John Williams in the BBC Music Magazine

Maglorfin

Got a used/read copy of this in the mail today, from a helpful soul in the UK. I just hope it doesn't have corona all over it as I read it on the bed tonight.

35 minutes ago, Thor said:

Got a used/read copy of this in the mail today, from a helpful soul in the UK. I just hope it doesn't have corona all over it as I read it on the bed tonight.

3 days is the maximum time that the virus can survive on a surface under ideal conditions, as far as I know. I assume international shipping should effectively kill all contained viruses by the time the package arrives.

On 11/27/2020 at 12:19 AM, The Lost Folio said:

In the U.S., I've often seen the BBC Music Magazine sold at Barnes & Noble. Worth a visit or a call if you live near one. 

Good tip, I went by Barnes & Noble today, and they did have this magazine, although it was the November issue. I'll try again next week.

So I read this.

The interview itself contained nothing new for us hardcore fans, except the news bit about the upcoming fanfare for Hollywood Bowl's 100th anniversary (which we've already covered in a thread of its own), but as always a pleasure to hear Williams speak in his modest style. Good writing by the author, integrating the quotes throughout. I particularly liked the sidebars, and totally agree with the writer that NWMWYD is a severely underrated JW gem.

While the writer is technically correct in that JW wrote most of his concert pieces from the 90s onwards, let's not dismiss the 25 pieces he wrote between the 50s and 80s.

Looking forward to perusing the rest of the magazine too; to see what's new and worth having in the world of classical music. While skimming it, I noticed it even had a blurb about a new album from our very own Ketil Bjørnstad.

That reminds me I have an album of Bjørnstad where he's reworking Bach, which I haven't checked out yet.

10 hours ago, Smeltington said:

Good tip, I went by Barnes & Noble today, and they did have this magazine, although it was the November issue. I'll try again next week.

Is that the one where they interviewed Beethoven?

He wants to come back to Vienna to study Haydn scores.... presume that's taken from the DG booklet.

Well, he also hopes to be in Berlin...to fetch the Opus Klassik 2021 for the best selling classical album in 2020...and 2021, maybe?

JOHN WILLIAMS IN VIENNA BECOMES 2020’S BEST-SELLING ORCHESTRAL ALBUM WITH 100,000 COPIES SOLD: Pressparty

NEW DOUBLE-ALBUM FAN EDITION TO BE RELEASED FEBRUARY 5 2021, INCLUDING 6 BONUS TRACKS & WILLIAMS’ ON-STAGE COMMENTARY

:nopity:

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I wonder what he'd say after watching the film for the first time.

He'd say, "Steven, you need a more lively composer than I am," and Spielberg would say, "I know, but they're all worse!"

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Thor said:

Alas, I didn't get the CD when a guy in the UK sent me his magazine. Is that good?

It's solid recordings of various carols (old & new), most of which I was entirely unfamiliar with. It's nice enough, and I don't have much of the sort anyway, so it's welcome. The Rutter piece is an exclusive recording, according to the listing. Check your PMs.

I guess I’ll wait until mid-January. It should arrive by then. Otherwise, I’ll inquiry for a refund and try ordering it again, but it seems very unlikely that I’ll have to do that. I can understand why it would take a while to arrive, considering that it is shipping from the U.K. to Florida and taking the slow mail service as a result of the pandemic into account.

My copy arrived the other day, but it had been sent in a normal magazine subscription plastic bag meaning there was zero protection - the cd case was poking through!

Otherwhise, the magazine is decent and I'm pleased to have this issue, it's my first Williams magazine feature.

On 12/23/2020 at 11:50 AM, JohnnyD said:

Did anyone in the U.S. who ordered this get their copy yet? I haven’t yet.

I haven't received mine yet either. Luckily, judging by the latest comments in this thread, there seems to be no reason to worry just yet.

My guess is we all get our copies at the end of December or first week of January.

A New Year’s Eve gift arrived in the mail. I finally received my copy of the magazine, and the article on Maestro John Williams is an excellent, delightful, insightful and inspiring read. I’m glad I got this issue of BBC Music; a lovely memento to keep with the films, film scores and concert works in my collection.

On 12/27/2020 at 10:22 PM, Martinland said:

Alright, before I read this thread and negative opinions might harm me like they did in that Vienna thread I just put down my fresh and sincere observations right now:

I waited with enjoying BBC magazine until this afternoon - you have to celebrate the few moments of joy these days...

...and I have to say this was a really interesting, well-researched article and engaging interview with new sights and some new insights as well plus it got me teary-eyed twice when, at the beginning of the second page of text, they stated that one concert luckily did happen and later on when Anne-Sophie Mutter observed the special atmosphere of this event and compared it to her other most significant musical moment of joy in her life as she gave her debut under Karajan.

So I was glad to have this as a memento and seeing Maestro John Williams still in good health and even amazingly positive spirit and I was shocked as well that - had I waited 3 more weeks - I would have read this _a_whole_year_ after the concert actually took place. Feels like yesterday and an earth age away at the same time.

Now I'll start reading this thread. ;)

Have a better one,

stay shaved,

Martin

I already played it thrice - once for us two (sans daughter this year, sadly), then for my parents, and yesterday during our festive meal, while reading the notes.

I actually adore two more modern ones, #10 and #12, that - according to the liner notes - also deal with the weather instead of the usual concerns in lyrics of these sorts...

P.S.: I'm also glad that the responses in this thread are generous, to the point, polite, or at least humorous. That's great; befitting this (strange but peaceful) holiday season.

One title on the excellent cover CD is a nice reminder of an existing Spielberg/Williams movie.

EMPIRE OF THE SUN (1987) Jim sings 'Suo Gân' - YouTube

It's a pretty good album, even if it's mixed very low, for some reason. "Suo Gan" will forever be associated with EMPIRE for me. It was strange to hear the original version of "In Dulce Jubilo"; I've only ever heard it in the upbeat Mike Oldfield version, which is my benchmark, really. Berlioz' "The Shepherd's Farewell" remains one of my favourite Christmas carols, although I prefer a version I own on a different CD.

I received my copy of the magazine in the mail today — and it arrived in utterly trashed condition 😣. The cd on the front didn’t help matters, being where the magazine spine ripped in two, presumably from a shit-ton of parcels lying on top of it during transit. But that doesn’t explain why the rest of cover, front and back, is full of creases.

I’m pissed. Now I have to drive to Barnes and noble, hoping against hope they stock bbc music on the shelf. 

On 12/5/2020 at 1:22 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

Was the packaging from Newsstand any good? Buysubscriptions shipped in a thin plastic bag that offered little protection.

50 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Was the packaging from Newsstand any good? Buysubscriptions shipped in a thin plastic bag that offered little protection.

That's how mine came (likely a big part of the reason why my copy was so damaged). Without even a cardboard or cardstock insert to help stiffen the magazine against the rigors of transit.

I emailed for a replacement without the CD, in hopes that at least the spine won't tear apart again, but the CD area was the one part of the magazine cover that didn't have creases all over it, so I have meager hopes that my replacement copy will come in any better shape. I would have paid more for better protection, if it were possible to do so.

No B&N near me stocks BBC Music, so I can only hope I have better luck with my replacement mailing. Or wait until it shows up on eBay at an inflated price.