BEST SCORE SOUNDTRACK FOR VISUAL MEDIA

Ad Astra, Max Richter
Becoming, Kamasi Washington
Joker, Hildur Guðnadóttir
1917, Thomas Newman
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, John Williams

https://www.etonline.com/2021-grammy-awards-nominations-the-full-list-156517

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/awards/63rd-annual-grammy-awards-2020

This is Williams' 72nd nomination - he has a chance to win the his 26th statuette. He has as many nominations as Henry Mancini now. Only Quincy Jones (80), Paul McCartney (78), Jay Z (77), Georg Solti (74) and Stevie Wonder (74) have more.

Probably Joker will win, although The Hateful Eight didn't beat The Force Awakens, which was quite a surprise.

Besides, the nomination itself is always a great honor.

The Joker soundtrack did almost during the whole film the opposite of what I would have expected and liked to have heard. And I don't mean that in a positive way. I mean, we are talking about a comic character here.

The songs in opposite worked well in the film. Something more in style with the songs would have been better.

This way it was just, hey, a story about a tortured soul turning into a weird psycho. So, let's underline that with uncomfortable atonal cello sounds. It is just like underlining every swear word in the story with a black marker. Just anoyingly overemphasising. That was my personal feeling. But anyone else seemed to be enchanted.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Apparently, Michael Giacchino loved it so much he decided Joker was one of the 5 best film scores ever written.

What? Is he serious?

Maybe there is something wrong with me, but I really appreciate the Joker, I like Ad Astra very much and I love TROS at the same time. In terms of composition, maturity, fantasy, orchestration, richness in melody and overall musical class, Williams music is the most outstanding among the five nominees.

4 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

Maybe there is something wrong with me, but I really appreciate the Joker,

No, you're right on the money. Totally support that view.

I like Ad Astra very much

Totally support it!

and I love TROS at the same time. 

Totally sup......oh, wait. Damn!

On 11/24/2020 at 8:28 PM, Thor said:

AD ASTRA should win the category. TROS is my least favourite of the candidates (not heard BECOMING, though).

You should!! Even Kamasi is better than John, he belongs to the bottom of the list. He belongs to the museum. 

3 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

You're all a bunch of misogynistic,  old white men.

" Its over GUYS, Its OVER!"

Good point. If I would have known by the time I was building my oppinion on the soundtrack that the composer is female probably I would have been more benevolent.

Maybe with that knowledge now I should watch the movie again and make a new judgement.

On 11/24/2020 at 10:09 AM, Pawel P. said:

Probably Joker will win, although The Hateful Eight didn't beat The Force Awakens, which was quite a surprise.

Besides, the nomination itself is always a great honor.

TFA best out H8?!!!

😠😡😵

RECOUNT! RECOUNT!

1 hour ago, theBT said:

You should!! Even Kamasi is better than John, he belongs to the bottom of the list. He belongs to the museum. 

Will do. I'm not even familiar with the composer, and I tend to know most new composers cropping up.

8 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Glad that Max Richter is finally nominated for his incredible Ad Astra score. I was so disappointed that he didn't make the final five at the oscar, globes and Bafta.

But wasn't Ad Astra mostly scored by Lorne Balfe?

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

But wasn't Ad Astra mostly scored by Lorne Balfe?

No, it's mostly Richter. Balfe has a few action sequences and such.  It's about 70-30 Richter. I have a review here, btw: http://celluloidtunes.no/ad-astra-max-richter-lorne-balfe/

AD ASTRA is one of Balfe's best efforts, even though it pales in comparison to Richter's material (and the Bach stuff). Incidentally, I've been thoroughly enjoying his HIS DARK MATERIALS albums recently -- my favourite of his, I think.

So I disagree with the 'Balfe dismissal' that is so common in film music circles.

I think he would be honoured by Richter's treatment of it. Or other versions of his music in popular music, like Procol Harum's "A Whiter Shade of Pale".

On 11/24/2020 at 12:52 PM, Pawel P. said:

This is Williams' 72nd nomination - he has a chance to win the his 26th statuette. He has as many nominations as Henry Mancini now. Only Quincy Jones (80), Paul McCartney (78), Jay Z (77), Georg Solti (74) and Stevie Wonder (74) have more.

John  Williams and Jay Z should never be mentioned in the same sentence!

On 11/29/2020 at 4:45 AM, Thor said:

I think he would be honoured by Richter's treatment of it. Or other versions of his music in popular music, like Procol Harum's "A Whiter Shade of Pale".

Nope. PALE is often mistaken for a Bach piece but it is ORIGINAL. It doez have some similarities to " Wachet Auf"

and " Air.on A G string"   

Endeth lesson😊