Alan Silvestri's PINOCCHIO (2022)

Jay

It's Zemeckis' next film

https://deadline.com/2020/01/pinocchio-robert-zemeckis-to-direct-1202840440/

https://deadline.com/2020/08/tom-hanks-geppetto-pinocchio-movie-robert-zemeckis-disney-1202998669/

And it's already confirmed that Silvestri is scoring on the GSA website

https://www.gsamusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Silvestri_Alan-14.pdf

That link reveals the songs will be co-composed with Glen Ballard (presumably the 1940 songs will be in there too)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4593060

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Cast announced

Benjamin Evan Ainsworth as Pinocchio

Lorraine Bracco as Sofia the Seagull

Luke Evans as The Coachman

Cynthia Erivo as the Blue Fairy

Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Jiminy Cricket

Tom Hanks as Geppetto

Keegan Michael-Key as Honest John

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Cast announced

Benjamin Evan Ainsworth as Pinocchio

Lorraine Bracco as Sofia the Seagull

Cynthia Erivo as the Blue Fairy

Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Jiminy Cricket

Keegan Michael-Key as Honest John

Joseph Gordon-Levitt has such a Jiminy Cricket face :lol:

Did I miss a special event around Pinocchio recently cause it's going to be the third movie in a short period. There is already an Italian version which has been released last year, the one from del Toro is coming this year (although I could be mistaken with all those delay) and now this one.

It reminds me 2013 when they'd released White House Down and Olympus has Fallen with only few months of difference. Doesn't help them with their image of a lack of imagination. Anyway I'm still more interrested by the del Toro's version.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

It's called twin films and there's been more than you think:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_films

There's a new thread... twin films... twin scores. Antz versus A Bug's Life. Who will win? Only one way to find out... fight!

Although back on topic... this doesn't exactly scream "film that needs to be made" but still... good cast so remain hopeful.

Just now, Tom Guernsey said:

There's a new thread... twin films... twin scores. Antz versus A Bug's Life. Who will win? Only one way to find out... fight!

Go for it!

I think the first time I encountered this phenomenon was in the early 90s, with the two ROBIN HOOD movies coming out the same year. But there's also DEEP IMPACT/ARMAGEDDON etc. etc.

Just now, Thor said:

Go for it!

I think the first time I encountered this phenomenon was in the early 90s, with the two ROBIN HOOD movies coming out the same year. But there's also DEEP IMPACT/ARMAGEDDON etc. etc.

Haha, OK... start yet another thread with about 3 comments then fizzle ;-)

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Pinocchio himself looks straight out of the original film. Amazing!

And I think Tom Hanks is very well casted as Gepetto!

This is one of my all time favourite Disney films, so I hope it will be good. Can't wait to see a live action Monstro!!!

I really hope Hanks is doing a cartoonish Italian accent.  I also hope Pratt is doing one in the Mario movie.  2022: the year cartoonish Italian accents make their big Hollywood comeback.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Is there a way to watch this without being subscribed to Disney+? 

I'm looking for something no strings attached. 

On 10/03/2022 at 2:46 PM, Stu said:

2022: the year cartoonish Italian accents make their big Hollywood comeback.

2021. House of Gucci was 2021.

2 hours ago, Positivatee said:

Is there a way to watch this without being subscribed to Disney+? 

I'm looking for something no strings attached. 

No, there won't be.

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Cast Away, Part 2

image.png

At least Cast Away looked like it was shot in the actual ocean. I don't understand this level of laziness is doing these scenes on sound stages; I really don't

Really excited for this! (the score, not the movie) Silvestri just posted the trailer on his Instagram, so clearly he's still scoring it.

It would be truly shocking if Silvestri didn't.  Zemeckis-Silvestri must be the most consistent of the major Hollywood director-composer collaborations, having not missed one film together since the relationship started.

It seems for Disney that "black" is the new "blue"! :mrgreen:

(Hey that's just a joke, I don't have anything against that).

Well, Pinocchio in 2022, it's still a story about an old single man who fantasize about a boy doll... so much he wants him alive. :mellow:

50 minutes ago, Stu said:

It would be truly shocking if Silvestri didn't.  Zemeckis-Silvestri must be the most consistent of the major Hollywood director-composer collaborations, having not missed one film together since the relationship started.

It's their 19th consecutive feature together

Incidentally Spielberg-Williams's longest consecutive streak is also 19 in between The Color Purple and Bridge of Spies. So Zemeckis-Silvestri will pass them up if/when they do the next one.

Now I wonder if any director/composer pair has ever gotten to 20 in a row.

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

Random aside: Figaro in the original movie is without doubt the cutest cat in cinema history

I once named one of my cats Figaro.

Figaro GIFs | Tenor

30 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I feel for the artists forced to work on this kind of thing.

I know what you mean. 

It's a shame. Zemeckis - along with Spielberg, Cameron, et al - was a pioneer movie director when it came to using computer visual effects, when the technology was still in its infancy. And right up until Cast Away, there are some great examples of 'invisible CGI' (the sort I love - that's where the real craft is, in my opinion) --- I can forgive his foray into CG animation (Polar Express and Beowulf) because it paved the tech for better things.

Basically, what I'm saying is, I want to see Zemeckis make another character-focused film with great but hidden CGI. 

If none of that makes sense, it's because I've had a bit of wine.

JNH probably would have had fun with all of Shyamalan's later movies, obviously the rest of the Unbreakable trilogy is missed, but I particularly would have loved to hear his Old score. I feel like he would have done something interesting. 

• 2 months later...

I look his look. Very faithful to the original.

Only thing missing for me, which is kinda important, is that he doesn't look very much like he's made of wood. More like he's plastic.

But it's just one image. I'll wait for a trailer of the whole thing to judge completely

After seeing this. I think this looks incredible. Beautiful visuals. And the effects are very strong.

Amazing cast.

Excited to hear Silvestri's score. Hope he get's to mix in the old themes

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I want to take my kids to the theater to see this.

After 2019, when Dumbo flopped but Aladdin and The Lion King were successful, I think Disney will only release their remakes in theaters if they come from an animation produced after 1989

7 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

After seeing this. I think this looks incredible. Beautiful visuals. And the effects are very strong.

Amazing cast.

Excited to hear Silvestri's score. Hope he get's to mix in the old themes

It looks lovely and I'm always up for a Silvestri/Zemeckis collaboration but I'm kinda thinking this will be exactly as I imagine it will be. Mostly like the original film, some shot for shot remakes of certain scenes, a few differences to flesh (as it were) certain bits out and modernise the odd thing, but otherwise a somewhat pedestrian live action recreation of the animation. I have to admit that the Guillermo del Toro version looks much more interesting, although I'm equally excited for both scores.