Alexandre Desplat's PINOCCHIO (2022)

Jay

What's up with all these PINOCCHIOs as of late? The 2019 Garrone/Marianelli version hasn't even premiered in Norway yet. And now there's both a Del Toro/Desplat and Zemeckis/Silvestri version coming?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Cast announced

David Bradley as Geppetto

Gregory Mann as Pinocchio

Ewan McGregor as Jiminy Cricket

Ron Perlman as Mangiafuoco

Christoph Waltz as The Fox

Finn Wolfhard as Lampwick

Tilda Swinton, Cate Blanchett, John Turturro, Tim Blake Nelson, Burn Gorman in unspecified roles

Well, the original story is quite bleak. I didn't even realise just how bleak until recently.

And yes, I hope Desplat gets to explore that.

Karol

I'm 46 yo... soon 47 in few days... I've seen the original Walt Disney, a cartoon TV series, a movie with this italian actor, who I forget his name, but who is really "too much"... Hollywood no longer has an original ideas?

Oh the thread's name changed from Silvestri to D'ESS-PLAW.

Sorry, I no longer care!

Best Pinocchio adaptations are A.I. (yes, I consider it an adaptation of sorts), the Disney movie and this live action television series that I remember watching on the telly in the late 80s or early 90s. I think it was Italian, but I can't find it anywhere by googling. Weird.

A.I. is an adaptation of the book wondering if computers dream of electronic sheeps [Insert the exact reference here], give me a break Thor!

A.I. is an adaptation of the book wondering if computers dream of electronic sheeps [Insert the exact reference here], give me a break Thor!

I know. "Supertoys Last All Summer Long", to be exact ("Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" is BLADE RUNNER). But it's also very much a Pinocchio story. Heck, it even references Pinocchio directly on multiple occasions.

Just now, GerateWohl said:

I liked that animé show in the late 70s in television. That was my Pinocchio. 

:sarcasm:

10 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

But then Frankenstein is Pinocchio, too.

Not really comparable.

Not sure why I need to make a case that A.I. is a "Pinocchio story", and that Kubrick and Spielberg both have intended that reference to be up-front. It should be fairly obvious to everyone. You know, blue fairy and everything. The boy who wants to be real and loved. 

• 8 months later...
On 04/03/2021 at 10:12 AM, Jay said:

Cast announced

David Bradley as Geppetto

Ewan McGregor as Jiminy Cricket

Christoph Waltz as The Fox

Finn Wolfhard as Lampwick

Tilda Swinton, Cate Blanchett, John Turturro, Tim Blake Nelson, Burn Gorman in unspecified roles

Updated cast:

Ewan McGregor as the Talking Cricket
David Bradley as Master Geppetto
Tilda Swinton as the Fairy with Turquoise Hair
Christoph Waltz as the Fox and the Cat
Cate Blanchett as the Dove
Tim Blake Nelson as the Coachman
Finn Wolfhard as Lampwick/Lucignolo
John Turturro as Master Cherry
Burn Gorman as the Carabiniere

Also, Netflix has set a 2022 release date for this.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

David Bradley is a random piece of casting for Geppetto.

I love the actor. Very strong.

But it'll be weird to see an actor who has portrayed some of nastiest/despicable characters in Film & TV in the last couple of years, perform a role in which his charachter you're supposed to like.

I can't see the actor anymore without seeing Walder Frey.

33 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

He played a splendid Dr. Who #1. 

Yes, I really enjoyed Bradley in both An Adventure in Space and Time and in "Twice Upon a Time."  "Dinosaurs on Space Ship" is far from a classic (thanks Chibnall) but he was fine as the baddie in that too!

But still, warm and fatherly isn't really Bradley's vibe.  Then again this is the Del Toro Pinocchio so I'm sure he's got a darker take than Disney.

On 19/11/2021 at 3:39 PM, Alex said:

David Bradley is a random piece of casting for Geppetto.

Bradley is the voice of Merlin on Guillermo del Toro's Trollhunters-show. He also had a role in The Strain so they've worked together before.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's amazing how different this shot is compared to the Hanks shot from the other film

FNfl-e0XsBAuPnp?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

275733557_1996587710514979_5646346723893419511_n.jpg

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's amazing how different this shot is compared to the Hanks shot from the other film

FNfl-e0XsBAuPnp?format=jpg&name=large

Hide contents

275733557_1996587710514979_5646346723893419511_n.jpg

I'm guessing this'll sound like typical Desplat in the same way that Silvestri's will sound like typical Silvestri... that having cynically being said, I like them both so looking forward to them anyway. At least this version looks like it'll be less of a slavish live action copy of the animated film, which I imagine is how the Zemeckis version will turn out

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Every time I've let myself get excited for a GDT film, I come away disappointed.  There's just something about his (metaphorical) voice that doesn't click with me.  That said, I'm very much looking forward to Desplat's score.  I loved his Shape of Water soundtrack, despite thinking the film was just dreadful.

I do love hearing/reading GDT talk about other people's movies.  He rivals Scorsese for his infectious passion on the subject.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

His last movie, Nightmare Alley, was pretty great. But his masterpiece for me remains Pan's Labyrinth. One of the best dark fantasy movies ever made.

Absolutely. A phenomenal film.

Finally watched the teaser.  Looks cool!  I really like the visuals.  Whether or not another telling of the same story will be interesting is another story

I'm looking forward to Desplat's score.  I don't like all his scores, but he has many scores that I like a lot

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am greatly looking forward to the score, but GDT for me is like how some people are genetically unable to enjoy the taste of cilantro.   He just tastes like soap to me, metaphorically speaking.

For the record, I love cilantro, but not GDT!

Agh. Two Pinocchio films in 2022 so my usual approach of labelling things in iTunes with the same title using the year in brackets after to differentiate them won’t work. I think I’ve reached peak first world problems… (may have to pretend it’s 2023. Refuse to call it GDT’s Pinocchio. Ugh.)