Alexandre Desplat's PINOCCHIO (2022)

Jay

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/10/2022 at 12:27 PM, Gibster said:

Some pretty good music in the background

Nice interview snippet. I don't think I've seen Desplat in a tie before. It suits him. (Pun intended.)

Wow, I hadn't watched that trailer until today, but it's pretty crazy!  Looks like there's just a ton of stuff going on in this movie.  I'll see it.  Desplat's score might just be something special

6 minutes ago, Gibster said:

Thanks, There are Horns and Clarinet in here, so the only wooden, nonmetal instruments was a lie?

and every woodwind instrument has at least metal keys unless it's a recorder.  Piano and harp are both metal strings.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody else seen it yet? Checked it out the other day, doesn't look like anybody posted this yet, one of Desplat's loveliest melodies ever? 

Not all the songs worked for me but this one's a keeper. Loved the score, especially for how much it carries the beginning and ending, really resonates. Gotta be up there on the Desplat power rankings. 

That song is pleasant, but not a melody that's stuck in my head, really.

The other two tracks on the EP are fine but not something I'd go out of my way to listen to. Like filmmusic I've never really warmed to Desplat much.

"Better Tomorrows" is a lovely, old-fashioned song.

"Carlo's Theme" (and the various cues that incorporate it) are great as well.

Much of the rest doesn't do too much for me -- the ending is particularly disappointing and anti-climactic -- but there are some beautiful moments and Desplat's use of woodwinds is refreshing as always.

Yeah, I agree with this feeling. The score works nice in the movie but outside of it, I only found enjoyment in the various arrangements of Carlo's theme and a couple more cues like the Blue Fairy material. The rest doesn't do much for me.

Has anyone been able to figure out if there are any other themes in the score? I think while watching the movie I picked up a choral motif for the blue fairy (Wood Sprite in this version), and similar ideas for the Death spirit, but most of them sound quite elusive to me.

Obviously the circus and traveling cues, which (re) use a handful of motifs. But the main theme clearly is the only really sing-along tune. It's too long by at least half an hour, but the boy's singing voice is so grating i had to skip these parts. And there are quite a few of these singing parts in it.

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What about Pearl Earring or Imitation Game?

I have listened to each once and didn't have the need to re-listen.

I guess I should re-listen to Pearl Earring which is the most likely to enjoy, since I'm most keen on drama scores.

4 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I have listened to each once and didn't have the need to re-listen.

I guess I should re-listen to Pearl Earring which is the most likely to enjoy, since I'm most keen on drama scores.

I mostly share your sentiments, but these two scores were good enough to warrant purchasing. I did debate with myself before purchasing, though, so you could say they barely made it into my collection. 

Loved the movie, generally liked the music on the digital release but it's an absolute mess. Wildly out of chronology all over the place, terrible way to end it, the climax is missing... it's like they just put it in a randomiser.

And looking at the physical release, they put that in a different randomiser, better in some ways, even worse in others.

I started trying to put the digital release into chronology but gave up when I was sure I couldn't find the finale cues.

I had the same. The album is a bit of a mess. It's wonderful music but it's terribly put together.

I feel that is kind of because the end of the film score-wise is mostly straight reprises of Carlo's theme

But doesn't this score have an FYC album? Is that one in order, and with the finale cue intact? 

Or is it like everything else this year, and just OST tracks? 

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched this movie, and Carlo's theme as well as the "My Son" theme had me in tears. I was so disappointed to discover afterwards that the lengthy orchestral version of "My Son" from the very end of the film doesn't appear to have made it onto the album.

• 4 weeks later...

Great work!!!!

but one tiny question: Why did you type out the track names in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS?