What's your favorite John Powell release of 2020?

Jay

What's your favorite John Powell release of 2020?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite John Powell release of 2020?

• Call of the Wild (February)
    • Forces of Nature (September)
    • How To Train Your Dragon: Deluxe Edition (October)
    • Solo: A Star Wars Story: Deluxe Edition (November)

I love Solo and know it's more significant but HttYD so came out of left field and it's closer to me and I love that booklet and that new mix... it's gotta take my favourite spot.

As much as I love the Solo Deluxe release, the fact that HTTYD has the full orchestral score to match the Varese deluxe release adds just enough to put it on top. 

Solo with HTTYD as a close second. I've not listened to Call of the Wild yet. Should probably correct that soon.

I've been humming themes and sections from Call of the Wild for months - it's such a hummable and evocative score.

The Solo DE has given that score a boost, but it's a different sort of listening experience.

Solo. It really brings the score to life. I know I haven't fully commented on it yet in that thread, but the Deluxe really helps that score shine even more than it did on the OST in my opinion.

HTTYD is also excellent, but I already knew it was excellent. The deluxe edition didn't make as drastic of an impression on me. It's marvelous, it just didn't elevate the score quite as much as Solo's did. Although I do agree that the sheet music gives it some bonus point. Solo edges it out for me.

7 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

HTTYD is also excellent, but I already knew it was excellent. The deluxe edition didn't make as drastic of an impression on me. It's marvelous, it just didn't elevate the score quite as much as Solo's did. Although I do agree that the sheet music gives it some bonus point. Solo edges it out for me.

Plus we already had the FYC and leaks.

6 hours ago, Spider-Fal said:

Plus we already had the FYC and leaks.

Indeed. All the DE really did was give us a legal and slightly better sounding arrangement of what we already had. It's great to have, but hardly revelatory.

5 hours ago, Arpy said:

Solo was announced weeks in advance whereas there was no indication of an expanded HTTYD. 

But when it was announced, did we expect it at all? Were there indications prior?