Jump to content

Coronavirus 2: This Time No Politics (promise )


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The biggest advantage of the asian countries that managed to get almost out of the pandemia is that they understand that the least this is a question about courage or bravery. I think, a pandemia

Okay, okay, okay, let’s finish this year in style!  

I'm starting to think that Drax created Bruce to replace Gruesome. 

Just make a new thread for the upcoming third wave. The previous thread was technically only made for the first wave, but we got an extended edition when wave 2 hit and moar misery needed to be reported (by Alex). 

 

32 minutes ago, BLUMENKOHL said:

You kids got it closed. How fuckin’ stupid do you have to be to not be able to pull one over Jay? 

 

I can't speak for Drax, Justin or Alex, but for me it's more about resisting the temptation to get a thread shut down just for the sheer hell of it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite a 0.7 % infection rate and the lowest per capita death rate in the country , San Franciscans are running around like scared rabbits.

Even though ALL the restrictions are aimed at INDOOR activity, folks here wear masks outdoors- even if nobody is around. They think you can catch COVID just by quickly walking past somebody

on the street. Even if they are masked!

Just following orders like good Germans.

Ignorant of the facts, cowering in fear.

Sad.

 

In case you missed it:

 

According to the Center for disease Control...

 

- avoid crowded , indoor spaces

- the virus dilutes in air and as long as you are six feet from others you are not at risk

 

- to become sick you would have to be in CLOSE contact with an INFECTED person for an EXTENDED period of time. Probably at least five minutes. Casual contact is not likely to result in infection.

 

- it has now been determined that COVID is Not being spread via surfaces. Disinfecting surfaces is not necessary.

 

Be at Peace and without fear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2020 at 6:40 PM, bruce marshall said:

it has now been determined that COVID is Not being spread via surfaces. Disinfecting surfaces is not necessary


this is false.  Surface/fomites are not considered to be a major source of transmission, but are a source of transmission nonetheless.

 

https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-020-09296-y

 

https://link.springer.com/epdf/10.1186/s12985-020-01418-7

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me just say what utterly misguided, delusional, and idiotic notion it is,

 

a. to ban international politics talk on a public forum, and further

 

b. to believe you can separate Coronavirus from politics. 

 

The mods and admins of this board live in a fantasy world. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Let me just say what utterly misguided, delusional, and idiotic notion it is,

 

a. to ban international politics talk on a public forum, and further

 

b. to believe you can separate Coronavirus from politics. 

 

The mods and admins of this board live in a fantasy world. 

 

Which essentially means the dispicably hypocritical actions by the Californian governor and a senior bureaucrat regarding the lockdown are verboten in this discussion.

 

I'm shocked my UFO thread is still open, since it's hard to talk about that subject matter without invoking the forbidden "g" word.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

 

Which essentially means the dispicably hypocritical actions by the Californian governor and a senior bureaucrat regarding the lockdown are verboten in this discussion.

 

I'm shocked my UFO thread is still open, since it's hard to talk about that subject matter without invoking the forbidden "g" word.

 

To think actions by the WHO, who operate through laws of national constitutions, aren't political by nature, is frankly outrageously tone deaf. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

 

Unless authorities feel differently and they won't allow you to engage in activities like work or travel without showing proof of vaccination.

 

I hear what you're saying and I know what you're getting at, but I think an argument for such an approach could be made in certain occupational scenarios, people working in high risk environments for example; hospitals, care homes. It would probably be means tested, but I can certainly envision a situation where working with vulnerable people made inoculation a necessary requirement of employment at this time.

 

Panicky overreactions aside, such measures would in practice only affect a small minority of the populace, the likes of whom no doubt wouldn't have any issue with receiving the vaccine anyway.

 

Of course, this won't stop the acutely paranoid conspiracy nutjobs of the world thinking that this isn't all some new world order scheme to control the plebs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mstrox said:

 

Vaccination for a virus protects by attacking at it two ways. 

 

The first way - one vaccine to one person provides one person incomplete protection - in the case of the limited data about these vaccines, it is less likely that an inoculated person will become ill and less likely that that illness would be severe.  In that sense, you wouldn't "require" a vaccine because you're generally young and healthy - although TBH I would get the COVID vaccine for the same reason that I get the flu vaccine every year - being sick ain't fun and as above the vaccine would make you less likely to become ill, and less likely to have severe illness if you do become ill.

 

The second way - widespread buy-in to a vaccine provides a separate protection.  The so-called "herd immunity" - which is the endgame. If the vaccine provides the above protections to people who are inoculated, the more people who are inoculated, the faster community immunity is established and the remaining cases of the virus will peter out.  I'd argue that everybody should be vaccinated unless unable - including young and low-risk people, who are the most common vector of infection and spread in communities (at least here in the US).  This provides protection for those who are older and who can not be vaccinated for any number of reasons including immunocompromise.  And, it has the added bonus of speeding the ability for society to get back to normal or near-normal.  This makes good sense in a lot of ways - it keeps people well, it allows more places to open which allows more people to go into the community and work and more people to feel safe to go spend their money and support those places.  The more buy-in on vaccine, the faster the virus is choked out.  It's an act of goodwill towards your neighbors, in the same way that keeping your distance, masking, etc. is.

Thank you for actually knowing what you're talking about! It's refreshing in these threads.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Quintus said:

The majority of the current posters here wouldn't require inoculation anyway. Maybe Joey and Alex would be happy to form a queue, I don't know. I'm guessing you don't feel it necessary?

Hey I never get the flu shot or the pneumonia shot but Ive never lost someone close to me from those. I am in no rush to get the vaccine. I will bide my time. Lee dont forget Kmark and even Ricard are almost as old. So is Bespin and Naive. 

I am comfortable social distancing, wearing a mask outside of work or home.  I rarely wear gloves. And I do not obsessively wash my hands. Its true you youngest here are not likely to die of COVID-2019 but far more likely to die horribly from a peanut butter sandwich 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jay said:

How old is "old?  I'm 41.  Are all the members you mentioned 50+? 60+?

Jay as far as I know Im the oldest and I just turned 60 the day before you turned 41. Older is 50 and up. Older than dirt is 70. 

 

You are still a young man. Let me say this each decade seems to be better than the last. Protect yourself so you are Marcy have a lifetime that gets better and better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mstrox said:

 

Vaccination for a virus protects by attacking at it two ways. 

 

The first way - one vaccine to one person provides one person incomplete protection - in the case of the limited data about these vaccines, it is less likely that an inoculated person will become ill and less likely that that illness would be severe.  In that sense, you wouldn't "require" a vaccine because you're generally young and healthy - although TBH I would get the COVID vaccine for the same reason that I get the flu vaccine every year - being sick ain't fun and as above the vaccine would make you less likely to become ill, and less likely to have severe illness if you do become ill.

 

The second way - widespread buy-in to a vaccine provides a separate protection.  The so-called "herd immunity" - which is the endgame. If the vaccine provides the above protections to people who are inoculated, the more people who are inoculated, the faster community immunity is established and the remaining cases of the virus will peter out.  I'd argue that everybody should be vaccinated unless unable - including young and low-risk people, who are the most common vector of infection and spread in communities (at least here in the US).  This provides protection for those who are older and who can not be vaccinated for any number of reasons including immunocompromise.  And, it has the added bonus of speeding the ability for society to get back to normal or near-normal.  This makes good sense in a lot of ways - it keeps people well, it allows more places to open which allows more people to go into the community and work and more people to feel safe to go spend their money and support those places.  The more buy-in on vaccine, the faster the virus is choked out.  It's an act of goodwill towards your neighbors, in the same way that keeping your distance, masking, etc. is.

 

Yes, that too. Although, I expressly cater for common reading eyes whenever I type here, and in that regard I am quite aware that no matter how convenient or useful to all the vaccine may become, some would rather decline it (for their own reasons) anyway, and furthermore some quarters of society would absolutely not wish to ever be [lawfully] compelled to submit to any sort of mass vaccination program, for a disease of this particular severity. Being able to opt out, as well as in, is quite important in all this.

 

As for myself, I will play it by ear. Like I do pretty much everything in my life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Quintus said:

 

Yes, that too. Although, I expressly cater for common reading eyes whenever I type here, and in that regard I am quite aware that no matter how convenient or useful to all the vaccine may become, some would rather decline it (for their own reasons) anyway, and furthermore some quarters of society would absolutely not wish to ever be [lawfully] compelled to submit to any sort of mass vaccination program, for a disease of this particular severity. Being able to opt out, as well as in, is quite important in all this.

 

As for myself, I will play it by ear. Like I do pretty much everything in my life.

I have a gay friend who is HIV and the vaccines may or may not have unknown side effects do to medicine combinations that have yet to be tested. I understand his reluctance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...