Coronavirus 2: This Time No Politics (promise )

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The biggest advantage of the asian countries that managed to get almost out of the pandemia is that they understand that the least this is a question about courage or bravery. I think, a pandemia

Okay, okay, okay, let’s finish this year in style!  

I'm starting to think that Drax created Bruce to replace Gruesome. 

I figured it would be a Non-Frontline Non-Essential worker. I was hoping it would be me, but I guess I should just pray every time I enter an elderly customer's residence be it a house or Skilled Nursing Facility that I don't accidentally kill them with the Coronavirus.

No offense to Stu, of course.

I take no offense.  I completely agree that the vaccine distribution has been a complete failure pretty much across the board.

Every average individual should get the vaccine if made available to them though because of course it is most important that *everyone get vaccinated*.  The failures of the governments and health departments are neither our fault nor our responsibility to fix as individuals.

On 1/17/2021 at 7:24 PM, The Big Man said:

I'm quite proud of our high unemployment levels and crumbling businesses.

The economy and livelihoods can recover.  The dead cannot.

At any rate, if you get more deaths and incidence of disease, the economic effects would end up being worse and more prolonged.  There are no wins or magic bullets in this situation, but Australia's approach is about as good as you can get in this situation.  

49 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I made the Coronavirus my bitch. I may yet be afflicted by it but I'm flourishing as an Essential Frontline Worker with expendable income and masculinity to lure a beautiful woman and cashing in on unused Covid hazard pay.

Sounds like a foolproof and psychologically stable formula to happiness!

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I just hope there’s enough supply for every one to get the second dose and complete the vaccination.

Here we put aside half of every batch we receive for exactly that, which works out great with the current shortages, does that not happen there?

4 hours ago, Holko said:

Here we put aside half of every batch we receive for exactly that, which works out great with the current shortages, does that not happen there?

They decided it was more important to just start sticking as many people as possible since the first dose does give some protection 

When Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar announced this weekthat the federal government would begin releasing coronavirus vaccine doses that had been held in reserve for second shots, no such reserve existed, according to state and federal officials briefed on distribution plans. The Trump administration had already begun shipping out what was available, starting at the end of December, taking second doses for the two-dose regimen directly off the manufacturing line.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/01/15/trump-vaccine-reserve-used-up/%3FoutputType%3Damp

13 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Steve thinks no-one starves or kills themselves when their businesses or jobs vanish. And if they do, they're acceptable losses. I mean hey, at least they didn't die from covid!

Yeah, sure that's what I believe.  Bugger off. 

Just think honestly for a second and it becomes clear  that if you wait to implement measures to stop the virus's spread or only implement half-hearted measures cases and deaths rise which in turn leads to economic downturn and even more restrictive measures to stop the spread of the virus, which leads to more economic downturn, and *that* is what leads to the despair that you stupidly and rudely accuse me of shrugging off, and thus the cycle that a lot of the world has been dealing with.  Of course, we've got to add to that folks who refuse to comply with even the most basic measures to slow the spread of the virus either because they don't believe in it, are dumb contrarians, just don't care, or are outright hypocrites.

And all that is just short term.  Even people who recover or were asymptomatic can have permanent lung, cardiovascular or brain damage, all of which adds additional cost and drain on society.    

Oh, and I've unsuccessfully attempted to find work, but you and Justin know that and using my current employment status against me like that is just another example of your recent descent.

The new argument the Shut It Downers use to keep everything closed forever is that you can contract various strains of ChinaVirus. So if you're immune to the current strain, you can still get the latest strain when the goalpost changes. So because we have all these strains, immunity is impossible. Therefore, we should keep everything shut down forever. Cancel all life plans. It's over. That's it. We got strains.

Fairly sure that vaccines and immunity will still hold for new strains, or at least that’s what we’re being told in the UK

Had my vaccine (Pfizer) 2 weeks ago, which was nice.

4 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

The new argument the Shut It Downers use to keep everything closed forever is that you can contract various strains of ChinaVirus. So if you're immune to the current strain, you can still get the latest strain when the goalpost changes. So because we have all these strains, immunity is impossible. Therefore, we should keep everything shut down forever. Cancel all life plans. It's over. That's it. We got strains.

To be honest, I don't think, that this is about making up arguments to destroy your life but to get this pandemic somehow under control with a minimum amount of human losses and economic breakdowns. So, if you have a better plan, and you can justify it based on solid data and scientific studies, then go for it. I think, every competent helping hand is very welcome these days.

5 hours ago, Bofur01 said:

Fairly sure that vaccines and immunity will still hold for new strains, or at least that’s what we’re being told in the UK

I'm sure it was nice to be vaccinated. Are you a Doctor, Nurse or in the "Medical Profession" which also includes my clerk at Target Optical or are you 65 or older?

On 1/19/2021 at 6:49 PM, Disco Stu said:

Got my first jab 2.5 hours ago.  No adverse reaction as of yet!

On 1/19/2021 at 7:06 PM, Bespin said:

@Disco Stu Are you the first JWfan to be vaccinated?

On 1/19/2021 at 7:30 PM, Disco Stu said:

I dunno, am I?

Turns out you were not:

6 hours ago, Bofur01 said:

My sister, who is the pastor at a closed church,works from home at all times and doesn't leave home at all (church services/groups/activities have been virtual since it got too cold to do things outdoors) - but she just was tested and diagnosed with COVID.  She either got it from her husband (who is also a virtual-only pastor, and who only leaves home for masked grocery runs - so if he was a carrier he was asymptomatic) or from the surface of some mail, package,  or take-out container.

COVID is no joke.  I'm anxious to get the vax.  We're still wrecked in several ways from our bout with it in March 2020.  There were no tests available at the time, but our docs agree that given our symptoms and ongoing effects that it was COVID.   My spouse was diagnosed with asthma a few months after we were sick and still uses her rescue inhaler ~5x a week.   I have occasional heart palpitations, occasional weird shortness of breath issues, but mainly rolling fatigue that hits at random and lasts for a week or so at a time.  I was running for a little bit in the summer, and would have to take a week off here or there based on the fatigue stuff - and then I had a monster fatigue spell that lasted almost an entire month, at which point I stopped running in case that was a trigger.  I might try running again in the spring...

With the most recent vaccine rules revisions a couple of days ago, we are both now in the first phase of Pennsylvania's roll-out given various health issues.  Since that phase also includes everyone in the state over the age of 65, it's been a mad rush for people to snatch up appointments - my retired parents have been trying nonstop for days unsuccessfully.

Since we've been fortunate enough to limit interactions, we aren't rushing out - we'll wait until the distribution supply can keep up with the demand.  Being in the first phase feels kind of like jumping the line, even though we're theoretically considered higher risk.

I wish I could jump the line mainly because I regularly work in primary Covid victim elderly customers' homes, including nursing facilities which are the hotspots. I don't trust masks and hand sanitizers. It still manages to find a way to spread among the old and frail. I'm not concerned that I get it and cash in on more Covid pay. I could at least get it out of the way this year until I eventually get the shots. I'm sure I'd recover after a couple days of hell.

It varies from state to state, but in Pennsylvania, Justin would be in Phase "1C" (basically, a more optimistic name for "phase 3") based on his employment alone.  1A is for frontline health workers, people aged 65+, and younger individuals with some qualifying health condition.  1B is for essential workers in certain occupations (food supply, grocery, education, transit, clergy, childcare, prisons).  1C is for essential workers in other groups including food service, "information technology/communications" (which is the closest category for Justin), law, finance, media, etc etc.  "Phase 2" (the fourth phase) is for everyone else.

(Although in PA, Justin would actually qualify for the first phase, 1A, because "smoking" is a qualifying health condition)