Josh500

Which do you personally like better?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Score: Saving Private Ryan vs. War Horse

2. 2. Film: Saving Private Ryan vs. War Horse

• Saving Private Ryan
    • War Horse

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, the score, was not a favourite of mine in the 90s, but has grown on me considerably as I've grown older and fonder of slower and more textural landscapes.

Same here. Except for me, it has become one of my all-time favourites. At the beginning I only liked HTTF, but now I've grown to adore pretty much every single cue, especially Omaha Beach, The Last Battle, Normandy, and even Finding Private Ryan. It's really remarkable how indescribably good and listenable this score is, despite what many superficially think. (For me, it even surpasses War Horse, which of course I also like very much.) 

3 minutes ago, Josh500 said:
20 minutes ago, Thor said:

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, the score, was not a favourite of mine in the 90s, but has grown on me considerably as I've grown older and fonder of slower and more textural landscapes.

Same here. Except for me, it has become one of my all-time favourites. At the beginning I only liked HTTF, but now I've grown to adore pretty much every single cue

Huh. I will keep periodically trying in the coming years then.

14 minutes ago, Holko said:

Huh. I will keep periodically trying in the coming years then.

One example. 

Check out the moment starting at around 8:50. One of the best quieter moments in the film, and also one of the best scored ones. When the familiar theme starts playing (so graceful, soothing, and gorgeous!), I get goosebumps. I mean wow. Spielberg's top-notch direction also helps, needless to say. 

War Horse for score, and it's not even close. It's a more positive score than SPR and has so many memorable themes.

I chose SPR for film, but it's been ages since I saw either film. It's probably the better film, without the overkill of melodrama that WH has.

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What are its flaws?

The tone is all over the place. It has some spectacular moments, but also rather tedious, soap opera-ish sequences, like that whole French farm thing. But unlike other critics, I love the Victor Fleming/GONE WITH THE WIND tribute at the end.

14 minutes ago, Holko said:

Right. Next poll: best JW nazi score. Raiders, SPR, TLC, 1941, the list goes on!

you forgot Schindler's List. And Empire of the Sun if you would count in the Japaneses as allies of the nazis in WW2.

Weird.im Planning on watching SPR tonite; first time since the theatrical release!!!!

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What are its flaws?

Thor hates movies with animals and kids.

Seriously.😥

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Germany twice attacks the world; in turn, we get two fine JW scores.  

...and Stanley Kubrick passes away and we get a great JW score.

How " lucky" can we be?!

5 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Thor hates movies with animals and kids.

Seriously.😥

Ha, ha. Not quite. I have an issue with live action films featuring anthropomorphized animals, but in WAR HORSE, the horse pretty much behaved as a horse, so no big issue.

People forget how groundbreaking and INFLUENTIAL SPR was.

It was the first war film to show death in such a graphic manner.

Every war film since has followed its path up to and including GOT.

BUT, he's so " sentimental". Bollocks!

I confess I still need to see SPR. I do know the OST, though, so I can at least compare scores.

War Horse doesn't have any concert pieces like Hymn to the Fallen, which makes comparisons on that level difficult. The Hymn is stunning, a true Williams classic in my book. But the score proper is so subdued (by design) that I have a hard time enjoying it in the way I enjoy War Horse's more variegated musical landscape. For that reason, my gut says that War Horse is my overall winner.

War Horse is a wonderfully colourful and lyrical score! I’m longing for an expansion in a few years time

SPR is an incredible film, and the music works well (and of course its JW so it’s pretty incredible too!) but I think the War Horse score is just more impressive from a musical perspective.

Just rewatched SPR.

I skipped the prologue and epilogue at Normandy cemetery.

It works so much better!

Great film.

Some critics praised the D-DAy sequence but said the rest was just an " average" WWII flic.

Bullcrap!

16 hours ago, Thor said:

JW has a long list of WW2-related movies. Less so for WW1, though. I can only think of WAR HORSE.

That's mostly because of Spielberg, I'm sure. 

Although yeah, there is The Book Thief... 

16 hours ago, Tom said:

Germany twice attacks the world; in turn, we get two fine JW scores.  

And yet you ask the world, and 90% will tell you the most warmongering country on this planet is, by far, the USA. 

The Nazis attacked only Europe. 

11 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Weird.im Planning on watching SPR tonite; first time since the theatrical release!!!!

After 28 years you finally are getting around to it? Wth. :D

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Ha, ha. Not quite. I have an issue with live action films featuring anthropomorphized animals, but in WAR HORSE, the horse pretty much behaved as a horse, so no big issue.

So you're saying you don't like Babe

I adore the War Horse soundtrack even though I never saw the movie.

Saving Private Ryan I saw in the theatre at the time and I remember I was impressed at the beginning and in a way dissaointed at the end how it turned into some kind of war splatter action in the last third. And at the scene at the end where Tom Hanks is shooting with his pistol at the tank that is rolling up to him and then suddenly exploding I thought "Hey, isn't that the show down of Jaws?"

40 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

28? Wth? :D

No you idiot!

I saw it when it came out.

I'm Rewatching it!😠

24 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I adore the War Horse soundtrack even though I never saw the movie.

Saving Private Ryan I saw in the theatre at the time and I remember I was impressed at the beginning and in a way dissaointed at the end how it turned into some kind of war splatter action in the last third. And at the scene at the end where Tom Hanks is shooting with his pistol at the tank that is rolling up to him and then suddenly exploding I thought "Hey, isn't that the show down of Jaws?"

It was a plane that bombed the tank.

It's called a ' trick of the light".

Trumpe l'oeil in French.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

28? Wth? :D

Oh yeah. We're still in 2020.

After 22 years then... 😂 

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

And at the scene at the end where Tom Hanks is shooting with his pistol at the tank that is rolling up to him and then suddenly exploding I thought "Hey, isn't that the show down of Jaws?"

Yeah. I'm surprised that many people who watched the movie actually believe to this day that Tom Hanks's character shot at the tank and made it explode.

And I'm like. "Newsflash: The tank was bombed by the planes, duh... !"

I love it, when in the final scene of a movie just before the villain is going to win and a microsecond before he makes the final spell or shot or whatever somebody accidently opens the door beside him and by mistake pushes him off the window / roof whatever.

After rewatching the brilliant SPR, I checked out some of the IMDB reviews.

Thankfully, most of the reviews gave it the highest rating.

Some complained about its "pro- American " bias" ( " What about Russia? They lost more lives than ANYBODY!".)

Incredibly , the majority of negative reviews, one star, complained that thev

German army were portrayed as the " enemy". ???????😳

No doubt these reviews came from the 'Nazi Anti-defamation Leauge of Argentina'.😅😅😅😅😅

17 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Of course, film snobs don't like when that happens in films, and they've even got their own term for it.

Deus ex Machina

10 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Anyone else think this Was the temp track/ inspiration for HTTF?

Two beautiful WWII hymns.

Beautiful, yes. But there are literally thousands and thousands of choral pieces like this... 

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. Both categories. No contest. Lock, now.

You're a naive old fart, aren't ya? :P

15 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

You should have included Empire of the Sun in this poll, because those three built the "War Rethought Trilogy", where Spielberg looks at war through an exceptionally emotional lens.

Hmmm, yeah, maybe. But then what about Schindler's List...? 

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

Beautiful, yes. But there are literally thousands and thousands of choral pieces like this... 

YoY

No, there aren't . Especially since it was originally the main title for one if the greatest of all WWII films.

Check it out.

10 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

No, there aren't . Especially since it was originally the main title for one if the greatest of all WWII films.

Check it out.

I just listened to it. 

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

After rewatching the brilliant SPR, I checked out some of the IMDB reviews.

Thankfully, most of the reviews gave it the highest rating.

Some complained about its "pro- American " bias" ( " What about Russia? They lost more lives than ANYBODY!".)

Well, it's an American movie, that's why it has a strong pro-American bias. Nobody denies that. Even Spielberg himself admitted that. 

I know this comes as a shock to many people (Americans), but the Soviet Union defeated the Nazis, period. The Americans entered the war in the very last stages, when it was already abundantly clear that the Nazis were losing.... With the crazy anti-Russian propaganda bs going on in the US, most Americans aren't aware of that, and even if they did, they probably wouldn't care, either.