Williams composing fanfare for the Hollywood Bowl centennial - "Centennial Overture"

Miguel Andrade

According to Wiki:

The first season at the Hollywood Bowl began on July 11, 1922, with conductor Alfred Hertz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic.

We still have a bit of a wait, but it's always good to know what Johnny is working on.

On 11/27/2020 at 3:31 AM, pete said:

We still have a bit of a wait, but it's always good to know what Johnny is working on.

If the first season started in 1922, then the season starting in 2021 is the 100th season. 

Then again, the 2020 season was canceled because of covid, so I guess it's actually gonna be the 99th...

1 hour ago, Jay said:

If the first season started in 1922, then the season starting in 2021 is the 100th season. 

Then again, the 2020 season was canceled because of covid, so I, guess it's actually gonna be the 99th...

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I reckon the Vienna fanfare will be rather simple in order to avoid flubs and timing issues.

It will put an emphasis on the horns, to make full use of the glorious Viennese horn sound.

On 11/27/2020 at 6:13 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Are we sure no seasons in the past were cancelled?

It looks like 2020 was the only complete closure. 1942 saw limit in audience sizes to 5000 due to concerns about bombing. 1951 closed for 12 days before Dorothy Chandler raised money to reopen. 

And, from what I read at hollywoodbowl.com, the site itself actually was called the Hollywood Bowl after about 1920 so this is 100 years of that.

Regardless, great to have JW doing this piece for 2021 or whenever it premiers. 

On 11/27/2020 at 11:19 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

I reckon the Vienna fanfare will be rather simple in order to avoid flubs and timing issues.

:P

You seriously cannot realise when the(originally bad and impolite) joke is old and too much used? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

4 hours ago, King Mark said:

Galaxy's Edge proves Williams is still at the top of his Fanfare writing abilities so I have big hopes for these new ones

Hmm, I'm not sure his fanfare writing ability didn't peak in 1996 with Summon the Heroes, but yeah, Galaxy's Edge is fine and this is exciting ! 

6 hours ago, King Mark said:

Galaxy's Edge proves Williams is still at the top of his Fanfare writing abilities so I have big hopes for these new ones

Galaxy's Edge is not a fanfare per se, even though it has heraldic writing in some spots.

Btw, the man has written more fanfares than any other composer in the history of music. Don't be hard on him :)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Notably, that looks like JW conducting in the Instagram story above, although he's not listed on the LA Phil page as a conductor for the concert. So it's possible he's just helping with the rehearsal and will let Dudamel do it Friday night.

Wow. Amazing. 

The first half of the concert looks fantastic. It appears Branford Marsalis will be playing during Catch Me If You Can.

As for Gwen Stefani, I would leave at intermission! (We worked with her on Guitar Hero, and I have had enough to last me a lifetime.)

But back to the first half - amazing! I was hoping KUSC would broadcast this when they do their broadcast series (starts in September). Alas, they are only covering converts from July 22 until September 28 - but not really surprisingly, the Williams concerts and this 100th anniversary one are not on the list.

Interesting that it's named "Centennial Overture" and not "Centennial Fanfare" or "Fanfare for the Hollywood Bowl."  That's an encouraging sign that it will skew more toward "Overture to the Oscars" and less toward any of his more challenging brass fanfares.

@lairdo, did you have some role in the creation of Guitar Hero?  I was a Rock Band man myself, but how cool!

17 hours ago, Will said:

Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere, but we are apparently just days away from the premiere of a new Williams piece!!! :woop:

https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/events/performances/1938/2022-06-03/opening-night-at-the-bowl

image.png

So exciting -- JW in celebratory fanfare mode is my favorite style of his!!

Awesome! Cannot wait to hear this. Need a recording of the piece conducted by him, too!

18 hours ago, Will said:

Notably, that looks like JW conducting in the Instagram story above, although he's not listed on the LA Phil page as a conductor for the concert. So it's possible he's just helping with the rehearsal and will let Dudamel do it Friday night.

He's probably just conducting his own piece. He has been doing that the last few years when he's not billed.

Might as well speculate hours before its premiere.  I am thinking something closer to For Seiji in terms of Williams concertoish concert-hall sound versus his usual occasion pieces.  Also, I think longer versus shorter--maybe 7-8 minutes.  

11 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Like a production manager?

VP of Production. Basically managing the software and hardware teams making the games and then for a part of time as managing our supply chain operations. Effectively, keep everything going and allow the creative teams to do their best while ensuring we hit the date. Listened to a lot of rock music! (And then DJ Music when we did DJ Hero.)

Most fun film-related thing I did as part of that was to commission a rock guitar heavy version of the James Bond film as downloadable content at the time Quantum of Solace came out.