If ever released, would you buy Shore’s Kong score?

WampaRat

I would. But not sure if it wouldn't be better to just recorded a nicely rounded long album (not necessarily all of it) as a lot of the more important pieces were never recorded. Only the first third was actually completed, the middle bit never finished and the final third never recorded. So yeah, new recording would be a perfect solution.

Karol

Man oh man. It’s just so fascinating that after 3 mammoth LOTR productions and then later 3 mammoth Hobbit scores, why there was a hiccup in their partnership for this production. 

Just the overall “sound” or themes PJ didnt like I suppose? 

Yes. According to Jackson's biography:

Something was lost amid the creeping vines of Skull Island and the sparkling modernity of thirties New York. Maybe his operatic style was too synonymous with Middle-Earth, maybe the more heightened backdrop of King Kong didn't suit his seriousness, but director and composer found they were not on one another's wavelength.

After a number of attempts to try and steer a mutual course, Jackson made the tough decision to go in a completely new direction.

I don't know that prominent use of choir - as was Shore's wont - was really suitable for King Kong.

Nevertheless, I would be interested in hearing it.

Oh hell yes! I was following the "Kong Is King" site when they originally posted those production and post-production diaries every week as they happened! And I remember (and have still downloaded) the Howard Shore video and then remember being really shocked when suddenly they were doing it with James Newton Howard without ever giving an explanation, and then having removed the Shore video! Don't get me wrong: I LOVE JNH's Kong score, but I was forever curious with what Shore did!

I finally read that thread about the score and Doug's comments... WOW. I really hope it gets released someday! I think it would be perfectly fine to release what was recorded and release all the demos of what wasn't as bonus tracks. Or, maybe Shore would have the chance to record the unrecorded pieces someday? Either way I'd DEFINITELY buy it.

I'd be very curious to hear samples. Not sure whether it would end up being worth my money. JNH's fantastic score could end up being enough for me, since I'm not as much of a Shore fan as many of you. But regardless, it would of course be wonderful if this saw the light of day!

42 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

In a heartbeat. 

Yeah, I think I'm with you, Bil. I'd buy it out of sheer curiosity.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Has any of Shore's KING KONG music ended-up in compilations, music suites, etc?

I just went on this new-fangled interweb thingy (apparently, it's very popular with the young), and found approximately 15 minutes of (supposedly) Shore's rejected score. It didn't sound much like Shore, to me.

And that would be because it's not Shore:

I'd love to hear Shore's score as a concept. JNH's more modern style works well in the film though - Shore's LotR sound is much more naturalistic, and maybe that was part of why PJ thought it didn't work.

Don’t composers recycle rejected material for other projects?

Who is to say we haven’t heard the original King Kong themes in some other scores by Shore?

(I think often this might be the barrier to releasing rejected scores.)

On 11/28/2020 at 7:23 PM, Chen G. said:

Yes. According to Jackson's biography:

I don't know that prominent use of choir - as was Shore's wont - was really suitable for King Kong.

Nevertheless, I would be interested in hearing it.

That's some bollocks. Does, whoever wrote that, know what operatic means? 

What does he think JNH's score is? 

JNH's score comes off much closer to the standard blockbuster thing that doesn't take itself too seriously. At least when compared to Shore's heavier sound.

About Howard Shore I have the imipression, you can hear in his scores that he originally used to compose just for smaller ensembles. I guess "The Fly" was his first assignment for a bigger orchestra. Especially in the first two LotR scores I sometimes think, big sound, but not so much music in it that would justify why this is played by such a big orchestra. Especially in The Two Towers I often thought, this is like very slow chamber music played by a big orchestra.

Return of the King is for me somehow Howard Shore's debut as an orchestral composer.

9 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

About Howard Shore I have the imipression, you can hear in his scores that he originally used to compose just for smaller ensembles. I guess "The Fly" was his first assignment for a bigger orchestra. Especially in the first two LotR scores I sometimes think, big sound, but not so much music in it that would justify why this is played by such a big orchestra. Especially in The Two Towers I often thought, this is like very slow chamber music played by a big orchestra.

Return of the King is for me somehow Howard Shore's debut as an orchestral composer.

What an insightful comment. 

I would say though that they definitely turned up the volume on the 1st two scores. They might not impress with orchestral hijinks but impress with the presence of the score.

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

A good proof then, as it's the best of the three. Not to mention the Hobbit atrocities...

I am just listening again to The Fellowship. Like in the Two Towers there is so much unisono. Brass just playing the main melody of the choir and so on. A whole orchestra just playing chords with just one section playing a melody. And I remember being disapointed by the music for orks. I was looking forward to something rhythmically weird like Goldsmith Planet of the Apes. But we got something that seemed to be written rather for the Michael Nyman Band than for a big orchestra. 

I mean, the themes are great and the chorals are amazing. But first for me in Return of the King the orchestra was in full bloom.

And yes, I would buy the rejected Kong score. 

Well, I mean, the simplicity corresponds with the folkloristic character of most of the pieces. And it worked in the movie (except as mentioned for the orks). 

Anyway, at least I would agree, the first movie is the best of all three, of all six.

I have never thought it sounded chamber, although I wouldn't think it was a bad thing if it did. I think Howard Shore's scores present themselves very crystalline. He seems to try to get the same sound as Pierre Boulez when he coaxes an orchestra.

Orchestras mustn't always sound thick, in my opinion. There is room for Sibelius next to Mahler on my shelf.

Personally, I think it sounds like Der Ring most of the time, although the Karajan recording. Shore's presentation of his work has never had the feverish intensity of the Screaming Skull, Georg Solti