RIP David Prowse (1935 - 2020)

Jurassic Shark

9 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Interesting that he was also very positive towards the Cantina, which Lucas himself was disappointed with (rightly, I believe). So that's a good example of what @AC1 is talking about: textbook halo effect.

The cantina was considered one of the unmitigated successes of the film back in 1977. Whatever George may have thought of it. It was mentioned in almost all of the media about the film. Even the Holiday Special had to reference it.

RIP Mr. Prowse.

https://people.com/movies/dave-prowse-dead-celebs-react/

I knew he trained Superman. I did not know he trained the Dread Pirate Westley.

When I first saw this topic I thought " Didn't he die awhile ago?".

Dummy, that was Peter Mahyew!

Chewbacca....Darth....

C-3pO? 😞

Three actors who are known worldwide but never seen.

Rip Darth

13 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Whatever it is, its an astonishingly unremarkable - not to say wholly awkward and silly - piece of "fencing."

This is the first time; FIRST EFFING TIME, I have ever read criticism of the saber battles in SW.

Damn kids today😵

11 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He didn't mention it in his retrospective review either.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-star-wars-episode-iv-a-new-hope-1977

Don't mind Chen.

He had a rough childhood😉

11 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I still can’t believe that made it into the film. It’s like a QTE in a video game. 

Is that ROTS?

I remember the awful fight on the river of lava .

The rest of the film has faded.

16 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Didn't Lucas have a falling out with Prowse, the latter having guessed the "I am your father" (on his own - this was while Lucas and Kasdan were still writing) moment and "leaked" it to the news?

I don't think that is correct.

Nobody knew that plot twist.

On the other hand, the Luke and Leia are siblings was leaked. Asshole😠

Ever since Kenny Baker died I kept mixing him up with Peter Mayhew and David Prowse not remembering which one was dead .Maybe it's all the reports over the years they were all in very ill or random pictures of them looking like they're at death's door. Now they're all dead. And I even thought Frank Oz was dead too until he popped up in TLJ

Anthony Daniels looks in good health though, probably because of the lifelong motivation to fit in  his costume

13 minutes ago, crocodile said:

According to Sun, it was Covid.

The fact he was famous for playing guy known for his breathing apparatus sound it is doubly as disturbing. :(

Karol

Is it, though? A lot of people have died from the China Flu, and he happened to play a character with breathing problem. He was also old. How is that "disturbing"?

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I don't think that is correct.

Nobody knew that plot twist.

Indeed. In fact, I believe at the time when Prowse “revealed” it Lucas had only just written it, privately. Prowse just pulled it out of his arse, and by coincidence it turned out to be true.

EDIT: so it seems Lucas could swallow his pride enough to say words, although of course he springboards off of it to further perpetuate his retcons: “a memorable, tragic figure.” Oh well...

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Do you see the fault in the argument, here?

I'll give you a clue:

"According to The Sun"...

The Sun.

I'll say that one more time;

The Sun.

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

According to Sun, it was Covid.

The fact he was famous for playing guy known for his breathing apparatus sound it is doubly as disturbing. :(

Karol

Yeah, but he was the only 'name' who showed up at fan conventions!

There's a funny link I've been thinking about.

Both Prowse and Arnold Schwarzenegger were bodybuilders that had early film cameos as muscular bodyguards in films by auteurs - Prowse in Kubrick's A CLOCKWORK ORANGE and Schwarzenegger in Robert Altman's THE LONG GOODBYE. But except for Darth Vader, their careers and success went in very different directions.

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Do you see the fault in the argument, here?

I'll give you a clue:

"According to The Sun"...

The Sun.

I'll say that one more time;

The Sun.

The Sun just reported that David Prowse was in preparation to be the next James Bond. AND record the theme song! 

• 2 months later...