Greatest/worst sonic upgrade/downgrade for expanded releases

Jurassic Shark

The Mummy by Intrada - parts are brickwalled, other parts are not, instruments moved from one to the other channel, a mix that emphasizes brass too heavily, an unrefined mix with every instrument struggling for attention, leading to slight distortions during action sequences - it's listenable, however, a huge downgrade from the original Decca mix

Some contenders on the good side:

• Superman (FSM Blue Box)
  • Superman (LLL 40th - an equally huge step up from the Blue Box)
  • Jaws (Intrada)
  • TWOK (FSM)

If you consider the contrast between Superman on the Rhino release vs. the 40th, it's a clear winner for me. Comparing the 40th to the Blue Box is not quite a stark contrast, but still enough to significantly boost my enjoyment of the score.

On the bad:

• ROTJ (SE)
  • The Lion King (Legacy Collection - mastering is fine but I hate the remix)

ROTJ is the bigger crime, but I'm still really disappointed with The Lion King.

Almost all Varése Deluxe's I guess done by Erick Labson, including Peggy Sue, Predator II and Starship Troopers. Relentlessly loud.

I think the Mummy sounds wonderful, especially as we have the Decca album on disc 2. The mix on cd 1 is *delightfully* rough, which befits this score and its wild style. 

I'd love to hear the assembly Mike & Neil made for Predator 2 mastered by someone else (and released with the correct track names on the back of the case). 

I'd love for Mike or Neil to redo Starship Troopers from scratch and actually include everything this time

Meh, the end titles are just the music editor crossfading a bunch of stuff together, it doesn't matter to me if it's on an expanded album or not.  If there's room, sure - but rebuilt from proper elements, of course.

33 minutes ago, publicist said:

I think the Mummy sounds wonderful, especially as we have the Decca album on disc 2. The mix on cd 1 is *delightfully* rough, which befits this score and its wild style. 

Listen to The Flies - relentlessly loud too. The Locusts has one version very loud at the end, the other one is absolutely okay.

Apart from that there are tracks like The Camel Race or The Mummy Attack that have unwanted noises or artifacts.

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I agree, @Datameister.

Somehow both the vinyl, and the Crescendo TWOK sounded "small", almost like a chamber orchestra.

The newer remaster makes it sound bigger, and fuller.

Yeah the OST sounded awful. The FSM release de-Wallin-ized it, at least to some degree.

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Listen to The Flies - relentlessly loud too. The Locusts has one version very loud at the end, the other one is absolutely okay.

Apart from that there are tracks like The Camel Race or The Mummy Attack that have unwanted noises or artifacts.

I know these criticisms and find them still hyperbolic. At least compared to many other examples cited here.

11 hours ago, Datameister said:

Some contenders on the good side:

• Superman (FSM Blue Box)
  • Superman (LLL 40th - an equally huge step up from the Blue Box)
  • Jaws (Intrada)
  • TWOK (FSM)

If you consider the contrast between Superman on the Rhino release vs. the 40th, it's a clear winner for me. Comparing the 40th to the Blue Box is not quite a stark contrast, but still enough to significantly boost my enjoyment of the score.

On the bad:

• ROTJ (SE)
  • The Lion King (Legacy Collection - mastering is fine but I hate the remix)

ROTJ is the bigger crime, but I'm still really disappointed with The Lion King.

I was surprised to read the complaints about the mix on TLC.

IM not saying they're invalid, I just didn't notice.

I was just so thrilled to have this " grail" at long last. And, overall it sounded MUCH better than the ost!

SUPERMAN will be here by the end of the week. Can't wait to hear it- esp. The LP remix!

12 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Good or bad?

I actually prefer the ost..the Intrada is excellent but lacks the ' presence'  of the ost.

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Hey Bruce, you're selling old films on blu-rays right? Do you have a copy of Twilight Entertainment's Stormy Weather?

Me?

Riotengine is the guy who sells that Shi....i mean stuff.