Which Spielberg/Williams film score do you most hope Mike Matessino will produce next? 2020 edition

Jay

Which Spielberg/Williams film score do you most hope Mike Matessino will produce next?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Which Spielberg/Williams film score do you most hope Mike Matessino will produce next for a specialty label?

• 1974's The Sugarland Express
    • 1989's Always
    • 1991's Hook
    • 1997's Amistad
    • 2002's Catch Me If You Can
    • 2004's The Terminal
    • 2005's Munich
    • 2011's The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn
    • 2011's War Horse
    • 2012's Lincoln
    • 2016's The BFG
    • 2017's The Post
  2. 2. Which Spielberg/Williams film score do you most hope Mike Matessino will produce for Disney Records?

• 1981's Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • 1984's Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    • 1989's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    • 2008's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

This poll is closed to new votes

Here's two posts from Mike I found about Sugarland

Mike, I think you need to use your influence to tell Jay Dubya what a great idea it would to let you loose on STORY OF A WOMAN, SUGARLAND EXPRESS, DRACULA...you know where I'm going with this ;)

He has said no to Story and Sugarland but be patient. He is far more comfortable with these projects than he used to be so he may eventually come around. I was recently reminded that after he conducted E.T. in 2002 he said that it wasn't the kind of event that should be done all the time, but now it's a major thing and at least a dozen of his scores are being done that way regularly along with many others. Everything evolves. But it can be like watching the minute hand on a clock - you don't see it move, but if you stare at it for several minutes you know that it is.

and then

Great post, Mike, and thanks for all you are doing to facilitate this stuff getting released!

Just so we know to be *particularly* more patient, can you confirm any other titles he has turned down, for now, beyond Sugarland, Storia, and Rare Breed (the latter two also confirmed by Roger over at the Intrada board)? Or is other stuff besides those three pretty much fair game for hope?

Yavar

Yes, those three were rejected, for now. I don't want to comment on any others.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=129323&forumID=1&archive=0

20 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

@Jay are you going to do one for non Spielberg choices as well?

20 hours ago, Jay said:

That'd be a huge poll with too many options

I decided to make one anyway

There were less options that I though there would be!

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33289-which-non-spielberg-non-star-wars-williams-score-do-you-most-want-an-expansion-of/&do=getNewComment

21 hours ago, Jay said:

Here are all the choices:

1974's The Sugarland Express

1981's Raiders of the Lost Ark

1984's Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

1989's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

1989's Always

1991's Hook

1997's Amistad

2002's Catch Me If You Can

2004's The Terminal

2005's Munich

2008's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

2011's The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn

2011's War Horse

2012's Lincoln

2016's The BFG

2017's The Post

Of all of these, should any one be announced, there’s not one I wouldn’t be excited about and look forward to.

Right?  It's amazing how consistent Williams' work is when it's for a Spielberg movie.  And how Williams' scores always make the Spielberg movies better!  What a wonderful releationship

Yes! John Williams is a legend. And the collaboration with Spielberg through the years is legendary.

I feel that, almost no matter how much credit JW is thrown his way, it’s not enough.

Even now, being probably the most well known living composer there are still WAY too many out there who are unaware of this man and his accomplishments.

His name deserves to be a household-name on par with Steven Spielberg.

20 hours ago, Jay said:

Hook and Last Crusade are off to massive leads in their categories

Hook is still winning, but Tintin is a CLOSE second place!

The Last Crusade is no longer winning - Temple of Doom has surpassed it!

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hook is still winning, but Tintin is a CLOSE second place!

The Last Crusade is no longer winning - Temple of Doom has surpassed it!

That's because Bellosh has voted fifty times ( and counting).

😅

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Mike already knows which scores the fans are most interested in having new editions of, and so are all the label heads

Good, then he knows of my love for Stepmom. 

Edit: I realize that sentence doesn't sound quite right...

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes, we do. But then I probably listen to more new soundtracks than you every year (several hundred), so my pool of choices might be bigger and broader. Despite a difficult year, there have been plenty of great scores in 2020. But you often have to look outside Hollywood blockbusters.

I failed to express myself properly.

The general consensus among fans is.modern scores are lacking.

You and I disagree with their  opinion.

Final Fantasy VII Remake, The Mandalorian Season 2, Call of the Wild, and The Witches for me.

Couldn't get into Enola Holmes like many others, and looking forward to hearing Mank and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond (and News of the World and Wonder Woman I guess)

22 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I failed to express myself properly.

The general consensus among fans is.modern scores are lacking.

You and I disagree with their  opinion.

Ah, I see. Well, then we're in alignment.

19 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What's your top picks of the year?

You'll have to wait a month, for my "Best of 2020" episode! ;)

42 minutes ago, Albus Percival Wulfric said:

I've recently watched Spielberg's cult classic TV movie "Duel" (1971), and wished so much that he had known Williams at that point. One could almost hear a Williams score from the visual language alone.

True. But I think the Goldenberg score is fine just the way it is, Herrmann nods and everything. The Spielberg/Goldenberg collab is really underrated. Does Mattessino have any clout for those?

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

True. But I think the Goldenberg score is fine just the way it is, Herrmann nods and everything. The Spielberg/Goldenberg collab is really underrated. Does Mattessino have any clout for those?

Hmm. Now I have to watch this again when I watch Nixon

35 minutes ago, Thor said:

Do we know if elements exist in any vaults for anything they collaborated on other than Duel?

No idea. But it would make a neat tribute CD now that he's passed away -- "LA 2017" from THE NAME OF THE GAME, "Eyes" from NIGHT GALLERY and "Murder by the Book" from COLUMBO. You could throw in DUEL and the three AMAZING STORIES episodes too, but they have already been released, so no immediate hurry. 

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Do we know if elements exist in any vaults for anything they collaborated on other than Duel?

According to his friend and biographer-"yes. Billy had a personal collection of his scores .

Will it ever see the light of day?

Who knows.

It would! Spielberg actually collaborated with several other interesting composers back in those TV days beyond Goldenberg. Leonard Rosenman on MARCUS WELBY M.D., Robert Prince on NIGHT GALLERY, Gil Mellé on THE PSYCHIATRIST and SAVAGE, Elmer Bernstein(!) on OWEN MARSHALL, COUNSELOR AT LAW, Wladimir Selinski on SOMETHING EVIL. Although 'collaborated' is a truth with modification, as it wasn't that common to sit down and discuss the music in detail back in those days. Sometimes, the directors didn't even see the composer at all.

It would still be interesting to see how other composers interpreted Spielberg's visuals & rhythms

A box set of all the scores for Spielberg's early directing would be a dream, but I feel confident calling that a pipe dream

On 12/2/2020 at 8:32 AM, Jay said:

I don't think it works that way.  He could elect to say "no thank you" one day and then "oh, why not" another day.  Who knows

I wonder if he'd agree to Sugarland if it were presented as a bonus to another release, a la Pete 'n Tillie? The question is what. I don't see any obvious choice among the unexpanded scores to pair it with. Maybe to fill out a second disc of Catch Me If You Can, since they're both "chase" movies, though it's a bit of a stretch. It would pair pretty nicely with The Reivers, but I don't think they'd mix a Spielberg and non-Spielberg film like that.

Maybe he'd agree to Sugarland if it were the only one left of the Spielberg-Williams scores to be expanded. He could say "John, lets complete the collection...there's one slot missing in the box-set...looks awkward without it."

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Well after 71 votes Hook clearly won again, though Tintin is RIGHT behind!

And if Disney hires Mike to tackle the Indiana Jones scores it looks like people are most excited for his version of Temple of Doom!

How can one not be?

What is this in reference to? The Shawn Murphy demasters? We have a whole thread about all its problems. His team grabbed the wrong takes, folded the LCR down to stereo wrong, all kinds of other mistakes. 

If you were asking about something else let me know 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

What is this in reference to? The Shawn Murphy demasters? We have a whole thread about all its problems. His team grabbed the wrong takes, folded the LCR down to stereo wrong, all kinds of other mistakes. 

If you were asking about something else let me know 

If I understood the previous comments correctly, a process was used leading to lesser quality on Temple of Doom. I was wondering what the process used back then was. I don't think this would be related to Murphy's demasters.

I think the 2008 edition of Temple of Doom sounds great! And so does the OST. That's a great recording!!

You're probably thinking of The Last Crudade, which sounds like a 1989 era digital master, not as full of detail as analog from the era, or modern digital, would have. We're hoping there's an analog 1st gen that hasn't been used for prior albums that perhaps could make a new edition soar in the future 

I wouldn't be surprised if most of JW's 80s/90s OSTs were assembled from primitive, low-resolution digital masters, rather than analog masters (which were created in tandem with the digital recordings all the way until ROTS in 2005).

Hell, the TOD OST specifically says it's sourced from a digital master (though most of the unreleased music on the 2008 release suffers from incorrect pitch and wow, which seems unusual if sourced from a digital master... :unsure:)

I have no doubt TLC would sound vastly superior if transferred from first-generation analog multitracks and mixed from scratch, just like Superman. The OSTs for Always and BOTOF sound thoroughly mediocre as well, all recorded the same year as TLC (though Mike hasn't tackled any of these 3 yet, so it's unclear how much improvement might be possible; if the other 80s remasters are any indication, the answer is a lot).