Which non-Spielberg, non-Star Wars Williams score do you most want an expansion of?

Jay

Which non-Spielberg, non-Star Wars Williams score do you most want an expansion of?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. 60-80s

• Diamond Head (1963)
    • Valley of the Dolls (1967)
    • Images (1972)
    • The Eiger Sanction (1975)
    • SpaceCamp (1986)
    • The Witches of Eastwick (1987)
    • The Accidental Tourist (1988)
    • Born On The Fourth of July (1989)
    • I do not want to own an expansion of any of these scores
  2. 2. 90s-10s

• Presumed Innocent (1990)
    • JFK (1991)
    • Sabrina (1995)
    • Nixon (1995)
    • Sleepers (1996)
    • Seven Years In Tibet (1997)
    • Stepmom (1998)
    • Angela's Ashes (1999)
    • The Patriot (2000)
    • Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)
    • The Book Thief (2013)
    • I do not want to own an expansion of any of these scores

This poll is closed to new votes

Let's talk about feature length film scores for which the OST album is the only commercial release, that you would most want to own an expanded release of!

Excluded from the poll are all Spielberg scores, all Star Wars scores, all scores that never got an OST album, and all scores that have already received an expansion of some kind. 

Yes, The Reivers and Fiddler on the Roof have received expansions!

Images is listed because even though it did not get a commercial OST album, the promotional LP form the era seems to be an OST program Williams arranged that never got a commercial release until the Prometheus CD.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

I don't remember in exact minutes, but not much. Vice versa, "Blood Moon" on the soundtrack never appears in the film.

Presumably a concert arrangement recorded for the OST album that got a commercial release!

1 minute ago, Datameister said:

Images and MOAG for me!

I voted without seeing who voted for what, and it seems our tastes coincided! :)

Yeah, Images because it's a weird score and I'd like to have it in complete form, and Memoirs of a Geisha because I love the main theme and i think we're missing a lot here. My second vote for the 90s-10s would go to Nixon.

The Eiger Sanction is the only score on either poll I don't own - it went OOP before I had a chance to get it at a reasonable price, and now it goes for around $50 on the secondhand market.  It's kind of surprising a specialty label hasn't picked it up, even without an expansion.  Then again, the OST album master probably burned up in the Universal fire, so they'd have to find another source like they did for Jaws and ET

I don't know most of these too well or at all! I have a bright future, pretty much any new expansion we'll get will be an opportunity to hear brand new JW.

I've been really diving into Eastwick this year after that incredible Mutter arrangement. I swear I listen to that thing every day. I would be interested in hearing a remaster of the score, besides a chronological presentation which I do believe in this case would be a benefit.

Nixon because if there are any unreleased presentations of the Turbulent 60's, I want them.

I went with The Witches of Eastwick and Memoirs of a Geisha. 

I'd love to hear any and all alternates recorded for Memoirs. Angela's Ashes and The Patriot were close. 

For Angela's Ashes, there's a number of film cues that aren't on the OST, and a number of OST tracks that don't appear in the film, so it would be cool to have a comprehensive release. 

Witches of Eastwick would be awesome to have in a new complete edition by Halloween next year

Nixon I'm not too familiar with, but @BrotherSound recently posted the sheet music info here and it looks like there's gonna be some stuff that we've never heard before someday

For Angela's Ashes, I believe Angela’s Prayer, Plenty Of Fish And Chips In Heaven, and The Lanes Of Limerick are all concert arrangements - plus the album repeats the end credits twice

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Witches of Eastwick would be awesome to have in a new complete edition by Halloween next year

Nixon I'm not too familiar with, but @BrotherSound recently posted the sheet music info here and it looks like there's gonna be some stuff that we've never heard someday

I am going to need to rewatch Nixon! I really don't remember that much score, but it's been a long while. Do we know if any is unused, or is that the most comprehensive bit of information we have so far?

I think a lot of it is unused,  yea

I don't recall ever seeing a post breaking down the music in the film, however

That was a TV movie and its a poll for feature films

From all accounts, the elements are lost to time anyway, unfortunately.

I voted for Witches of Eastwick and The Patriot, with SpaceCamp and Geisha 2nd place votes. 

Maybe we can get The Patriot next summer for Independence Day time-frame?  :)

I brought it up in the WOTW thread hoping for Witches of Eastwick next year for Halloween time

If you think about it we've been blessed with some excellent releases in the month of October recently.

2017: E.T.

2018: Dracula

2019: M.R.

2020: WOTW

All are either sci-fi movies with some spooky elements or horror type movies for the Halloween season.  

Could we see Witches of Eastwick, The Screaming Woman or Images in October 2021?  I can't think of any other yet-to-be expanded works that would fit in the Halloween mood.

Again ,it comes down which has the most unreleased music we don't have a good sounding bootleg to

Born on the Fourth of July and Patriot

Spacecamp has that spacelab docking fanfare we don't have but is it missing anything else?

Put your brain into a place for a second where no bootlegs exist, and all you've heard are the OST albums, and whatever you noticed in the films.  In this headspace, what would be your picks?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Does anybody know how much Images music can be heard in the film that is not on the Prometheus CD?

Around 12 minutes' worth, including film versions of certain album tracks

The Witches of Eastwick, Born on the Fourth of July, The Patriot, and Geisha are the clear winners so far

5 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

I brought it up in the WOTW thread hoping for Witches of Eastwick next year for Halloween time

Unfortunately, Perseverance Records has to sell another 1,000 copies of The Witches of Eastwick OST before the license would be available again for another label, which is probably going to take at least another 2 or 3 years.

@Thor based on your comments in the other thread, shouldn't you vote for Valley of the Dolls in the first poll (and of course none in the second)?

That it only contains Williams' arrangements of the Previns' compositions. Williams' own compositions are nowhere to be found. Here's what I said in an old 2009 FSM thread about that:

The score proper seems to be pure Williams for the most part. It's definitely recognizable as such...for example, some of the slightly dissonant cues for the pill/"doll"-eating singer gone havoc could easily have been pulled out of a LOST IN SPACE episode or something. And the soaring string work is unmistakably Williams, especially when he doesn't specifically incorporate instrumental versions of Previn's song tunes.

Interesting!  Hopefully Disney buying Fox doesn't kill any dreams of an expanded release.  LLL's recent Goldsmith at 20th series gives me hope

22 hours ago, Jay said:

Nixon I'm not too familiar with, but @BrotherSound recently posted the sheet music info here and it looks like there's gonna be some stuff that we've never heard before someday

Yeah, I'd say there's another 30–40 minutes unreleased for Nixon, not even counting source music. I believe the other Oliver Stone scores could fit on a single CD each, but this would definitely need 2 discs.

Well after 46 votes Witches of Eastwick and Born on the Fourth of July, Memoirs of a Geisha, and The Patriot continue to be strongly desired expansions.

Poor Stepmom, never gets any votes in these polls!

It just can't compete with those four, regardless of how nice a score it is. 

I'll be interested to see how Mike assembles it if it eventually is expanded. There are quite a few very short cues. It might prove an interesting challenge to choose which ones to place together to find a nice listenable presentation. I don't think doing strictly chronological would end up providing a good enough flow. 

I voted for Memoirs.  But, the more I think about it, the Suite for Cello is more than enough for me.  I informally change my vote to The Patriot.  

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

If there's any responsible for the labels reading this forum, please note how many votes The Patriot had, and how desired its expansion is.

I'm really surprised it didn't turn up for the 20th Anniversary, but I know COVID has played havoc with approvals, so it's possible one of the labels had it penciled in for 2020 and it just didn't make it in time.

It must be high on their lists, especially as the pool of high-profile expansions at their disposal grows thin.

• 1 month later...

It's not surprising to see Witches of Eastwick, Fourth of July, The Patriot, and Memoirs of a Geisha win this poll after about 50 votes were cast.  Those are definitely the scores that come up most often when talking about non-Spielberg, non-Star Wars scores people want to be worked on.

The real question is, what would win if those 4 options were removed...

On 12/2/2020 at 1:46 PM, Jay said:

Does anybody know how much Images music can be heard in the film that is not on the Prometheus CD?

We need alt cues with different breathings!