The seasonally appropriate "A Christmas Carol" Thread

Tom Guernsey

Having pondered which stories get remade the most frequently, my conclusion (based on nothing more than my ridiculous iTunes library of soundtracks) is that A Christmas Carol has got to be up there. In terms of movies or musicals that are versions of A Christmas Carol, to a greater or lesser extent, I counted...

A Christmas Carol: The Musical (Alan Menken) - I have both the TV movie version (with Kelsey Grammer) and the original cast recording. While familiarity is probably a factor, I return to the TV movie version more often, but any fan of Menken should run to their nearest online retailer and acquire one or other version. It really is terrific.

A Christmas Carol (Alan Silvestri) - A bit bombastic at times, but typically tuneful Silvestri and I like the mixture of sly to outright references to Christmas carols in his main themes.

A Christmas Carol: The Movie (Julian Nott) - Somewhat more gentle than some of the others, but an utterly delightful score from Wallace and Gromit's regular composer. Some terrific songs too.

The Muppet Christmas Carol (Miles Goodman) - A Muppet classic and the songs are winning.

A Christmas Carol (Nick Bicât) - Forgot I had this one... need to listen again, but seem to remember it being quite lovely.

Scrooge (Richard Addinsell) - Suite from the David Newman conducted compilation on Telarc and the same one on the Chandos album conducted by Rumon Gamba. The former also includes selections from Tiomkin's It's a Wonderful Life and Mockridge's Miracle on 34th Street (although the Bruce Broughton version is hard to beat). Weirdly, the Telarc album lists it as A Christmas Carol (including prominently on the cover), but it was clearly released as Scrooge. Odd.

A Christmas Carol (Stephen Warbeck) - From the TV version with Sir Pat Stew... at the lower key end like the Nott version, but somewhat darker and more brooding. In many ways, probably more appropriate to the story.

A Christmas Carol (Franz Waxman) - One I'd totally forgotten about, but Waxman at his more whimsical and balletic, with some lovely arrangements of carols too. Sounds more contemporary than its 1938 pedigree might suggest. Lovely suite on the Legends of Hollywood Volume 4.

Scrooged (Danny Elfman) - Squarely late 80's la-la-la Elfman, but humorous and spiky fun, if a little choppy.

At the more tenuous, but still worth a mention, end...

Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol (Murray Gold) - I think this was the second Matt Smith Christmas special but easily one of my favourite standalone Gold scores for Doctor Who that fully justifies its full length release, capped by the utterly gorgeous Abigail's Song (Silence is all You Know) performed by Katherine Jenkins. Utterly winning.

I realise I've missed Scrooged by Leslie Bricusse. Sure I've heard it, but seem to remember the sound being dreadful... sure there must be others?!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

The Waxman is my favourite of all of these. I'm very thankful we have the gorgeous LEGENDS OF HOLLYWOOD suite.

Having just listened to it while writing my original post, it really is delightful, although of the older scores I think I enjoyed the Addinsell marginally more, but both are super. Although as a sucker for cheese and schmaltz, the Menken and Goodman ones get the most play this time of year...

17 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

A Christmas Carol (Nick Bicât) - Forgot I had this one... need to listen again, but seem to remember it being quite lovely.

This one is the best one!  I bought this back when it was just Bicat selling CD-Rs of it on his personal website.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

This one is the best one!  I bought this back when it was just Bicat selling CD-Rs of it on his personal website.

I have it on my upcoming playlist and looking forward to it!  It's the only score by him I have... any others available/worth checking out? (At the risk of derailing by, admittedly not super popular, thread!).

23 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I have it on my upcoming playlist and looking forward to it!  It's the only score by him I have... any others available/worth checking out? (At the risk of derailing by, admittedly not super popular, thread!).

Only other thing of his I have heard: