The next Studio Ghibli film looks... different

Jay

His father has expressed interest in a CGI production before. Apparently he has two films nebulously in the works right now. Not too much information. I wonder if one of them is CGI like this.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Where’s that video of Hayao expressing disappointment with Goro’s work?

What's notated in your signature?

Sad to see Ghibli go down this route. If they want to try something different, I'd rather see them collaborate with non-Japanese directors, like they did with the excellent THE RED TURTLE a few years ago.

By the way, hasn't Miyazaki expressed his interest in returning to make one more film, despite his alleged retirement a few years ago? I think I read something about that recently. He seems to do this quite often -- retire, and then come back after all. He's a bit like the Norwegian band a-ha. :)

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

@filmmusic won’t be happy!

Yes, you're right!

I had seen screenshots of this some time ago, and didn't like it at all!:(

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

By the way, hasn't Miyazaki expressed his interest in returning to make one more film, despite his alleged retirement a few years ago?

Yes, it's this film:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Do_You_Live%3F_(film)

5 hours ago, Spider-Fal said:

What's notated in your signature?

Fanfare for the Common Man (in A-Flat as stated quietly by the woodwinds at the beginning of the Third Symphony 4th movement)

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

@Jay

Any chance we can get just a sadface react so we don't always need to go all out with the balling our eyes out one? It's a bit extreme. 

I don't know what you mean. There absolutely is a normal sad face react available, always had been

It's the Really Sad react that's new

7 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

While we're on the subject, @Jay, we used to be able to post multiple emoticons. Now, we can only select one, from the drop-down list. Any particular reason for this?

I don't know what you mean. You can put any many in your post as you want to :) :eh::lsabre::rock_band: 

Took me 2 seconds click all those 

I don't know what you mean by you "don't have".  You click image.png and get hundreds to pick from.  It isn't a per-user or per-group thing, there's just one pool of emoticons for everyone

image.png

There is no shrug emoticon built into JWFan's array of emoticons, but there is, of course, a shrug emoji on any emoji keyboard.  2 actually : 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Jay said:

English trailer

Coming to HBO Max February 5

Thanks for sharing.

I just can't get over how much better I expect this to look when I see Studio Ghibli attached to the front. This should be beautiful animation...should be.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

They should use different branding for films that don't have the traditional Ghibli look

Probably. I mean if the usual writing and feel is still there then it might still be good, but the...subpar animation (even compared to other CG animated films) is just not what one expects.

I would've preferred them just hang onto it for another year and bring some more magic to this look.