Howard Shore's FUNNY BOY (2020)

KK

It's a good book, but the film production seems deeply problematic though. It's a story about a Tamil boy negotiating his queerness against a climate of Tamil oppression during the Sri Lankan civil war/riots...but there's not a single Tamil person in the cast.

It's also been selected as this year's Canadian submission for the Oscar race (because it was made with a lot of government funding). The whole thing reeks of Mehta exploiting an entire cultural people/crisis for regaining neoliberal relevance and marketability...

7 minutes ago, KK said:

It's a good book, but the film production seems deeply problematic though. It's a story about a Tamil boy negotiating his queerness against a climate of Tamil oppression during the Sri Lankan civil war/riots...but there's not a single Tamil person in the cast.

No, but they have actors.

2 hours ago, KK said:

It's also been selected as this year's Canadian submission for the Oscar race (because it was made with a lot of government funding). The whole thing reeks of Mehta exploiting an entire cultural people/crisis for regaining neoliberal relevance and marketability...

That's awfully cynical. I don't see it that way. She's always been concerned with social exclusion and the meeting points between politics, sexuality, class and race. It seems to be perfectly in line with her previous movies.

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

No, but they have actors.

Wrong. Try again.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

That's awfully cynical. I don't see it that way. She's always been concerned with social exclusion and the meetings points between politics, sexuality, class and race. It seems to be perfectly in line with her previous movies.

Topically, sure. The story is ripe with all the usual themes she has tackled in the past, and I don't mind her telling the story. But from what I hear from some people in the production, and what I see in casting decisions and whatnot, there seems to be an insensitivity to the very violent historical and political context of Sri Lanka. It looks like she's speaking to a persecuted people's experience as an outsider, catering it to the Western gaze, without really a deeper consultation with said people.

1 hour ago, KK said:

Congratulations, you finally found out how Hollywood works. 

Now maybe you'll eventually realize how you're baited into an artificial culture war. 

• 1 month later...

Coming from HOWE RECORDS, Friday December 11th

fZU1T0J.jpg

1 Arjie
2 Radha Aunty
3 Anuradhapura Station
4 Jegan
5 Red Sari
6 Riot Journal
7 Leaving Sri Lanka
 TOTAL TIME - 21:54

2 minutes ago, blondheim said:

That album presentation looks like it may just be amazing. I love a nice tight little score

Amen. I prefer more of these over the meandering hour-long releases we get these days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jay said:

So uh.... any JWFanners listened to this yet?

It's not much good. Shore on autopilot. The last track is all you need.