Omni Music Publishing releases James Horner's Glory (1989) in Full Score

BrotherSound

Hot on the heels of Aliens, yet another James Horner full score is being made available!

From https://omnimusicpublishing.com/product/james-horner-glory-full-orchestral-score/:

JAMES HORNER “GLORY” FULL ORCHESTRAL SCORE

$75.00

James Horner captured the essence of the Civil War in music flawlessly. He did this through the adaption existing tunes, but also inventing a hybrid Americana/Patriotism style. Horner was fortunate to have a director that allowed him to try new concepts in film music, like cross-fading disparate cues for dramatic effect. The music in Glory is powerful and compelling. It set the stage for what was to come over the next 10 years. To study Glory, is to understand a dividing line in the composer’s career; where he came from, and where he was going. This book is handsomely bound and the music is expertly engraved. This is a score that will be cherished for years to come.

164 pages. 9×12 inches. Paperbound, printed in U.S.A.

Available worldwide.

image.pngimage.png  

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Jay said:

Does anybody have a list handy, or want to make a list, of the reel/part #s and titles as listed in this book?

1M1 A Call To Arms
1M2R Intro (original)
1M2 After Antietam (with film intro)
1M2Alt After Antietam
1M4R Flashback
1M4 Flashback (version 2)
2M3 Forming The Regiment
2M4 Fife and Drums
2M5 Old 1812
3M1 Jefferson & Liberty
3M2 The Decision
4M1 (untitled)
5M1 Lonely Christmas
5M3 The Whipping
6M1 New Shoes
6M2/3 RA 54th Regiment (film version)
6M2/3R 54th Regiment
6M2/3 Hoist The Flag

6M2 Worth a Life
7M1 The Year of Jubilee
7M3 Burning The Town of Darien
8M3 Our Time
9M1 The Battle of Grimball's Landing
9M1A Promise Me
10M1 When Do You Want Us?
10M3Alt Brave Words and Deeds (film version)

10M3 Brave Words, Braver Deeds
11M1 Preparations For Battle
12M1R Charging Fort Wagner
12M2 An Epitaph To War

12M3/13M1 Closing Credits

Thanks!

Interesting to notice the titles almost all line up with the LLL set, with a couple exceptions:

"Intro", "Fife and Drums", and "54th Regiment" are not titles used on the LLL set

While "Worth a Life" it on the LLL set but not in the book.

The book also has three versions of "After Antietam", while the LLL set only has two; But then the LLL set has two versions of "Charging Fort Wagner" while the book only has one.

Weird.

19 hours ago, Jay said:

Thanks!

Interesting to notice the titles almost all line up with the LLL set, with a couple exceptions:

"Intro", "Fife and Drums", and "54th Regiment" are not titles used on the LLL set

While "Worth a Life" it on the LLL set but not in the book.

The book also has three versions of "After Antietam", while the LLL set only has two; But then the LLL set has two versions of "Charging Fort Wagner" while the book only has one.

Weird.

The 2nd version of Charging Fort Wagner was probably excluded because of its much stronger Carmina Burana influence which probably would have required legal clearance from the Estate. As a recorded piece different rules allowed that recording to resurface on the new LLL set. 

1 hour ago, Amer said:

The 2nd version of Charging Fort Wagner was probably excluded because of its much stronger Carmina Burana influence which probably would have required legal clearance from the Estate.

The Omni book contains the revised / film / OST version that is closer to Carmina Burana, but NOT Horner's original version which is less like Carmina Burana.

16 minutes ago, Amer said:

The 2nd version of Charging Fort Wagner was probably excluded because of its much stronger Carmina Burana influence which probably would have required legal clearance from the Estate. As a recorded piece different rules allowed that recording to resurface on the new LLL set. 

As I explain in my article, I think it's the other way around. The alternate seems to be the version intended by James Horner because some elements are in the continuity of "The Battle of Grimball's Landing"

You're talking about something different than he is.

Of course the version labeled as "Alternate" on the LLL set is the version he wrote and recorded first, and the version just labeled "Charging Fort Wagner" is the revised version.

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

You're talking about something different than he is.

Of course the version labeled as "Alternate" is the version he wrote and recorded first, and the version just labeled "Charging Fort Wagner" is the revised version.

Sorry if I misunderstood but when I read "The 2nd version of Charging Fort Wagner was probably excluded" I think of the alternate version.

I thought he meant 2nd, as is the 2nd one written.  I dunno.

The 2nd version written (the film/OST version) is the one in the book, the first version Horner wrote (the version labeled on the LLL as "Alternate") is the one that's not in the book.

My dears , Iam referring to the 2nd version on the OST which that was recorded by Silva and The book surely doesn’t show that piece. That piece was the first draft written by Horner and eventually rejected because of being to close to the original Carmina Burana .Right?

7 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

In this case I still need to improve my English because I thought Amer was talking about the version we can finally hear in 2021 because some rules have changed.

Lol. You were correct. Your English is quite splendid . Take a bow.

13 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

In this case I still need to improve my English because I thought Amer was talking about the version we can finally hear in 2021 because some rules have changed.

Maybe I'm not understanding;  Your article says the LLL track labeled "Alternate" is 'the one intended by James Horner prior to Edward Zwick requesting him to emphasize the choir to achieve greater similarity to the temp music the director had fallen in love with: the choral movement "O Fortuna" which opens Carmina Burana, a collection of 24 poems composed by Carl Orff in 1935-1936'.

So doesn't that imply the revised version we've always heard in the film and had on the OST is the one closer to Carmina Burana, and the newly released "Alternate" is the version less like Carmina Burana?

If so, what rules are you referring to that would have anything to do with some unused alternate getting released now?  Specialty label expansions debut unused alternates all the time.

9 minutes ago, Amer said:

My dears , Iam referring to the 2nd version on the OST which that was recorded by Silva and The book surely doesn’t show that piece. That piece was the first draft written by Horner and eventually rejected because of being to close to the original Carmina Burana .Right?

No, that's not right.

The version Horner recorded first was less like Carmina Burana.  Silva released a recording (without the trumpet and horn phrases) in 1998.  The actual recording done by Horner in 1989 is debuting on the LLL set, labeled "Alternate", and now containing the trumpet and horn that Silva didn't record.

The 2nd version Horner recorded was used in the film, and appeared on the OST, and appears in the LLL main program, and is more like Carmina Burana.

At least, that is how @Jean-Baptiste Martin's article explains things.

This article: http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/GLORY-LLL-SPOILER-AREA-DEF_light.jpg

The Omni book contains the revised version, but not the first version.

I’m still saying thing as you are saying above except that you are suggesting it’s not like anything like Carmina Burana. Because I think it’s the version that Ed Zwick wanted and Horner made a lot of hue and cry of not following those instructions because of the impending legal complications. So, eventually it got recorded -  it’s that piece which is basically on disc 2 and is not on the book for those reasons. The Silva version is not exactly the same as Jean pointed out in his article. 

Yea, of course both versions are influenced by Carmina Burana.  But his article explicitly says the 2nd version recorded (the OST and film version) is MORE like Carmina Burana than the new disc 2 version - did you read the quote I included from his article?  here is is again

'the one intended by James Horner prior to Edward Zwick requesting him to emphasize the choir to achieve greater similarity to the temp music the director had fallen in love with: the choral movement "O Fortuna" which opens Carmina Burana, a collection of 24 poems composed by Carl Orff in 1935-1936'.

So, the article is saying the version we've always had (which is also in the book) is closer to Carmina Burana than the first version Horner recorded, which isn't in the book and debuts on disc 2.

But maybe the article is wrong? I have no idea.

Iam not even discussing that version. It’s separate story. It’s woven from the same cloth as every knows very well. We are talking about the original version and it’s exclusion in the OMNI book. Didn’t you read Horner’s discussion I posted a few days ago.? 

Yea, it's the same story shared in this article as well

https://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/glory-an-analysis-of-the-complete-score/

There's only two versions of this piece.

The film & OST version, which is in the Omni book,

And the version he recorded prior to that, which got re-recorded by Silva in 1998 and Horner's recording debuts on this set on disc 2.  That version isn't in the Omni book.

And JB's article says that version is less like Carmina Burana than the film/OST/Omni version is.

I don't claim to know the truth.

You probably know that James Horner wrote some tracks twice because Zwick didn't like a theme (The 54th Regiment Theme - C on my infographic.). Upon hearing it on the piano, Zwick thought it was a Love Theme. So James Horner wrote alternate versions that he didn't use because Edward Zwick finally loved the "love theme" played by the orchestra.
I think the process was the same for Charging Fort Wagner. James Horner explained how Zwick forced him to get closer and closer to Carmina Burana in a legally dangerous way. James Horner wrote a first version (Alternate of the 2021 edition) which is an extension of "The Battle of Grimball's Landing" but also a second one closer to Carmina Burana to satisfy Ed Zwick, the version we know since 1990.

For the book, I interviewed Horner's closest collaborators and it was clear that Zwick knew exactly what he wanted and that it was difficult to negotiate.That's why the number of collaborations ended up being three films.

3 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

James Horner wrote a first version (Alternate of the 2021 edition) which is an extension of "The Battle of Grimball's Landing" but also a second one closer to Carmina Burana to satisfy Ed Zwick, the version we know since 1990.

Exactly what I have been saying as well.

Why is why I don't understand Amer's initial remark that maybe the earlier version wasn't in the book because it was closer to Carmina Burana, when of course the revised version that IS in the book is the one that's closer to Carmina Burana.

And I don't get what you said about "new rules" allowing the earlier recording to finally debut ?

But I want to make it clear again that these are my interpretations from all the data I have.
I could be wrong.
When you will hear "The Battle of Grimball's Landing" and the alternate version of Charging Fort Wagner in a few days, you may understand better why I think this.

Eventually Zwick liked this final version better. Because it still sounded like Carmina Burana but different from the the first version. I find 3 elements which are reminiscent of the Orff piece, the opening, the mid section with the drive and the conclusion. 

JAMES HORNER:  And .. Ed Zwick, the director, left me alone. I did a new sequence that was original music and put it in and he ended it up liking it much better than any of the stuff that we’ve done before.

JAMES HORNER: But we never would have gone to that point unless I forced the issue by actually going legally to close the Carmina Burana or we would be sued by the Estate. All of those things happened. It’s fascinating. Sometimes, sometimes.. directors, you know, put temporary mood.. music in a movie ..and they would fall in love with it. And no composer alive can get him out of that way of thinking. That’s .. how he starts thinking. He edits the movie with that music in it, he dreams about it, he thinks about it, or she thinks about it ..

2 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

But I want to make it clear again that these are my interpretations from all the data I have.
I could be wrong.
When you will hear "The Battle of Grimball's Landing" and the alternate version of Charging Fort Wagner in a few days, you may understand better why I think this.

You and I are 100% on the same page about everything, and have agreed entirely this entire thread.

it is only Amer who said something different; He thought the new Alternate we are about to be able to hear is closer to Carmina Burana than the version we've always had on the OST and in the film, when it's the other way around.  I think he understands that now.

So we're left with not knowing why the earlier version isn't in the Omni Book, or what "new rules" you both referred to that would have anything to do with preventing a release of this unused alternate until now.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

So we're left with not knowing why the earlier version isn't in the Omni Book, or what "new rules" you both referred to that would have anything to do with preventing a release of this unused alternate until now.

Yes the absence in the Omni Book is really curious because all the other alternative versions are in there.

I only said "rule" to refer to Amer's message. I don't think that rules prevented the publication of the alternate version because I actually find it less close to Carmina Burana.

Come to think of it there may have been a more earlier version which Horner may have composed but never recorded. That piece may have been more closer to the Orff piece. Somehow the discussion that Horner made makes subtle reference to it. This new alternate which he recorded probably didn’t satisfy both of them and Horner then made the final version .. 

The manuscripts used to make the Omni book do contain Horner's original version of the piece, so it was available to engrave. Could've been a contractual or an editorial choice not to include it. 

Either way, it's something Omni could, in theory, sell down the road as a digital exclusive. 

That one sample of the "Battle" alone on the LLL site establishes a clear set up for that original version of Fort Wagner he was going for.