Cello Concerto vs Memoirs Suite for Cello

Tom

Cello Concerto vs Memoirs Suite for Cello  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer Williams's Cello Concerto or Memoirs of a Geisha Suite for Cello and Orchestra

• Concerto
    • Memoirs Suite

With the other recent thread polls generating a plethora of posts and interesting discussion, I thought I would do my part to kill the momentum with a concert music poll.  After nearly 15 years, I find it hard to decide if I like Williams Cello Concerto or Memoirs Suite better.  They are both superb and both feature Yo Yo Ma.  I think I would go with Memoirs, if for nothing else the Chairman's Waltz with the violin/cello lines--my goodness are they transcendent.  I was also at the premiere in Tanglewood, which gives it some sentimental points.  

Anyway, what are your thoughts?  

Good question. I guess I'll go with MEMOIRS, because ultimately I tend to prefer the 'concrete' aspect of film music over more elaborate, abstract classical music, even when it's suitified like this. And while the cello concerto is great, it's not my favourite concerto by JW.

Anyway, I always wondered why Sayuri's Theme sounded so familiar to me from the very beginning. I guess, I recently found the source of what it reminded me of. There is a theme in "Seven Years in Tibet" that is very close to it.

On 12/9/2020 at 3:16 AM, Bespin said:

I made a playlist of 5 albums by Yo-Yo Ma...and finally I removed the JW album. That's not a good album.

Well, you're not a good person.

22 hours ago, Thor said:

Good question. I guess I'll go with MEMOIRS, because ultimately I tend to prefer the 'concrete' aspect of film music over more elaborate, abstract classical music, even when it's suitified like this. And while the cello concerto is great, it's not my favourite concerto by JW.

I don't listen to neither that often now but I prefer the cello concerto, partly because it's got some elements of the rawness of Jurassic Park. 

I prefer the Memoirs OST over the suite, although both feel a bit overlong.

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't listen to either that often now but I prefer the cello concerto, partly because it's got some elements of the rawness of Jurassic Park. 

That's interesting. The cello concerto reminded me more of A.I. than of Jurassic Park.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:
On 12/9/2020 at 2:42 AM, Tom said:

Chairman's Waltz

I've always found that one uninteresting.

Anyone else reminded to "Abandoned in the Woods" from A.I. by the Chairman's Waltz?

I mean, yeah, they have both the same concise key change in the middle of the theme.

But still...

8 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I would find a poll more interesting to chose who rather  listens to the Memoirs cello suite or the Memoirs OST. I personally definitely prefer the suite. 

For me, the MEMOIRS OST.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've always found that one uninteresting.

This version? I find the interplay between the violin and cello sublime and the whole piece greatly superior to the OST version, but to each their own.

12 minutes ago, Tom said:

This version? I find the interplay between the violin and cello sublime and the whole piece greatly superior to the OST version, but to each their own.

Jesus, I was talking about the Chairman's Waltz as it's called on the OST!