The Bad Batch - The Clone Wars Spinoff show

Faleel

• 1 month later...

I think Kevin deserves a bit more praise than he is given. I really admire the work he's done with both The Clone Wars and Rebels, especially his original themes. No one is the Maestro, but Kevin's work has been great.

I think the clone-centric episodes were nice as an occasional break from the Jedi action on Clone Wars, but were never my favorites. I'd be more interested in seeing animation start to cover the post ROTJ or sequel era in a meaningful way.  Still, I'll watch the show, and hopefully it captures my interest! 

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I think the clone-centric episodes were nice as an occasional break from the Jedi action on Clone Wars, but were never my favorites. I'd be more interested in seeing animation start to cover the post ROTJ or sequel era in a meaningful way.  Still, I'll watch the show, and hopefully it captures my interest! 

A Luke's Jedi Academy animated series is really what they need at this point. You get your young Luke Skywalker and try to repair his image after the sequels, like what Clone Wars did for Anakin, and a Jedi Academy is an opportunity for tons of new characters and like Clone Wars did, dive deep into the creepy, mysterious parts of the Star Wars universe to explore new things.

• 1 month later...

Really cool. I'm quite interested with that one although I wasn't a big fan of the team in the season VII. I think that a more complete developpement of them might be very interesting. All Filoni's creation get better with the time....

Wait, what? I somehow thought this was a live action series. Don't know how the 'animated' aspect passed me by for all the time this has been a "thing", but there you go.

Yeah. I watched the fist five minutes of the original Clone Wars "movie" and thought, nope. Turned it off and haven't watched any SW animation since. Don't suppose I'll start now.

The Bad Batch arc's script/voicework/storyboarding was completed back in the days before TCW was first canceled.  It was one of those "lost storylines" - others of which they've utilized in other fashions (releasing animatic versions on DVD, adapting into comics, etc.).  I'd imagine that at the time, it was not intended to be a backdoor pilot to a new series - just a filler arc that resolved some dangling clonetrooper storylines from previous episodes and introduced new/recurring series characters.

16 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Yeah. I watched the fist five minutes of the original Clone Wars "movie" and thought, nope. Turned it off and haven't watched any SW animation since. Don't suppose I'll start now.

Even the hardest of hardcore Clone Wars fans hate the movie. If you really want to know what the show is all about, watch Season 7's Mandalore arc.

On 2/26/2021 at 2:13 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Even the hardest of hardcore Clone Wars fans hate the movie. If you really want to know what the show is all about, watch Season 7's Mandalore arc.

That’s not a very ideal way to start the show because that arc relies on you having had experience and investment with these original characters. To a newcomer I expect it will come off rather naff and melodramatic, plus they’ll likely be confused as to 

Spoiler

why Maul is alive

2 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

That’s not a very ideal way to start the show because that arc relies on you having had experience and investment with these original characters. To a newcomer I expect it will come off rather naff and melodramatic, plus they’ll likely be confused as to 

Reveal hidden contents

True, true. My point is that the movie is not what the entire series as a whole should be judged upon.

5 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

True, true. My point is that the movie is not what the entire series as a whole should be judged upon.

Ah yes, agreed. It should be treated like any other pilot, proof of concept but not necessarily proof of quality for the rest of the show.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I've watch the first episode and it was damn good!

I was afraid that the length of 1:14:40 might be a bit too long and lead to not really interresting narrative arcs like in the first movie but the episode turns out to be very well rythmed. The plot is really good so is the animation. It's real pleasure to see Filoni back again on a very interesting show after the two disappointment that were Rebels and Resistance.

Yes, I saw it yesterday. Pretty good episode -- although I had expected the animation to be considerably better than CLONE WARS, given the development of CGI. It wasn't. But story-wise, it was good. Stil hoping for something STAR WARS-related that isn't so full-on action, though. THE MANDALORIAN was good that way -- proper time to absorb the settings and just "be" within the SW universe.

I think it's probably on purpose that the animation looks very similar to the one in Clone Wars as Bad Batch is somehow almost its Season 8

Personnally just "being" in the SW universe like in The Mandalorian was really nice in the first season but I found that in the season 2 it gives ridiculous situation and narrative arcs crazyly illogical (at least in the first 5 chapters as I haven't seen the 3 last ones). So I'm kinda glad that they came back to a show with a part of action and a part of exploration

4 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

I think it's probably on purpose that the animation looks very similar to the one in Clone Wars as Bad Batch is somehow almost its Season 8.

Sure, I get that it's supposed to be a continuation and in the same basic style; I had just expected the animation itself to be a bit smoother. It's still very computer gamey and choppey.

Is the show actually interesting past the "Here's what happened in the immediate aftermath of Revenge of the Sith"? It always seemed like the sort of plot that should be a TV movie and that's it. I never saw the Bad Batch as the types of characters that'd be interesting to star in their own show.

Well, the first episode makes some interesting points about Order 66. I found it intriguing to think that - at this time, somewhere else in the universe, Anakin is butchering padawans etc. Extends the universe.

I enjoyed the episode - I had some worries that the characters wouldn’t be strong enough to sustain an entire series, but I think those worries are unfounded.  It’s already clear that we’re going to see development beyond the basic archetypes that the characters are modeled after.

Seeing the immediate consequences of fall of the Republic is something I’ve wanted, and I’ve been interested in seeing the transition from the Republic to the Imperial military - it was always jarring to me that there were almost no Clone Wars influences in Solo, which is only a decade later.  

I think what I like most of all is that this seems like a combination of the best elements of Clone Wars and Rebels.  We have the cool animation from Clone Wars and its willingness to explore tough topics, and we also get the crew/family aspect that we saw in Rebels.  I have some high hopes now!

I've been cyber friends with David G. Russell for decades. I believe he also wrote some additional music for this, just as he did for CLONE WARS. At least he's written as much on Facebook.

15 hours ago, Thor said:

Sure, I get that it's supposed to be a continuation and in the same basic style; I had just expected the animation itself to be a bit smoother. It's still very computer gamey and choppey.

I’m not sure why you expected it to be markedly different from TCW Season 7 which only came out last year

If you’re comparing it to the earlier seasons of the show pre-Disney take-over, then it’s pretty clear that the rendering has improved significantly, particularly in terms of lighting and post-processing, you may notice there’s actual depth of field now. The animation is also much more fluid, particularly in the dialogue scenes, with a slight Rebels influence

I just watched the first two episodes and I have to say that this really feels like a direct continuation of The Clone Wars, which I'm totally fine with.

The animation looks great, and the characters are starting to get more and more interesting, especially ones like Hunter and his relationship with Omega.

As for the score, Kiner further develops his style from that show, and so far I have catched a couple of references to previous themes, both by Kiner himself and by Williams.

Spoiler

Kanan's theme with young Caleb Dume, Saw Guerrera's theme with his cameo, the clones theme and the bad batch theme for the main group.

Also the Imperial March and some episode III material during the order 66 scene

So far so good, so I hope they keep this level.

I figured out where I recognize Omega's theme from! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is almost note for note:

Original Reddit post that pointed out the similarity with a clip from the show containing the theme in question: 

Just watching the premiere movie now.  Looks like a single was released.  Hopefully they follow up with albums like they did with TCW.

Enter the Bad Batch (From "Star Wars: The Bad Batch") - Single by Kevin Kiner

https://music.apple.com/us/album/enter-the-bad-batch-from-star-wars-the-bad-batch-single/1566243437?at=11l9m8&uo=4&app=itunes

32 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Just watching the premiere movie now.  Looks like a single was released.  Hopefully they follow up with albums like they did with TCW.

We already know that we're going to be getting the music in batches as well as singles for each episode.

June 25: Volume 1 (Episodes 1-8)
August 20: Volume 2 (Episodes 9-16)

If anyone's interested, here's my spreadsheet that I shall keep updated for the releases of the music.

I'm glad they've finally switched to Hollywood Orchestra instead of still using Symphonic Orchestra. I've been waiting for them to make the switch since ~2011 since it was sounding kind of dated. I don't hear any hint of the Prague Philharmonic from what I could tell, so it seems they've fully transitioned to a virtual orchestra, at least for now.

I’m now caught up on the show and think it’s really good!  

I don’t know if I saw this expressed here or elsewhere and I don’t care to look really, but it’s a bit of a missed character opportunity to attribute the sniper guy’s heel turn to the chip in his head.  Would have been a much more interesting/nuanced approach to have it be an actual choice, but whatever - I’m willing to go on whatever ride they’re taking us on.

11 hours ago, mstrox said:

I’m now caught up on the show and think it’s really good!  

I don’t know if I saw this expressed here or elsewhere and I don’t care to look really, but it’s a bit of a missed character opportunity to attribute the sniper guy’s heel turn to the chip in his head.  Would have been a much more interesting/nuanced approach to have it be an actual choice, but whatever - I’m willing to go on whatever ride they’re taking us on.

Yeah, this is a problem in general with the chips because they remove the agency in the situation.

Was a lot more grey in the old EU when it was a matter of conditioning and ARCs were made to be more independent.

• 1 month later...

Tracklist and duration's for the vol. 1 soundtrack releasing tomorrow (Two hours of music!):

Spoiler

01 Logo (Star Wars: The Bad Batch) (00:18)

02 Omega's Theme (02:58)

03 Civil War About to Begin (03:21)

04 Onderon (03:06)

05 Battle Simulation (04:46)

06 Experimental Tactics (02:34)

07 Omega Warns Hunter (02:34)

08 Caleb at the Cliff (03:01)

09 End of the War (03:17)

10 Tension with Crosshair (03:54)

11 Disobeying Orders (04:52)

12 First Time in Space (02:07)

12 Nexu Attack (01:57)

14 Raising Kids (03:31)

15 Smuggled Themselves (04:47)

16 Ordo Moon Dragon (04:24)

17 First Elite Squad (03:56)

18 Financial Incentives (03:23)

19 Danger at the Market (01:13)

20 Pantora Chase (03:12)

21 Fennec Shand (02:40)

22 Zygerrian Camp (03:22)

23 Muchi Unchained (02:58)

24 Monster Challenge (02:26)

25 Decommissioned Factory (04:25)

26 Police Droids (03:36)

27 A Diversion (03:31)

28 Stranger at the Bar (01:27)

29 To Bracca (02:32)

30 Stay Above the Water Line (03:02)

31 Chip Disorders (03:34)

32 Bomb Disposal Training (02:46)

33 Incoming Vessels (02:26)

34 Fight in the Artillery Room (02:44)

35 Breakaway Plan (03:49)

36 The Bounty Hunter is Back (02:29)

37 Cid's Dukebox Mix Vol. 1 (04:48)

I've updated my spreadsheet with a speculative chronological ordering but I will update this with detailed information once the soundtrack is available. The Omega's Theme track is a specially recorded unique arrangement of her theme! (Kevin previously mentioned it in an interview)

Samples are available!

• 1 month later...