Lucasfilm announces a bunch of new Star Wars Projects

Faleel

What's the significance of Disney announcing a bunch of Lucasfilm stuff today? Was this expected to happen or did it all come out of the blue? 

I thought the game awards would contain the big media announcements today! 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why did Disney pick Dec 10 though, any reason? 

I don't know why they pick the days they pick for investor presentations.

22 minutes ago, crumbs said:

So much money invested in an avalanche of new shows... and they still can't cough up the cash for expanded soundtracks. :crymore:

Nobody cares about them violins and trumpets in background music from the movies!

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

....and they still can't cough up the cash for expanded soundtracks. :crymore:

That's cuz they have to wear masks, on orders from Herr Gubner.

2 hours ago, MrJosh said:

, but they should have announced that they're handing over their entire music vault to Mike Matessino for him to have his way with to really get people excited. 

It's already been announce that MM will do the remastered and EXPANDED edition of INDY V, that everybody here already HATES!😛😅

Netflix taught them that you have to invest lots of money in original shows to justify your streaming service, and that's what they're doing. Of course, most of these shows will hardly reach the same level of success of Mandalorian.

Last "official word" was from Rian, that he's still developing it.  AFAIK that was some time ago.

I don't read absence of confirmation in that call of anything.  They only gave information for one feature film, and the rest was Disney+ stuff.  No word at all about what other feature films are forthcoming.

Not to say that I'd be surprised if Johnson wasn't doing it anymore.  Given the high rate of creative turnover in Lucasfilm generally over the last few years, as well as the fandom reaction to The Last Jedi (although I'm sure that Lucasfilm realizes that when you cater to the fans too much, you get...The Rise of Skywalker......)

17 hours ago, mstrox said:

I don't read absence of confirmation in that call of anything.  They only gave information for one feature film, and the rest was Disney+ stuff.  No word at all about what other feature films are forthcoming.

Not to say that I'd be surprised if Johnson wasn't doing it anymore.

Fair enough.

You do notice what else is missing, don’t you?

A certain someone’s sequel-sequel trilogy...?

I didn't mind TLJ so much until I saw Knives Out and it became clearer to me what this smart arse is all about -- he makes movies with a certain ideological bias to appease the Twitterati. And suddenly his worldview became much clearer when I was thinking back to TLJ.

What a write-off that sequel trilogy became. I'll just watch the prequels.

13 hours ago, The Big Man said:

I didn't mind TLJ so much until I saw Knives Out and it became clearer to me what this smart arse is all about -- he makes movies with a certain ideological bias to appease the Twitterati

Tin Man doesn't like films that don't worship rich people.

Which is weird considering he is poor, white trash.

😁

On 12/17/2020 at 10:18 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

There were several projects that have been announced that were not discussed at this panel that are still happening. For example, Taika Waititi's recently-announced film.

Which was meant to be the next Star Wars feature film, wasn't it?

But that's now Patty Jenkins' Rogue Squadron film instead.

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Which was meant to be the next Star Wars feature film, wasn't it?

But that's now Patty Jenkins' Rogue Squadron film instead.

No, it was never mentioned what was to come first.

Taika's project wasn't announced because he first needs to direct Thor: Love and Thunder for Marvel. He'll be busy with the Marvel movie until 2022, when it'll get released, then he can focus on Star Wars.

Disney announced dates today for all of their 2021 content.  Here's the Star Wars content

THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT – December 2021 (Lucasfilm / Disney+)

Boba Fett’s journey will continue in “The Book of Boba Fett,” which will be set within the timeline of “The Mandalorian” and star Temuera Morrison as the titular bounty hunter, along with Ming-Na Wen as Fennec Shand. Robert Rodriguez — who directed Chapter 14 of “The Mandalorian” in a thrilling installment that reintroduced Boba Fett to the Star Wars galaxy — joins Favreau and Dave Filoni as executive producer.

STAR WARS: THE BAD BATCH – 2021 (Lucasfilm /Disney+)

“Star Wars: The Bad Batch” follows the elite and experimental clones of the Bad Batch (first introduced in “The Clone Wars”) as they find their way in a rapidly changing galaxy in the immediate aftermath of the Clone War. Members of Bad Batch — a unique squad of clones who vary genetically from their brothers in the Clone Army — each possess a singular exceptional skill that makes them extraordinarily effective soldiers and a formidable crew. In the post-Clone War era, they will take on daring mercenary missions as they struggle to stay afloat and find new purpose.

That's it!

I have faith that Favreau and Filoni overseeing things will lead to more good than bad Star Wars content on Disney+, though the sheer amount of announced stuff does give me pause.

Luckily, 2021 is empty of any live action Star Wars until December and the real onslaught begins in the years following, so there's not gonna be a chance of real overload for a while. 

I'm not interested in any of the animated shows currently, though might be open to starting with The Clone Wars if I run out of other things to watch next year.

I hope the theatrical movies they release going forward are better than the 5 Disney has made so far.

It's a shame with all the endless possibilities this universe has, they gave us 3 more Skywalker movies and 2 prequels for OT characters/ideas.  Here's hoping they really branch out and give us some completely new ideas on the big screen in the future