Lucasfilm announces a bunch of new Star Wars Projects

Faleel

I'm just saying that Star Wars used to occasionally feature things like the charred remains of the hero's family, sleeping in the guts of an alien creature to avoid dying of exposure, the massacre of young children, etc, etc. Yes, The Force Awakens and Rogue One had about that level of "darkness," but I'd say it's been missing from every Star Wars project that's come out since those two.

9 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I mean, a character literally gets sliced in half by a lightsaber in The Last Jedi, and not just quickly -- for a moment the lightsaber is held halfway through them, as they realize what's happening to them!

I think its easy to make too much of those moments, and ignore the ways in which they are filmed and how they sit in the narrative.

The charred remains of Luke's family isn't something the camera lingers on too much and too close-up, and its not something that continues to burden Luke: the movie doesn't dwell on it, which is why the film almost got rated G regardless. Similarly, Snoke's actual bisection happens out-of-focus. We later do get a closeup of his corpse, though. It earned the film a PG-13, but not with flying colours, so to speak.

The edgiest moment in the films is probably still Anakin being set alight, because the camera dwells on it and on its aftermath.

I loved Solo. Imagine if they had marketed it! (And not "given" him his name. And had not turned off all of the lights in the Star Wars universe.)

It was refreshing to see an almost entirely Jedi free story.

8 hours ago, mstrox said:

Hard to believe this is the messaging when we are a mere week away from the release of Episode X

Sadly, those who don't want to be convinced, won't be convinced...

27 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Glad I’m an immigrant’s son. My father didn’t go through UNIMAGINABLE TRIALS so his son could grow up to be a cartoon-watching man-baby.

Jerry Siegel and Joel Shuster were the children of immigrants and they created Superman! Just saying.

I like the Adventures of Superman TV show from the 50s, and do put it on the TV set for my younger kids. My 9yo son and I watch Superman: The Movie: Extended Cut + Supeman II from time to time. Great stuff!

42 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Glad I’m an immigrant’s son. My father didn’t go through UNIMAGINABLE TRIALS so his son could grow up to be a cartoon-watching man-baby.

I don’t know.  I can imagine quite a bit.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Star Wars is facing the opposite challenge. After being absent from the big screen since 2019 and having had false starts with Patty Jenkins’ Rogue Squadron, which may never materialize, Disney has ramped up its efforts to return the franchise to theaters. Damon Lindelof led a writers room in July to hash out a story for a feature, and Taika Waititi is still developing his own take on the franchise. Disney is expected to unveil film plans at Star Wars Celebration, set for April in London. On top of season three of Mandalorian, shows expected to hit the streaming service this year include Ahsoka, starring Rosario Dawson, and the Jon Watts-produced Skeleton Crew. “Lucasfilm may ramp up, but it will have to abide by the same fiscal discipline as the rest of the company,” says the insider.

Observers are calling it a “massive correction” from only a few years ago, when the entertainment industry was hell-bent on giving consumers endless amounts to watch, and spending endlessly in doing so. “You can have 10 mediocre shows or you can have five great shows,” says one agency partner whose clients work on the franchise plays. “People will still stay on Disney+.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/marvel-star-wars-tv-shows-movies-slowdown-1235326681/

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

Of all the writers in Hollywood, they turned to... Damon Lindelof? :|

Tell me you never watched The Leftovers or Watchmen without telling me you never watched The Leftovers or Watchmen

7 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

As a huge (and recent) fan of the comics, I have a feeling I would probably hate it

The writers of the miniseries love the original comic as well and treated it with the utmost respect, IMO.

It's not an adaptation of the comic, it's a sequel showing you what the surviving characters get up to 35 years later.

12 hours ago, mstrox said:

You’d like it a lot more than the movie or any of the sequel comics DC has done in the past 10 years, I’d reckon!

Quite a low bar re: the movie but fair enough

My skepticism mostly comes from Alan Moore being a *very* unique voice (especially politically) that I fear can’t be adequately replicated by others 

22 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

As a huge (and recent) fan of the comics, I have a feeling I would probably hate it

Most fans of the comics I know love it, and it is very much a sequel to the comics and not the Snyder movie (to the point that some viewers were confused by certain elements that were left out of the film).

Yavar

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally some definitive news then.  Jenkin's and Feige's films are officially dead.

So the December 2025 SW film can be one of 3 remaining options then (since I assume Rian John is in Benoit Blanc land instead of gearing up to direct another major SW movie)

On 03/02/2023 at 2:21 PM, Jay said:
  1. Rian Johnson's trilogy
  2. Patty Jenkin's Rogue Squadron
  3. Taika Waititi's ???
  4. Damon Lindelof's ???
  5. Shawn Levy's ???
  6. Kevin Feige's ???

My ranking of these Star Wars rumored movies from the ones that seemed most interesting to the least interesting:

1. Damon Lindelof;
  2. Rian Johnson;
  3. Shawn Levy;
  4. Patty Jenkins;
  5. Kevin Feige;
  6. Taika Waititi