Lucasfilm announces a bunch of new Star Wars Projects

Clockwork Angel

I'm just saying that Star Wars used to occasionally feature things like the charred remains of the hero's family, sleeping in the guts of an alien creature to avoid dying of exposure, the massacre of young children, etc, etc. Yes, The Force Awakens and Rogue One had about that level of "darkness," but I'd say it's been missing from every Star Wars project that's come out since those two.

Yeah, I’d say live action Star Wars has held its baseline 12-year-old audience pretty steady over the decades.

9 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I mean, a character literally gets sliced in half by a lightsaber in The Last Jedi, and not just quickly -- for a moment the lightsaber is held halfway through them, as they realize what's happening to them!

I think its easy to make too much of those moments, and ignore the ways in which they are filmed and how they sit in the narrative.

The charred remains of Luke's family isn't something the camera lingers on too much and too close-up, and its not something that continues to burden Luke: the movie doesn't dwell on it, which is why the film almost got rated G regardless. Similarly, Snoke's actual bisection happens out-of-focus. We later do get a closeup of his corpse, though. It earned the film a PG-13, but not with flying colours, so to speak.

The edgiest moment in the films is probably still Anakin being set alight, because the camera dwells on it and on its aftermath.

I loved Solo. Imagine if they had marketed it! (And not "given" him his name. And had not turned off all of the lights in the Star Wars universe.)

It was refreshing to see an almost entirely Jedi free story.

8 hours ago, mstrox said:

Hard to believe this is the messaging when we are a mere week away from the release of Episode X

Sadly, those who don't want to be convinced, won't be convinced...

27 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Glad I’m an immigrant’s son. My father didn’t go through UNIMAGINABLE TRIALS so his son could grow up to be a cartoon-watching man-baby.

Jerry Siegel and Joel Shuster were the children of immigrants and they created Superman! Just saying.

I like the Adventures of Superman TV show from the 50s, and do put it on the TV set for my younger kids. My 9yo son and I watch Superman: The Movie: Extended Cut + Supeman II from time to time. Great stuff!

42 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Glad I’m an immigrant’s son. My father didn’t go through UNIMAGINABLE TRIALS so his son could grow up to be a cartoon-watching man-baby.

I don’t know.  I can imagine quite a bit.

• 3 months later...

The article says “New Republic era.”  I suspect, given Favreau and Filoni’s involvement, that it will be Mando adjacent, at least when considering the timeline.