So Noah Hawley is creating an Alien TV series...

Jay

Wow, such negativity. 

Personally, I'm very excited for this, despite a little bit of nervousness surrounding the Disney element (but FX has managed to produce quite subversive, brutal material regardless, like AMERICAN HORROR STORY). Wrote a news bit myself here (in Norwegian): https://montages.no/nyheter/noah-hawley-skal-utvikle-alien-serie-for-disney-og-fx/

Love Hawley's work on FARGO and LEGION (I'll leave out his disappointing LUCY IN THE SKY feature debut for now).

This franchise went into the wrong direction very early. 

The idea in ALIEN was great. The sequel was brillant. But it would have been better to not build such a whole film series just on that one bloody parasite idea. It is like telling a hillarious joke a hundred times. Maybe the hundred's time you still admit that it is a good joke, but you just cannot laugh anymore. If early on they would have had ideas to stretch the univers, something like the diea behind this Cloverfiled universe. I mean, they stretched this one definitely too much and will never get hold of all these puzzle pieces.

But even the idea of Scott that Bladerunner and Alien might be set in the same universe brought more value to it than the 6th sequel will bring to it. 

• 6 months later...
On 7/4/2021 at 4:01 AM, AC1 said:

Wait! The man behind the upcoming Alien TV series is Noah 'Fargo' Hawley?!

Why wasn't I notified?!

You posted in this thread:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33327-so-noah-hawley-is-creating-an-alien-tv-series/

Or is it my Cremerits again?

Cremeritis is when you post news or a trailer into a thread without bothering to look at the thread you're posting into and realize that this news or trailer is already there, and the most recent posts in the thread are already discussing it. It can be seen as having an attitude of "I personally have discovered something cool so I will immediately share it, there's no possible way it's already being discussed, I won't even check" when the same person does it frequently. 

It has nothing to do with forgetting things you once knew. That's just a thing that happens sometimes. 

Still, with Hawley at the helm, the TV series has the potential to wipe the floor with Ridley Scott's Prometheus series. The only drawback that I can see is that it takes place on Earth. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2020 at 7:07 PM, Q said:

Saw Alien TV series, interest piqued. Noticed Ridley Scott's "very involved", interest tempered. 

Probably an unpopular opinion but I'm happy to have a "cinematic universe" for Alien if it means we get both Alien 5 with Ripley and a trilogy-closing chapter of David's character from Scott. The latter seems highly unlikely but I'd really like to see how that narrative ends.

I'd think this show would have to be about more than the "Aliens". I'd personally find a series set in that universe, that didn't revolve around the Xenomorphs, to be more interesting. The Xeno's are like the Borg, the more we see of them the less scary they are. They really haven't been that interesting since Aliens IMO.

In any event, find a list of every marginally successful FOX property, especially one that conjures up even a hint of nostalgia, and you can bet Disney is looking at reviving, rebooting, or reimagining it.

• 1 month later...

Ridley Scott (non-verbatim):

Prometheus made $404 million at the global box-office and it had no alien. Covenant made $204 million at the global box-office even though it had an alien. This shows that people are tired of the alien. 

Hmm, I thought this showed people didn't like Prometheus?

Well, it's not necessarily the creature itself that is at the core of those films problems and audience reception. Alien (1979) was more than just the creature, it was the atmosphere, the sci-fi get-up and the survival horror aspect too.

Prometheus and Covenant took the creatures and demystified their origins, taking elements that are better left to our imaginations. The question of where the space jockey and the ship originated, or where the alien eggs came from don't need answers, they were merely elements used as a backdrop for the story.

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Well, it's not necessarily the creature itself that is at the core of those films problems and audience reception. Alien (1979) was more than just the creature, it was the atmosphere, the sci-fi get-up and the survival horror aspect too.

Prometheus and Covenant took the creatures and demystified their origins, taking elements that are better left to our imaginations. The question of where the space jockey and the ship originated, or where the alien eggs came from don't need answers, they were merely elements used as a backdrop for the story.

That's why I said the problem was Prometheus, not the alien. It's why only half of the public returned to see Covenant

Whether it's because of the demystifying element or because of people not liking the movie is up for debate.

I agree with @Arpy, although the demystifying of the aliens started when Cameron turned them into action figures. ALIEN³ attempted to redress the balance, but ALIEN RESSURECTION just gave up, and had them as objects almost of fun.

What AVP, and AVP-R are, is anyone's guess.

I like COVENANT, and I really like PROMETHEUS, so much so that I shelled-out to see it twice at the cinema - and in 3D both times, no less!

The story can have only one ending. Let's hope that Scott and co. make it a good one.

35 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

... although the demystifying of the aliens started when Cameron turned them into action figures. ALIEN³ attempted to redress the balance,

This indicates that the demystifying aspect doesn't matter, which is exactly what I tend to believe.

It's ridiculous to compare any Alien sequel, whether it's on TV or cinema, with the first one. It's like a soccer team hiring a promising young player and the coach says: "Yeah, you're good but you're never going to be as good as Pelé and Maradona". 

When you're compared with a thing that is considered "one of the best of all time", of course you're going to be behind it.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Must.......control......myself......

Your avatar and comments are in perfect sync at the moment.

Sad that Scott doesn't give the show a chance. It looks like a cheap move to make people talk about him while promoting his The Last Duel, I'm kind of bored by those moves

Anyway it's obvious that it's very unlikely to do better than the original (how can one do better than perfection?) but still this show could turn out to be a real pleasure as some of the sequels have been by the past

• 2 months later...

Hawley on the Alien show:

It's going great. It's going slowly, unfortunately, given the scale of it. I've made a certain business out of reinvention. Alien is a fascinating story because it's not just a monster movie; it’s about how we're trapped between the primordial past and the artificial intelligence of our future, where both trying to kill us. It’s set on Earth of the future. At this moment, I describe that as Edison versus Westinghouse versus Tesla. Someone’s going to monopolize electricity. We just don't know which one it is.

In the movies, we have this Weyland-Yutani Corporation, which is clearly also developing artificial intelligence—but what if there are other companies trying to look at immortality in a different way, with cyborg enhancements or transhuman downloads? Which of those technologies is going to win? It’s ultimately a classic science fiction question: does humanity deserve to survive? As Sigourney Weaver said in that second movie, “I don't know which species is worse. At least they don't fuck each other over for a percentage.” Even if the show was 60% of the best horror action on the planet, there's still 40% where we have to ask, “What are we talking about it, beneath it all?” Thematically, it has to be interesting. It’s humbling to get to play with the iconography of this world.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/a38591125/noah-hawley-anthem-alien-fargo-interview/

Yup, read it on FSM a couple of days ago. This is probably the one "cultural product" I look forward to the most at the moment.

Interesting quote on Hawley there but... uhh, that sounds more in the realm of what Scott was exploring in Prometheus/Covenant with David than anything in the original Alien films.

Blade Runner too. 

Just don't like the idea of Aliens roaming around in New York or any other earthly setting. Feels so TV-ish, or worse, B movie-ish like Alien vs. Predator: Requiem.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Just don't like the idea of Aliens roaming around in New York or any earthly setting. Feels so TV-ish, or worse, B movie-ish like Alien vs. Predator: Requiem.

REQUIEM has grown on me in recent years. That scene when the xeno enters the kitchen is so traumatic, it has appeared in many of my nightmares. So there are definitely benefits to that approach. But I think this is not going to be some gung-ho series with the creature roaming about the city, PREDATOR 2-style, but more cerebral and contained. At least I hope so.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...