So Noah Hawley is creating an Alien TV series...

Jay

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I liked the way he transported his DEADWOOD and JUSTIFIED personalities into the STAR WARS universe in THE MANDALORIAN and THE BOOK OF BOBA FETT. But otherwise, he hasn't done a lot of sci fi. DREAMCATCHER, perhaps. But he's good in whatever he does.

4 hours ago, A24 said:

People here don't seem to be all that pumped up for the Alien TV series. Perhaps it's time for an Alien/Star Wars crossover?

Perish the thought....

ALIEN is already "crossed over" with PREDATOR and even BLADE RUNNER (and by extension also things like SOLDIER), depending on how you look at it. That's more than enough.

15 minutes ago, A24 said:

There is no Alien / Blade runner crossover, Thor.

Again, depends on how you see it, and what you include as canon or not. Various bits and bobs and easter eggs, and even Scott's own suggestion that they're part of the same.

ER0tgNVXYAEPm09.jpg

6 minutes ago, Brónach said:

bc it's Alien

Hmm ... hence my Alien/Star Wars proposal. 

- "Master, there are too many of them, and The Force doesn't protect us from their acid blood!" 

- "Sacrifice yourself for me, padawan! Sacrifice yourself! Protect me! Aaaargh!"

Could be good right?

;)

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Again, depends on how you see it, and what you include as canon or not. Various bits and bobs and easter eggs, and even Scott's own suggestion that they're part of the same.

ER0tgNVXYAEPm09.jpg

So because of some silly easter egg meant as a joke you think they are really the same universe? Interesting.

2 minutes ago, Brónach said:

well, the point is more like what's the point in doing to alien like to star wars

Hence my Disney-esque dialog bit.

13 minutes ago, A24 said:

So because of some silly easter egg meant as a joke you think they are really the same universe? Interesting.

A number of them, and Scott's own comments.

Although there hasn't been a big crossover project yet, it starts with these small easter eggs. The Alien/Predator comics and crossover films, whatever you think of them, also started this way with the shot of a xenomorph skull aboard the Predator spacecraft in PREDATOR 2.

Another cool "reuse":

650-1200-1_tp2y.jpg

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

650-1200-1_tp2y.jpg

That was re-used to save money. 

Scott meant (30 years later apropos) that design-wise or stylistically the two movies could be in the same universe. I won't argue with that. 

Scott quote in article above:

Speaking on the crew of the ‘Nostromo’ in Alien, he’s said: “I think when they come back in [to Earth], they might go to a bar off the street near where Deckard lives”.

There are probably hundreds of articles and sites online that discuss this connection, so it's not like it's some new thing. It's been debated since BLADE RUNNER came out.

You're free to NOT consider them connected, of course, despite the comments and easter eggs. I, personally, do. It just opens up the whole experience and universe even more. I also dug it when BLADE RUNNER screenwriter David Peoples snuck in references to that universe in SOLDIER, thereby connecting them too. When done well, I love these crossover things.

This Alien crossover roots of course in the wish of fans that there might be more to this franchise than a dump "always same creature hunts people across a closed location. But it isn't. It's pretty much that. 

If Scott from the very beginning would have setup something like the Cloverfield universe (just in good), then it would have been cool. But the producers just aimed for more of the same. 

If they had included from the beginning movies like Bladerunner or Outland, this really could have been a great thing. 

I've read too much to know it's never been the plan to put Blade Runner in the same universe as Alien. Scott very much wanted to create a comic book movie and create a city (based on The Long Tomorrow and Metropolis) where one easily could believe Batman would live. That's why Scott wanted to call the movie Gotham City before it was changed to Blade Runner. Charles de Lauzirika, producer of the Blu-ray and the FC, admitted the easter egg was a joke. 

Well I've read that Aliens and Avatar are supposedly in the same universe. And since Alien & Aliens clearly are, can I also assume that Alien & Avatar are in the same universe? Which I guess would also mean that Avatar & Predator are in the same universe. As are Avatar & Prometheus.  And it follows then that Predator & Prometheus share this universe as well.

Which I guess means Ripley and her Alien DNA now live somewhere inside a Na'vi tree. Or something.

Who doesn't want to see a Na'vi Xenomorph?

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Thor said:

Cool! I like Russo's stuff (most of the time).

Yeah I was just saying on another thread after watching Fargo season 5, his stuff is great. It's often not super melodic so I don't really listen to the score on its own, but in the context of the show it does just what it needs to and adds so well to the drama and tension. I love the main theme and all the different variations it gets. 

Russo is the most banal of composers - he gets what he needs to do but never anything more at all. Listen to the theme of For Man Kind - it sounds like the kind of music that should be in a space opera but it is so hopelessly bland. Sure, Fargo had some good Burwell approximations but Alien.....it will be Jed Kunzel again - some orchestrator dude doing ghosting and Russo does the most banal theme imaginable.

• 2 months later...