Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (2023)

Manakin Skywalker

Let me point out that the film is being directed by Patty Jenkins, who has primarily been collaborating with Hans Zimmer lately...

Maybe JW will compose some new themes ? 

Incidentally, wouldn't that be JW first score (or partial score) for a movie directed by a woman ? 

35 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

They film a shitty 90s video game? 

Same name, different story. This film film take place long after TROS.

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

I know there was the whole kerfuffle with Giacchino's Rogue One score, but isn't it likely that he will eventually come back to the fold?

Perhaps he's doing the Cassian Andor series? Not sure if he scores TV shows anymore.

59 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

They film a shitty 90s video game? 

I would assume it is inspired the X-Wing novel series. A few of those were about Wraith Squadron, but most of them were about Rogue Squadron. Rogue Squadron was the title of the first book. Those books are pretty highly regarded, as are the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games upon which they were based.

26 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Same name, different story. This film film take place long after TROS.

Where have you seen that? I doubt that is the case. I’ll bet Rogue Squadron is set in the same time period as The Mandalorian (and Ahsoka and Rangers of the New Republic), and they all culminate in a big crossover event (the Thrawn Crisis, I’d guess).

48 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

I know there was the whole kerfuffle with Giacchino's Rogue One score, but isn't it likely that he will eventually come back to the fold?

Perhaps he's doing the Cassian Andor series? Not sure if he scores TV shows anymore.

If these shows are all big budget like Mando, I could see them getting Giacchino, though. Does he have minions? Then it's even more likely.

22 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

I’ll bet Rogue Squadron is set in the same time period as The Mandalorian (and Ahsoka and Rangers of the New Republic), and they all culminate in a big crossover event (the Thrawn Crisis, I’d guess).

Lol yeah I think you called it, dude.

40 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Where have you seen that?

It was either StarWars.com or the Star Wars Twitter account. It's supposed to "usher in a new era" after the events of TROS.

EDIT: From StarWars.com...

The next Star Wars feature film will be Rogue Squadron — directed by Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman franchise). The story will introduce a new generation of starfighter pilots as they earn their wings and risk their lives in a boundary-pushing, high-speed thrill-ride, and move the saga into the future era of the galaxy.

Maybe what they actually meant was that it's a new era for the franchise Star Wars, and not for the galaxy of Star Wars?

I think it's much more likely that Rogue Squadrons will be set during the Empire era, or maybe the same timeframe as Mandalorian/Ahsoka/etc. It'd be cool if all of them cross over at some point.

4 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Maybe what they actually meant was that it's a new era for the franchise Star Wars, and not for the galaxy of Star Wars?

I think it's much more likely that Rogue Squadrons will be set during the Empire era, or maybe the same timeframe as Mandalorian/Ahsoka/etc. It'd be cool if all of them cross over at some point.

It's too soon to tell I suppose.

Rangers of the New Republic is also a Mandalorian spin-off alongside Ahsoka; I have no clue what that will be about, but I'm under the impression that might also be ship-related.

But he likes women, he likes good looking women. And he writes female characters so well, it's like he has such deep insight into their minds and the way they think. Who needs a female writer/director when Joss Whedon can do it?!

6 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Probably they will train a new generation, so expect veteran denis lawson acting as commanding officer?

That hadn’t occurred to me. Yes, if they can get Denis Lawson, that would be a great reason to set it in the post-TRoS present.

3 hours ago, toothless said:

I always wondered with such important saga if the filmmaker has that much input into the composer choice.

My impression is that they can to a degree, but the studio must approve them. So I wouldn't expect any "lesser-known" composers to work on Star Wars for the foreseeable future; mostly big-name Hollywood blockbuster composers.

2 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

That hadn’t occurred to me. Yes, if they can get Denis Lawson, that would be a great reason to set it in the post-TRoS present.

It could be mandalorian era... Just dye lawsons hair.

Patty has said that the movie will be an original story, but will have great influence from the games and books.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/star_wars/wonder-woman-1984-director-patty-jenkins-says-rogue-squadron-takes-inspiration-from-books-and-games-a180865

Yeah he definitely won't be scoring it, but hopefully he'll at least be willing to write a theme. 

Unfortunately I don't see Hans Zimmer not scoring it, so that's disappointing.

On 12/12/2020 at 8:40 AM, toothless said:

I always wondered with such important saga if the filmmaker has that much input into the composer choice.

I think Kathleen Kennedy will have veto power over who Patty Jenkins wants to score Rogue Squadron. There's no way Zimmer or RGW will score it, unless they write it in JW's style.

This is an exciting project. I think Patty can nail it, just like she did with Wonder Woman.

Maybe John Powell can come on board. He did a GREAT job with Solo.

On 12/11/2020 at 4:08 PM, Edmilson said:

Joss Whedon is #canceled at Hollywood after accusations of infidelity came up, and after he alleged treated poorly the cast of Justice League, specifically Cyborg's actor Ray Fisher.

Just makes me like him even more.

4 hours ago, Matt C said:

Maybe John Powell can come on board. He did a GREAT job with Solo.

I could imagine his voice fitting a project like this a lot easier than Indy.

• 6 months later...

"The upcoming Star Wars: Rogue Squadron film now has its writer. The Invention of Lying and Dora and the Lost City of Gold writer Matt Robinson will be penning the upcoming film in the Star Wars franchise."

"Robinson is known for his written work in both films and television. In addition to the previously listed movies, he’s also written Love and Monsters, Monster Trucks, and Jerked in addition to a few shows like The Power Inside and Black Box. He also wrote the screenplays for the upcoming films Live Die Repeat and Repeat and Little Shop of Horrors."

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1180206-star-wars-rogue-squadron-writer-matt-robinson

Oh no.

Love and Monsters was painfully average, that doesn’t bode well for the quality of the script. Invention of Lying I thought was good but I think that’s mostly due to Gervais comedic writing, I can feel his voice very strongly which is unsurprising since he was the co-writer.

i also thought Love and Monsters was pretty dreadful, but don’t let Thor hear us saying that - I’m pretty sure it was near the top of his 2021 list somehow.   None of that writer’s movies inspire any confidence, but ya don’t write Star Wars in a bubble.  Lucasfilm has shown that they’re willing to ditch talent if it’s not working (except in cases of extreme time crunch, TROS).  Besides, Star Wars has a nearly 50 year history of being written be terrible writers ;) 

On 12/14/2020 at 1:03 PM, Edmilson said:

Maybe we should start a social media campaign to convince Disney and Patty to consider Powell for the job?

#BringJohnPowelltoRogueSquadron

Nah. I like the idea if bringing in a new composer for each film. Even if we are not talking about big names, there are so many composers who could break out with this movie.

Why are we automatically assuming everything wrong with WW84 was purely from Jenkins having a hand in the script? Sure, they may have decided on the general feel and tone, but Geoff Johns has made plenty of stinkers as well, and the one other movie she wrote (Monster) has good reviews. Besides, as mentioned, I doubt Lucasfilm would be one to let a creative head go completely off the rails, so I imagine there wouldn't be much to worry even if she was involved.

• 4 months later...