Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (2023)

Manakin Skywalker

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

The two posts immediately before mine about Feige’s planned movie are straight from the clickbait misinfo factory, and sharing them as fact just perpetuates the misinformation even if you aren’t citing the original source.

The Kevin Feige rumor always baffled me, considering all of these articles specifically say he will be "directing" the film. It would only take a quick look on IMDB to see that he doesn't have a single directing credit. That's not his M.O.

Not only is he just a mere producer, but he is currently (and has been for quite some time) the "President of Marvel Studios". He does not have a single non-Marvel credit to his name since he was given this title. He is not a contractor, such as someone like J.J. Abrams. That would be the equivalent of Kathleen Kennedy directing a Marvel film, which would make absolutely no sense.

7 hours ago, PokeDocMatt said:

I don’t particularly care who does Rogue Squadron (as long as it’s not Rian Johnson), I just want it made. Disney and Kennedy are clueless if they think that a Rogue Squadron film wouldn’t have a good chance of being commercially successful and a fantastic film. Of all the “legacy” Star Wars media, Rogue Squadron, from the books to the comics to the video games, probably had some of the greatest reach. 

Maybe there isn't anything interesting they have to tell about Rogue Squadron apart from what is already out.

10 hours ago, mstrox said:

The two posts immediately before mine about Feige’s planned movie are straight from the clickbait misinfo factory, and sharing them as fact just perpetuates the misinformation even if you aren’t citing the original source.

Mike, Kevin Feige producing a Star Wars movie is also a fact and not a rumor

https://ew.com/movies/2019/09/25/marvel-boss-kevin-feige-developing-new-star-wars-film/

The screenwriter Feige hired even gave an update not long ago

https://www.techradar.com/news/kevin-feiges-star-wars-movie-writer-is-an-inspired-choice

So what are you on about here? 

9 hours ago, mstrox said:

Sharing them as fact? The two posts which begin, “I thought?”

My post is not “straight from” anywhere other than my own 2019 post speculating on the subject right here on this board. I’ve always tried to be careful to separate the gossip from the official info, but at the end of the day, this is not a news agency; we can shoot the shit a little. If you think I said something wrong, I’d be happy to be corrected. Accusing your fellow posters of “misinformation” has such a sinister, slanderous quality about it. We’re just talking about star war movies!

It's a fact that Lucasfilm hired Feige to produce a Star Wars movie

It's a fact that Lucasfilm hired Waititi to direct a Star Wars movie

Of course we can speculate if those 2 films are one and the same, or two different films.

I don't understand what Troxie's problem is here.

Feige is not producing a *trilogy* and there is no word that Feige is directing anything (as somebody mentioned above, that’s outlandish).  At this point there is no evidence that Waititi’s project and Feige’s project have ever been related.  However, all of these ideas did come out of junk click drivers in the initial furor around the actual official announcements.  

I meant to make one small statement and leave it at that, so at this point it just seems like I’m making a bigger deal than I am about what amounts to dumb movie development rumors. But I care a lot about media literacy.  The erosion of the ability for people to find and understand the source of news, to evaluate whether that source is reliable,  and to not blindly believe things as-presented without doing that research has real societal implications well beyond movie clickbait blogs.

Seems the story behind these movies would be a lot more interesting than the finished products.

I'll echo my post from a few months back: this film won't see the light of day, or it'll be reworked into another Disney+ series instead (like Boba Fett). 

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Nobody in this thread stated that Feige is producing a trilogy, and nobody in this thread stated that Feige is directing anything. 

On 16/9/2022 at 11:20 PM, Pellaeon said:

Kennedy and Feige were going to produce the next three Star Wars films (originally slated for 2022 - 2024 - 2026)

There’s the trilogy bit.  The Waititi thing is either above or below it.  Sorry, the director thing came up later in this thread after my original say.

He did not state that as fact. He said "I thought...", and you conveniently left that out of your quote box. He also did not state (or think) they were a connected trilogy, but just three different films. 

People are allowed to not remember exactly what they heard, and couch a memory of what it might have been with "I thought" 

I didn’t say trilogy, and that 2022-2024-2026 release schedule was not a rumor: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/disney-avatar-star-wars-marvel-1203207661/ “Disney announced there will be a trio of untitled “Star Wars” entries. These will hit theaters after “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” brings the Skywalker spinoff saga to a close this December. The first of the new three films will hit the big screen on Dec. 16, 2022. There will be two other follow-ups that will premiere in the Christmas corridor on Dec. 20, 2024 and Dec. 18, 2026.”

These were subsequently rescheduled for 2023 (Rogue Squadron), 2025, and 2027. https://web.archive.org/web/20210120044429/https://www.waltdisneystudios.com/assets/disney-release-calendar-12.15.20.pdf

I think that taking care to not re-distribute crap rumors from clickbait websites is a great message, but I don't think that is what happened in this thread.

I try to keep all of my entertainment news consumption bound to just 4 or 5 trusted sites: Variety, Hollywood Reporter, and Deadline for original reporting, plus maybe one or two aggregation sites that actually exercise some editorial judgment like Slash Film).

If there's anything worth reporting, it will be found on those sites.  If it's baseless speculation or uncorroborated rumors, I'd rather wait until there's enough corroboration for those sites to report it.

Sure, but I don't think that not remembering exactly how many films Lucasfilm said Feige would produce for them is contributing to the shit that clickbaiters do

I tend to get my movie news from reddit, unless I see it here first. 

When bringing news from reddit to here, I'll often look for the original source article (often Variety, Deadline, or Hollywood Reporter) and use that instead of the actual article shared on reddit 

• 2 months later...

According to Patty, the movie is not dead... yet.

Jenkins also addressed another project, the Star Wars feature Rogue Squadron, which presumably was dead after Lucasfilm indefinitely delayed it last year. However, she noted it is still in active development and that after delaying the project to focus on Wonder Woman 3, Lucasfilm offered her a new contract and she is still working on it, though she is unclear if it will get made or not.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/patty-jenkins-breaks-silence-wonder-woman-3-1235279220/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
9 hours ago, Mephariel said:

What?

https://collider.com/patty-jenkins-claims-rogue-squadron-still-happening/

So how long before another article reads, "Jenkins' Star Wars film is no longer happening?"

I find it easier now to just believe a SW movie's coming out when I have a ticket in my hand to watch it.

Nice that directors have nice, low-stakes Star Wars gigs to fall back on when their big superhero franchises flop.