Alexandre Desplat - The Midnight Sky (2020)

Edmilson

ABKCO Records will release the official soundtrack album for the Netflix original film The Midnight Sky. The album features the movie’s original music composed by Academy Award winner Alexandre Desplat (The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Shape of Water, The Queen, The King’s Speech, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Godzilla). The soundtrack will be released on December 23 and is now available for pre-order on Amazon and other digital music stores. Two tracks (The Midnight Sky & Aether Spaceship) are already available to stream/download now and can be checked out after the jump. The Midnight Sky is directed by George Clooney who also stars in the film, alongside Felicity Jones, David Oyelowo, Kyle Chandler, Demián Bichir and Tiffany Boone. The post-apocalyptic drama is based on Lily Brooks-Dalton’s novel Good Morning, Midnight and follows a lonely scientist in the Arctic, as he races to stop a woman and her fellow astronauts from returning home to Earth, where a mysterious global catastrophe has taken place. The movie just opened in select theaters this past Friday and will premiere on December 23 on Netflix.

1. The Midnight Sky (3:31)
2. Aether Spaceship (3:33)
3. Mission (4:24)
4. Sullivan’s Nightmare (2:09)
5. Iris In The Stars (4:32)
6. Augustine’s Redemption (2:54)
7. Evacuation (2:48)
8. Wolves Attack (2:06)
9. Families & Friends (2:32)
10. In The Milky Way (2:55)
11. A Child (1:57)
12. Peas Battle (3:22)
13. First Alert (3:54)
14. Dead Birds (1:10)
15. Crashed Plane (5:22)
16. The Ice Breaks (3:09)
17. Visual On Earth (3:00)
18. Survivors (3:11)
19. Is There Hope? (7:43)
20. Changing Route (3:55)
21. Asteroids Rain (2:08)
22. Blood Drops (5:33)
23. Mourning (4:00)
24. There Is Nowhere (2:13)
25. A Ride Home (1:44)
26. A New Life Ahead (3:03)

These tracks are good.

Maybe I hear a hint of First Man in the second track?

This doesn't sound phoned in. Looks like Desplat put in the work for this one.

Also SHOCKINGLY - 2020 maybe the first year of Desplat's career where he scored one single film. MIND BLOWN.

He's always literally scoring dozens every month.

27 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

These tracks are good.

Maybe I hear a hint of First Man in the second track?

This doesn't sound phoned in. Looks like Desplat put in the work for this one.

Also SHOCKINGLY - 2020 maybe the first year of Desplat's career where he scored one single film. MIND BLOWN.

He's always literally scoring dozens every month.

That's not what literally means

Loved the book the film is based on, and I only just made the connection between that book, "Good Morning, Midnight" and this score. I knew a movie was in the works, but it escaped me that Desplat was on board. 

• 2 weeks later...

The film was okay, but rather detached. The combination of arctic survival and outer space drama seemed like a premise tailormade to my taste, but it didn't quite reach the level I had hoped for - neither on a philosophical, emotional or visceral level. But I'm going to watch it again at some point. Enough interesting setpieces to pull me back in.

The Desplat score felt anonymous (as usual) except that bit that sounds like Williams.

I started watching this the other day, but it completely failed to hook me. Like Thor, it does in theory have all the ingredients for me to be interested, but when it keeps wandering between Clooney's scenes and others, it lost me. I couldn't tell you what was going on with the storyline with the English woman.

Desplat's music was rather good, although he seems to have shifted tracks all out of order.

The movie is very weak, and Clooney insists on trying to create false actions scenes, and poor Desplat tries to make dream sequences and alarm beeps sound exciting and dangerous. 

The main theme is pretty good and sounds like a requiem, and the child theme is beautiful. The cues The Midnight Sky and Iris in the Stars represent them very well. 

Just listened to the OST album.

I absolutely love the main theme in The Midnight Sky. It's one of the best cues of 2020 for me and reminded me of Lilly's Theme from HP 7.2. Desplat was absolutely right when he released it as a single.

The rest of the album isn't as great as this track. In fact, this is pretty much middle-of-the-road Desplat, but with an increase on the electronic elements. It has its moments, but if you're a Desplat hater, you'll absolutely hate this score.

But as I said on the other post, it worked just fine in the movie. 

The OST is growing on me. I appreciate that he's using more electronic.

And I agree, those 2 singles are the best tracks of the entire album. I'm sure I'll love the whole thing after some more listens.

The title track is indeed quite good and on a fresh listen struck me as not particularly space-y.

Honest to god, had you played it to me and asked me what genre of movie it was, I would have guesses a period piece.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched this. I enjoyed the movie, think it needed a bit extra to really elevate it. It has all the ingredients, it just misses that emotional punch at the end. Still liked it.

Also a lovely theme by Desplat, haven’t listened to the album yet but love the title track and thought the score worked well im the movie. It is indeed a bit reminiscent of the Lily theme in Potter7 (which by no means is a bad thing).

• 1 month later...