Jerry Goldsmith's INCHON (1981) - 2020 Intrada 3-CD

Jay

INTRADA Announces:

INCHON
Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH
INTRADA ISC 452

Intrada announces a hi-res (24-bit, 96kHz) digital release of Inchon – one of its best-selling albums. Jerry Goldsmith's 1982 epic war score, previously reissued three times on CD, is now featured in this digital release, allowing for a dramatic improvement in detail and depth in the quality of music over what one can hear with the the more common 16-bit, 44.1kHz CD format.

To commemorate this release, Intrada is also making Inchon available for a limited time in a newly packaged 3-CD set. Although not able to take advantage of the hi-res format, the new mastering still improves over previous releases. This CD release will only be available for 45 days and goes off sale 1/30/2021 or when supplies run out. After that, the title will live on in the hi-res digital format.

This new edition includes three programs. The first two are the same as previously released: the original LP presentation as Goldsmith had initially presented his score, plus a second disc featuring the complete score, retaining all of Goldsmith's assemblies from the LP presentation. The third disc features the entire, unassembled score in film order. This allows the listeners to hear openings and closings of many tracks previously unheard.

The film may be forgotten, but what lives on is Jerry Goldsmith's dynamic, colorful and percussive score. The score features an augmented percussion section, including snares, bass drum, cymbals, timpani, triangle, xylophone, woodblocks, boo bams, and many others. At the time of the film's release, Goldsmith had artfully assembled a 38-minute album capturing the highlights and delivering an irresistible listening experience. Intrada has since expanded the score to feature all of Goldsmith's powerful and colorful score.

The 1982 epic chronicles the massive-force invasion of Southern Korea led by General Douglas MacArthur. The film had all the right ingredients: a cast that included Ben Gazzara, Jacqueline Bisset, and none other than Sir Laurence Olivier in the role of MacArthur; James Bond veteran director Terence Young at the helm; and a world-class composer – the unequaled Jerry Goldsmith, who gave the film its spirit. Nonetheless, the production was plagued with both natural and man-made troubles, resulting in a film that cost over $44M, was cut from its original 140-minute length to 105 minutes when it went into "wide" release in September 1982, closed relatively quickly, and fell into obscurity.

INTRADA ISC 452
Retail Price: $29.99
Bar Code: 720258545206
Starts shipping week of 12/21.
For track listing and sound samples, please visit http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12264/.f

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8627

Jerry Goldsmith
Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume ISC 462
Film Date: 1982
Album Date: 2020
Time: 154:03
Tracks: 67
Price: $29.99

All newly-remastered and presented in 24bit 96kHz hi-res audio for the digital marketplace!

This CD release will only be available for 45 days and goes off sale Jan 30 2021 or when supplies run out.

The 24-bit, 96kHz hi-res digital format is coming soon to wherever digital music is sold!

All newly-remastered and presented in 24bit 96kHz hi-res audio for the digital marketplace! This 3-CD presentation of Jerry Goldsmith’s dynamic and exciting score for Inchon includes both previously available discs that offered the original 38-minute 1982 soundtrack album as edited and assembled by Goldsmith with recording session engineer Len Engel and Intrada’s earlier complete program which expanded the release, retaining the editorial assemblies made for Intrada by both composer and engineer back in 1988. A subsequent 2006 issue of the popular best-seller re-sequenced the complete score into an approximation of the picture chronology albeit retaining Goldsmith’s musically creative assemblies and was also later re-pressed. 

Now - finally - Intrada has returned to the original 1” recording session rolls made by Engel at the Forum Studios in Italy and remastered the audio for the first time in hi-res format. By returning to the sessions, Intrada was also for the first time able to present the entire score in chronological sequence with every cue playing complete without the creative assemblies as a 3rd CD for listeners desiring the opportunity to hear the beginnings and endings of cues that previously were edited to allow for creative assemblies which often were not in actual chronological sequence. While the same music, this version is quite a different experience which not only remains faithful to Goldsmith’s actual picture sequence but does offer some precious few bars previously edited or crossfaded into otherwise unrelated cues. So three different presentations of this magnificent score, each with its own merits! 

The film itself, chronicling events surrounding the Korean war, had a much-troubled production history that spanned two years, saw the death of cast member David Janssen and ultimately led to the editing of more than a half hour of footage prior to its general release. Happily Goldsmith scored the longer version and all of his music survived in beautiful condition. Other film production credits were top drawer, including Terence Young (of James Bond fame) at the helm and stars Laurence Olivier, Jacqueline Bisset, Ben Gazzara, Toshiro Mifune and Richard Rountree in the cast. 

Goldsmith’s “Main Title” opens in aggressive, declamatory fashion, an abundance of propulsive energy and jagged rhythm that puts it in a very small family of Goldsmith title music that includes Night Crossing, Capricorn One, Face Of A Fugitive and The Salamander. The score is thematically rich with ideas for not only the conflict, but the locale and specific characters (Lim’s theme is an emotional highlight) as well. A sparingly used love theme and powerful action material for the tank sequences are major assets! Len Engel engineers, Arthur Morton orchestrates, Jerry Goldsmith composes, conducts. 3-CD set available until January 30, 2021 or until quantities run out. After that this thrilling score will live on in the high-res digital format!

TRACK LIST

CD 1 1982 Soundtrack Album
01. Main Title (2:22)
02. Resignation (2:10)
03. The Bridge (3:30)
04. The Church (3:57)
05. The Mines (4:19)
06. Task Force (3:06)
07. Medley (2:13)
08. Love Theme (3:00)
09. The Tanks (3:41)
10. Lim’s Death (3:12)
11. The Trucks (3:00)
12. Inchon Theme (3:21)
Total Time: 38:34

CD 2 2006 Score Assembly
01. Prologue And Main Title (3:51)
02. The Bridge (3:34)
03. The 38th Parallel (1:17)
04. Medley (2:13)
05. Love Theme (Album Version) (3:00)
06. The Aftermath (0:52)
07. The Tanks (3:41)
08. A Change Of Course (1:14)
09. The Church (2:27)
10. MacArthur’s Arrival (0:52)
11. The Harbor (1:16)
12. The Trucks (2:55)
13. Corpses (1:19)
14. The Children (0:49)
15. The Apology (2:40)
16. The Lighthouse (2:31)
17. The Clock Watcher (0:38)
18. The Mines (5:07)
19. Resignation (2:13)
20. The Landing (1:20)
21. Lim’s Death (2:09)
22. The Scroll (2:19)
23. Task Force (3:06)
24. Inchon Theme (3:21)
Total Time: 55:46

CD 3 Complete Score In Sequence
01. Prologue (1:38)
02. Main Title (2:22)
03. The Bridge/Tanks Arrive (3:34)
04. The 38th Parallel (1:17)
05. MacArthur (0:57)
06. The Aftermath (0:52)
07. The Tragedy (1:11)
08. A Change Of Course (1:14)
09. The Church (2:27)
10. MacArthur’s Arrival (0:52)
11. The Harbor (1:16)
12. The Tanks (2:42)
13. The Trucks (2:55)
14. Lim And The Children (1:28)
15. Corpses (1:19)
16. The Pledge (0:37)
17. The Children (0:49)
18. The Apology (2:40)
19. The Clock Watcher (0:38)
20. The Lighthouse (2:31)
21. The Ships (2:23)
22. The Mines (4:25)
23. Resignation (2:13)
24. The Landing (1:20)
25. Lim’s Death (1:40)
26. The Scroll (2:19)
27. Task Force (1:20)
28. Inchon Theme (3:21)
Score Time: 53:26

THE EXTRAS
29. The Children (Alternate) (0:46)
30. The Ships (Alternate) (2:24)
31. Love Theme (Album Version) (3:00)
Extras Time: 6:07

Total Time: 59:43

Inchon_isc452_1600a.jpg

Inchon_isc452_600c.jpg

I had the OST once. Didn't care much for the score, I'm afraid. But it's Goldsmith, and it's an expansion, so it will sell bucketloads, no doubt.

The first disc is great - the original OST LP program Goldsmith made at the time.  Wonderful!

The third disc is great - the complete score sourced from a newly found 1st gen element, every cue in its own track, and even some alternates.  Fantastic!

The second disc... I don't really see the merit of including this.  It's just the complete score again, but with various cues combined with crossfades and therefore not-quite-chronological.  If someone was proud of some particular crossfades, why not just include those assemblies as bonus tracks after the OST program?

Regardless, $30 is completely fair for the OST LP program and the complete score program, so throwing in a bonus disc I'll never listen to is fine by me!  I ordered this along with other recent Intradas I hadn't picked up yet.  Overall, they've had a great year!

I think because it was the expanded program as Goldsmith himself preferred it? And since it was on the last two editions, I guess Intrada decided to include it in case some people were inclined to complain about it being left off. “Oh the new split-up version sounds bitty, a collection of cues...the composer-approved expanded program plays much better!” You know, Bruce types ;) 

This way there are three options, all available digitally in hi res forever, and on CD for those who want it for 45 days.

Yavar

But the expanded program Goldsmith preferred was the 1988 20 track program (which was very non-chronological), not the 2006/2013 24 track program (which takes that and makes it mostly chronological)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

But the expanded program Goldsmith preferred was the 1988 20 track program (which was very non-chronological), not the 2006/2013 24 track program (which takes that and makes it mostly chronological)

Good point. It’s confusing but this score actually has had four different presentations now, all released by Intrada (though the 38 minute original album was only re-created, not designed by them). In retrospect since the third disc is truly complete and chronological now, the second disc didn’t need to even try and approximate a chronological program...so it could have been a good opportunity to present their original 1988 expanded program *and* sequencing (developed with Jerry himself) in improved sound on this apparently final edition.

But I’m not complaining since I think Disc 3 is the one for me anyway.

Yavar

The relevant question now is how big the sound improvement is. And considering the short availability, it looks like it's a rather urgent question.

Also, I think it would be fair if they offered the digital high res version for free, or at least for a significant discount, to those who buy the physical release.

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Good point. It’s confusing but this score actually has had four different presentations now, all released by Intrada (though the 38 minute original album was only re-created, not designed by them). In retrospect since the third disc is truly complete and chronological now, the second disc didn’t need to even try and approximate a chronological program...so it could have been a good opportunity to present their original 1988 expanded program *and* sequencing (developed with Jerry himself) in improved sound on this apparently final edition.

Yes, exactly, that I would understand.  The OST, Jerry's preferred 1988 arrangement of the complete score, and the fully complete & chronological score with no crossfades.  Smart! 

I don't understand including the 2006/2013 program, which is Jerry's 1988 program partially re-broken-up and re-arranged to be mostly chronological.

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

But what about wine cellar's dynamic range?

Karol

I'm simply over re-purchasing the same music again and again. First time round, it's so urgent to buy it because it's an extremely limited pressing and vanishes in 48 hours, then a few years later, we get a longer lasting MAF, and now, yet again "oh look! We found better tapes this time!"

Btw, why is Intrada's latest Rambo III so damn loud? I prefer the older version.

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

There is a knob on your amplifier that says " volume".

Turn it to your left. 😎

That's the problem. It should be mastered at a level that you want to turn it up and hear the punch of the instruments. Instead, it's mastered in a way that makes you want to turn it down because it causes ear fatigue and can potentially harm the voice coils of your speakers. So many of these new releases are ruined because of this malpractice.

Bummer.

I've always found Intrada releases to be the best sounding in the industry.

5 hours ago, The Big Man said:

I'm simply over re-purchasing the same music again and again.

You mean you're not going to buy GBU for the FOURTH TIME?

6 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Bummer.

I've always found Intrada releases to be the best sounding in the industry.

You mean you're not going to buy GBU for the FOURTH TIME?

Not everything they release has awful mastering like that. Their 2009 release of BTTF sounds great, as does Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Rambo: First Blood Part II, Uncommon Valor, Wolfen, etc. But it's releases like Rambo III and The Mummy Returns that make me wary.

21 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Not everything they release has awful mastering ...But it's releases like Rambo III and The Mummy Returns that make me wary.

Why  the heck are you buying those second rate scores in the first place?!😳😊

5 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Only Nichon could to to China.

That proves you are American!

No Aussie would know that reference😁

12 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

12 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

9 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I dated an American woman back in 2017 and she was bewildered by how much I knew of the internal operations of US civics. Helps that I hold a Master of US Studies, I guess.

2 hours ago, The Big Man said:

That's the problem. It should be mastered at a level that you want to turn it up and hear the punch of the instruments. Instead, it's mastered in a way that makes you want to turn it down because it causes ear fatigue and can potentially harm the voice coils of your speakers. So many of these new releases are ruined because of this malpractice.

Yep. Sounds fine when I'm cranking it on the freeway though. 

Apparently this film has never been released on home video, but there's a recording from a pan&scan TV airing on youtube

5 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Yep. Sounds fine when I'm cranking it on the freeway though. 

Yeah that's like how I was listening to Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds in the car yesterday. It was the crappy 2005 remaster, compressed as fuck, but sounds fine while commuting, I guess.

25 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

I dated an American woman back in 2017 and she was bewildered by how much I knew of the internal operations of US civics. Helps that I hold a Master of US Studies, I guess.

I often wrote that Thor spoke better English than 95 percent of Americans.

I might add you know more about US history than 95 percent of Americans!

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Apparently this film has never been released on home video, but there's a recording from a pan&scan TV airing on youtube

Amazing that film most people never saw still has a fan base for the score!

23 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Amazing that film most people never saw still has a fan base for the score!

That's not even remotely amazing to me, happens all the time.

I own countless scores to movies I've never seen and games I've never played

20 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

I guess this will have to do...

20201216_144437.jpg

20201216_144454.jpg

You wrap your CDs in plastic bags?!😳

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

You and Thor!

Sorry mate but I think you're the odd one of if you feel that liking a film is a requirement for liking a score

13 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

You wrap your CDs in plastic bags?!😳

It's an LP condom!

34 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's not even remotely amazing to me, happens all the time.

Inchon and Lionheart are prime candidates for this phenomenon. Inchon has never had a home video release, and Lionheart had such a limited theatrical release, home video releases are extremely scarce, and I don't remember it ever airing on the telly. Even when you search for info on the movie on YouTube, you mostly get videos about the score, suggesting the score has gathered a stronger following than the film itself over the years.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Sorry mate but I think you're the odd one of if you feel that liking a film is a requirement for liking a score

Not liking a film, seeing a film.

I have hundreds of scores and I've seen all but a handful.

I just watched , more like slept thru, the awful BENEATH THE 12MILE REEF because I've loved the music for decades.

But never saw the film, until now!

I can't think of many popular scores where most folks have never seen the film. Some, not many.

LIONHEART is a good example

Also LEGEND. I've been a fan since the Eighties.

But the film, with theJG score wasn't released until the DVD circa 2000.,

Having just rewatched Inchon today, I don’t recommend it. :) Jerry’s score is kinda butchered in the film and destroyed in the mix by explosions and gunfire. The album is the place to appreciate it. Goldsmith Odyssey Soundtrack Spotlight coming soon for those who are unfamiliar or on the fence...

Yavar