Jerry Goldsmith's INCHON (1981) - 2020 Intrada 3-CD

Jay

I've always wondered how that happened. Did they have a mike too close to headphones that had the click track? I'm pretty sure I've heard it on a few other scores as well, though I can't recall which ones.

Yea great question, who knows.  It's not weird to me that something like that could happen and ruin a take, but it's weird to me that no one noticed and it's in all the master recordings.  Or at least what we've heard on the two commercial albums and the leaks -- who knows if its on the 1st gen master or not.  Now that I think about it, I wonder if its in the actual film or not....

Today is the last day you can order the physical CD edition

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12264/.f

Still no word on when the digital download edition is dropping.  It's not on qobuz yet

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/label/intrada-2/download-streaming-albums/143772

On 1/24/2021 at 11:28 PM, Brundlefly said:

The sound of the new set is considerably better on some tracks, to be precise some awful distortions and the dominant hiss could be removed. Besides the weird resonance of the much too small room, where the recording took place, was successfully diminished. It does sound like a professional studio recording now.

Well, there's another decisive point to mar my first impression: The new release sounds pretty inconsistent at times. Sometimes it is the hall and other times it is the volume of the different tracks. That was not the case on the 2013 release.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 6:13 PM, Jay said:

But curiously reverted one track that previously had music restored for the 1988 edition back to its OST edit that deleted that music

2006 7 The Tanks = OST 9 The Tanks = cue12 The Tanks [with 13 seconds removed] + cue7 The Tragedy

The Tanks has the exact same lengh on the 2013 release and on the 2020 release. There is no missing music, just the crossfade might be different from the 1988 release.

The OST track called "The Tanks" combined two cues together, and edited music out of the middle of the second cue in the track

• 0:00-1:01 = The Tragedy
  • 1:01-end = The Tanks, with 13 seconds edited out out at 2:12

The 1988 Intrada CD combined the same two cues together, but restored the music previously edited out of The Tanks

• 1:01-end = The Tanks, no edits (IE, there's music from 2:12-2:25 here that wasn't on the OST)

The 2006 / 2013 Intrada edition reverted to the OST edit

• 1:01-end = The Tanks, with 13 seconds edited out out at 2:12

The new 2020 program finally presents for the first time "The Tanks" and "The Tragedy" each in their own track.

• Disc 3 Track 7 = The Tragedy (1:11)
  • Disc 3 Track 12 = The Tanks (2:42)

The google doc shows this too

On 12/16/2020 at 9:46 AM, Jay said:

1 hour ago, Jay said:

That's incorrect.

The OST track called "The Tanks" combined two cues together, and edited music out of the middle of the first cue in the track

• 0:00-2:32 = The Tanks, with 13 seconds edited out out at 2:12
  • 2:23-end = The Tragedy

The 1988 Intrada CD combined the same two cues together, but restored the music previously edited out of The Tanks

• 0:00-2:45 = The Tanks, no edits
  • 2:45-end = The Tragedy

The 2006 / 2013 Intrada edition reverted to the OST edit

• 0:00-2:32 = The Tanks, with 13 seconds edited out out at 2:12
  • 2:23-end = The Tragedy

The new 2020 program finally presents for the first time "The Tanks" and "The Tragedy" each in their own track.

• Disc 3 Track 7 = The Tragedy (1:11)
  • Disc 3 Track 12 = The Tanks (2:42)

Nope, you're incorrect. All I can safely claim is that there is no difference between the OST, the 2006/2013 and the 2020 version. The spot you're talking about is exactly the same on each release. Are you sure there was ever anything missing? Show me the 1988 version if you can.

Oh, by the way, I never noticed the one very big flaw which is that The Tragedy is playing first and segues into The Tanks and not the other way round. I don't know, where you got that information from, but it's simply not right.

The Tanks on disc 3 is a full minute shorter than the OST/2006 edition.  2:42 instead of 3:41.  

Just look at Intrada's site to confirm

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12264/.f

Maybe you have a bad rip?

I think you're referring to this:

"By returning to the sessions, Intrada was also for the first time able to present the entire score in chronological sequence with every cue playing complete without the creative assemblies as a 3rd CD for listeners desiring the opportunity to hear the beginnings and endings of cues that previously were edited to allow for creative assemblies which often were not in actual chronological sequence. While the same music, this version is quite a different experience which not only remains faithful to Goldsmith’s actual picture sequence but does offer some precious few bars previously edited or crossfaded into otherwise unrelated cues."

No confirmation that The Tanks had unreleased material.

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Tanks on disc 3 is a full minute shorter than the OST/2006 edition.  2:42 instead of 3:41.

Yes, that's correct:

• The Tragedy is 1:13 long
  • The Tanks is 2:43 long

The implication is that those two cues combined would have to have a running time of approximately 4 minutes. However:

• On the combined track called The Tanks the cue called The Tanks starts at 1:01, which means there is a huge overlap between the two cues. (1:01 + 2:43 = approx. 3:41)

There is no material missing on the 2006/2013 version. Which means, if it actually turns out that there is material missing, then it's missing on the 2020 version too.

This is what I'm talking about:

Here's a bit of The Tanks from the OST / 2006 CD / 2013 CD / Disc 2

Here's a bit of The Tanks from the 1988 CD

The bit from 0:13-0:25 in the 1988 CD version isn't in the OST / 2006 / 2013 / Disc 2 version.

I guess it's possible it's an insert, and not a bit edited out of the cue for the OST.  I have no idea!

10 hours ago, Jay said:

I guess it's possible that's an insert, and not a bit edited out of the cue for the OST.  I have no idea!

That might be it. You can hear the strings getting slightly hissier, when the 13 seconds start. I mean, they'd never purposefully cut out a section from their complete score program, would they?

Hey, for once I had a piece of information that Jay couldn't provide, so that had to be proclaimed in big fashion.

Musically, the insert itself is as substantial as the rest of the previously unreleased music from this set. Which means, not at all.

On 1/27/2021 at 8:38 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

I've always wondered how that happened. Did they have a mike too close to headphones that had the click track? I'm pretty sure I've heard it on a few other scores as well, though I can't recall which ones.

Click bleed is quite common. It's a delicate balance - the clicks need to be loud enough for the orchestra to hear and follow, but not too loud that they can be heard in the room (and subsequently be picked up by the microphones).

6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Okay, that's weird, because Intrada failed to include that bit on the 2020 as well. Which means that the 3CD set is still not complete.

Maybe that bit is something Jerry put in there that's actually tracked in from some other cue?

It doesn't seem likely that Intrada would have accidentally grabbed an edited track for disc 3 when everything else seems to be straight from the new source with no edits.

Maybe it's a later insert and they just chose not to include it, forgetting it was already released in 1988?

• 1 month later...

@Jay nope! You must have missed the latest from Roger in the FSM Inchon thread, less than a month ago...

I really was exited for this, but the virtual release of Inchon still hasn't shown.

What's up?

The distributor is confused about three programs that contain the same cues. They come from a world that thinks in terms of individual tracks, not entire programs as a listening experience. So going through hoops to explain that yes, the Main Title on disc 1 and disc 3 are the same track and it needs to be loaded twice...

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=3&threadID=142438&archive=0

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...

Due to each Intrada release having their individual sonic merits, I ended up using a combination of the 2006 and the 2020 master. That slight improvement of some tracks was certainly not worth the price, but after all I have bought the new edition, so why refuse to use it...

On 2/13/2021 at 10:57 AM, publicist said:

I'm in complete disbelief that people get hung up on such irrelevancies for a score that isn't even Top 50 JG.

Does it really not stand a chance, though? Just having this one awful recording, it certainly doesn't come close to a Top 50 ranking regarding listening pleasure, however, I think opinions could radically change, if it got a desperately needed re-recording. (Just do it Tadlow, along with Lionheart!)

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Due to each Intrada release having their individual sonic merits, I ended up using a combination of the 2006 and the 2020 master. That slight improvement of some tracks was certainly not worth the price, but after all I have bought the new edition, so why refuse to use it...

Does it really not stand a chance, though? Just having this one awful recording, it certainly doesn't come close to a Top 50 ranking regarding listening pleasure, however, I think opinions could radically change, if it got a desperately needed re-recording. (Just do it Tadlow, along with Lionheart!)

Really, this score needs a Tadlow love. But hey, at least we have a small selection of cues on their The Blue Max album. 

Karol

• 10 months later...
56 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Anyone else thinks that this is Goldsmiths most Morricone-ish soundtrack, especially the Love Theme?

As a matter of fact, yes, I've been thinking that as well.