2020 JWFan Composition Competition: Poll

Jurassic Shark

2020 JWFan Composition Competition: Poll  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite piece? Multiple choices are allowed.

• Piano piece by Bounty95
    • JWFan - Composing Competition 1 by GerateWohl
    • La belle adlib d'un homme inexpérimenté by Manakin Skywalker
    • JWFAN Piece by KK
    • Celeste tune by Mr. Josh
    • Presto by Glóin in the Dark
    • JWFanfare by Jurassic Shark
    • Torture For Oboe and NOrchestra by Gkgyver
    • Theme for Trumpet by SteveMc
    • Clarinet melody by Spider-Fal

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/12/20 at 10:59 PM

On 12/28/2020 at 4:49 PM, GerateWohl said:

Alea iacta est - for the competition. I know.

And congratulations to who ever will be the winner.

Anyway, I revised my composition a little bit.

https://soundcloud.com/user-496019491/jwfan-composing-competition-revised/s-zQgpXtNly2f

I still can't play it properly, but I like the piece better this way.

@Jurassic Shark This was really so much fun. Thanks to you, I might have a new hobby now. According to my skill level and my velocity and my sparetime I might be able write about 10 minutes of music per year.

Made it onto my list of new year's resolutions.

Your old version was replaced by the revised version in the poll.

That's a nice idea for a competition! I would've chimed in with something less than listenable if I had known about it earlier :)

By the way, if anyone is up for some more composing challenges, here is one I saw just now, announced by Christopher Tin: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5d5r5wXfKQ

I listened to large portions of all the pieces. First of all, congratulations to all the contestants.

But, I honestly can't vote, even if the voters were hidden.

I once turned down a judge position in a film score competition, for the very same reason.

I'm sorry...:(

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, it's not like I tried to hide it. ;)

I know, it's mostly my own fault for not spending enough time at JWFan. I don't look through all the forums that I should.

18 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I listened to large portions of all the pieces. First of all, congratulations to all the contestants.

But, I honestly can't vote, even if the voters were hidden.

I once turned down a judge position in a film score competition, for the very same reason.

I'm sorry...:(

Thanks for listening. :) Please note that multiple choices are allowed, in case you have difficulties deciding. 

17 minutes ago, Biodome said:

I know, it's mostly my own fault for not spending enough time at JWFan. I don't look through all the forums that I should.

I'd love to hear something you've composed.

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'd love to hear something you've composed.

I haven't composed anything concrete yet, so I don't have anything to show. Getting into music composition, even if at an amateur level, is one of my New Year's resolutions, though. I have some musical ideas written down, so I hope to develop them within the coming months.

56 minutes ago, Biodome said:

By the way, if anyone is up for some more composing challenges, here is one I saw just now, announced by Christopher Tin: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5d5r5wXfKQ

I just learned that this is the Civilization VI main theme. Fun piece! But I guess you'd have to be a harmony wizard in order to have a chance in the composing challenge.

1 minute ago, Biodome said:

I haven't composed anything concrete yet, so I don't have anything to show. Getting into music composition, even if at an amateur level, is one of my New Year's resolutions, though. I have some musical ideas written down, so I hope to develop them within the coming months.

Exciting!

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I just learned that this is the Civilization VI main theme. Fun piece!

Yeah, Civilization brought me to Christopher Tin. He also wrote Baba Yetu, if you've heard of that piece.

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But I guess you'd have to be a harmony wizard in order to have a chance in the composing challenge.

A knowledge of harmony definitely helps, but there are a lot of chord / key signature tables online to help you out if you don't have that stuff memorized. I am no wizard, so my plan is to just try out some semi-random chords, guided by those tables, and see what sounds good, and what kind of chord progressions I can create from it.

The only issue is that he wants the submissions done before the 10th of January, so I doubt I'll have enough time.

17 minutes ago, Biodome said:

The only issue is that he wants the submissions done before the 10th of January, so I doubt I'll have enough time.

And you'll have to make a video of it, but that's probably easy with a notation software like Sibelius.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

And you'll have to make a video of it, but that's probably easy with a notation software like Sibelius.

The video itself is probably the easiest part. I've already searched for the hashtag, and it seems that people either film themselves performing the piece, or just put up some random background for the music. Screencapping Sibelius or whatever program you use is also an option, of course. The visual element isn't too important, I think.

I just listened once more to my recording and must say, I really apreciate a lot that the seven voters for my track managed to discover the structure and composition within it. I didn't really make it easy for the listener. 

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I just listened once more to my recording and must say, I really apreciate a lot that the seven voters for my track managed to discover the structure and composition within it. I didn't really make it easy for the listener. 

It's a beautiful piece, but I did have to listen a few times with concentration in order to "get" it.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

I see he released a new album in 2020. Have you heard it?

Yeah, I have the CD, it's pretty good. I had made a thread on the Kickstarter campaign, actually: 

Congrats to @gkgyver for winning the general competition with his beautiful oboe piece!

Congrats to @gkgyver and @GerateWohl for winning the most votes from contestants.

Bravo! :ola:

48 minutes ago, Biodome said:

Congrats to @gkgyver! I feel like that piece could be part of a larger concerto. It made me think of The Five Sacred Trees.

It reminded me first of the beginning of "Le Sacre du Printemps".

Just now, gkgyver said:

Deliberate substance will win over hot-headed style. 

Always. 

Peace. 

That is why we all lost.