Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, Jon Batiste - SOUL (2020)

Under-Terrestrial

I think it's well desserved (at least more than their previous win for The Social Network). Soul is clearly the best soundtrack of 2020 and the only one which could or should have won. It's maybe not the best of all times but all year can't be as good and rich as 1982 or 2005...

I don't know why, but this movie and Inside Out don't work particularly well for me at all. The 'world' that those movies create gets praise for being inventive, which I can't understand. Feels like something out of a school project with good animation put over the top. And while the animation itself is good, the character designs in Pixar movies lately are really starting to bore me. 

That said, both pretty good scores, and Soul deserves awards despite the fact that I was rooting for Minari this season. 

4 hours ago, Jules said:

I don't know why, but this movie and Inside Out don't work particularly well for me at all. The 'world' that those movies create gets praise for being inventive, which I can't understand. Feels like something out of a school project with good animation put over the top. And while the animation itself is good, the character designs in Pixar movies lately are really starting to bore me. 

"School project", eh? Ouch. Ol' Picasso, after which the prelife characters are molded, is turning in his grave.

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

"School project", eh? Ouch. Ol' Picasso, after which the prelife characters are molded, is turning in his grave.

Okay I will concede that scene is genuinely awesome. 

I’m aware

Neither of them are bad imo, but for me Pixar still hasn’t really regained their magic. The worlds of Ratatouille/Incredibles/Toy Story/Nemo feel less like a brainstorming session than those two do, if that makes sense.  

I love all those ( except NEMO).

IM glad to see them do more adult oriented films.

They remind me of Miyazaki who is idolized by the founders of PIXAR.

DISNEY is more than capable of producing quality films aimed at a young audience.

I welcome many approaches to the art form.

I’m really looking forward to Luca actually. And I did forget that I loved Coco. Falling into the trap of being black and white though, I enjoy all Pixar movies, pretty much without exception. Even Cars 2 gets a bad rap. 

My top 5 Pixar movies:

1. TOY STORY 1-3 (OK, a bit of cheat, but there you go)

2. WALL-E

3. SOUL

4. UP

5. RATATOUILLE

It pains me that there are two Giacchino-scored films there, but the films' quality weigh up for it.

One thing that is exceptional for Pixar that they are usually quite good with sequels.

Apart from Toy Story the sequels of Monster Inc. Finding Nemo and Incredibles are brillant.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

My top 5 Pixar movies:

1. TOY STORY 1-3 (OK, a bit of cheat, but there you go)

2. WALL-E

3. SOUL

4. UP

5. RATATOUILLE

Interesting. Apart from WALL-E none of those is in my personal top 5.

My top 5 list:

1. Monster Inc.

2. Insight Out

3. The Incredibles

4. Wall-E

5. Coco

Monster Inc. is really my all time favourite. But I remember from another thread here in the forum on this subject, that nobody else seems to share my admiration for this movie.

58 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Monster Inc. is really my all time favourite. But I remember from another thread here in the forum on this subject, that nobody else seems to share my admiration for this movie.

It's a good movie. Just not top 5 material for me.

Pixar is too hard to rank I can’t. Nemo wins though, childhood nostalgia hits too hard. 

And the way the water looks and sounds in that movie is so peaceful, I want to live there.   

4 hours ago, Jules said:

Pixar is too hard to rank I can’t. Nemo wins though, childhood nostalgia hits too hard. 

And the way the water looks and sounds in that movie is so peaceful, I want to live there.   

It would have been so much better without the incessant banter😒.

Visually superb, no doubt.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The score just won ANOTHER award:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/04/16/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-jon-batiste-win-annie-award-for-soul/

It'll give Joker a run for its money as the most award winning score of the century.

I think there's a few of these sweepers - 

Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

Up (2009)

The Artist (2011)

The Hateful Eight (2015)

La La Land (2016)

The Shape of Water (2017)

Joker (2019)

Soul (2020)

All of these 8 races were completely and totally uncontested and these scores won literally everything there was to win. And each of them had a "narrative" built in which helped them. 

So 8 out of last 13 races (over 60% of the times) had ZERO competition. 

But that is true of most categories in most years.

On 4/13/2021 at 12:24 PM, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I think it's well desserved (at least more than their previous win for The Social Network). Soul is clearly the best soundtrack of 2020 and the only one which could or should have won. It's maybe not the best of all times but all year can't be as good and rich as 1982 or 2005...

Holy shit.

You think???

On 4/15/2021 at 12:40 AM, Jules said:

I’m aware

Neither of them are bad imo, but for me Pixar still hasn’t really regained their magic. The worlds of Ratatouille/Incredibles/Toy Story/Nemo feel less like a brainstorming session than those two do, if that makes sense.  

I don't get the love for Finding Nemo. The whole movie has a 10 mins plotline fluffed up by endless comedy routines.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 1:31 PM, Edmilson said:

And yet another award for Soul:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/05/17/2021-ascap-screen-music-awards-winners-announced/

Soul vs Joker: which one is the score with most awards?

About equal I would say at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

CC expectedly has trashed the score. He says what I said - Thomas Newman should have written the score and that the film does not enhance the picture in any way and is one of the poorest in Pixar's history.

https://www.filmtracks.com/titles/soul.html

Edit: He also endorses my suggestion that Batiste should not have been eligible for the Academy Award because his contributions do not amount to a "score".

• 3 months later...

Jazz Selections from Pixar’s ‘Soul’ Released

Walt Disney Records has released a new soundtrack album for Pixar’s animated feature Soul. The album features eight jazz selections from and inspired by the film by Jon Batiste who received his first Academy Award this year for his work on the movie. Five of the tracks included on the record have previously only been released as part of the vinyl jazz album released last December. The soundtrack is now available to stream/download on Amazon and other digital music services. The original soundtrack, which also includes the original score by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, as well as another vinyl edition featuring the composers’ score have previously been released at the time of the film’s release. Soul is directed by Pete Docter and features the voice talent of Ahmir Questlove Thompson, Daveed Diggs, Phylicia Rashad, Tina Fey and Jamie Foxx. The animated film premiered on Christmas Day of last year on Disney+ and is now also available to purchase on VOD, Blu-ray and DVD.

Here’s the track list of the album:

1. The Initial Pursuit (1:20)
2. Danceland (3:30)
3. Epistrophy (3:38)
4. I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart (2:52)
5. Blue Rondo a la Turk (1:02)
6. Bigger Than Us (From “Soul”) (1:51)
7. Born to Play (From “Soul”) (2:00)
8. Born to Play Reprise (From “Soul”) (0:50)

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/09/24/jazz-selections-from-pixars-soul-released/

http://filmmusicreporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/va-80.jpg