Rank the Disney-era Star Wars productions!

Jay

I know they've done some cartoon stuff too, and the theme park, etc, but I'm talking about ranking the 7 major live action productions:

The Force Awakens (2015)

Rogue One (2016)

The Last Jedi (2017)

Solo (2018)

The Mandalorian Season 1 (2019)

The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

The Mandalorian Season 2 (2020)

So, please post your ranking, and if you haven't seen all seven of the productions, please rank only the ones you have seen, and just leave the rest off your list.

Oh, and if you haven't finished Mando season 2 yet, please wait until doing so before thinking about your rankings!

In a few weeks I'll compile everyone's rankings and we'll see what JWFan thinks of the first 5 years of Disney Star Wars!

My ranking

1 The Mandalorian Season 1

2 The Mandalorian Season 2

3 Solo

4 The Force Awakens

5 Rogue One

6 The Last Jedi

7 The Rise of Skywalker

But frankly for me, only The Mandalorian is anything I'd want to watch again in the future.

The cast of the sequel trilogy is great and they have some cool moments but the story is so meaningless and scatterbrained I just don't care at all about them

The Force Awakens: Deriviative, but great fun. **** out of *****

The Last Jedi: tries to have its cake and eat it, but still good. ***1/2

Rogue One: Haven't seen it in a while. From memory, there was a lot of wheelspinning in it, but it was fun enough. Great visuals. ***1/2

The Rise of Skywalker: Second only to Attack of the Clones in awfulness, with only a scarce few moments of excitement for its credit. Soapy, morally bankrupt and insufferably frenetic. **

There aren't any ties: they're arranged from best/favourite to worst/least favourite, regardless of the ratings.

I think its important to give a sense of just how much I like or dislike each, and why. You can see they're all in the same ballpark...and then came The Rise of Skywalker...

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

But TROS is at the bottom with Solo right above

I've seen little bits and pieces of Solo: not enough to rank it but the impression was of a bland but inoffensive, frivolous movie; which should put it a fair bit higher than The Rise of Skywalker. A wretched film.

5 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

There aren't any ties: they're arranged from best/favourite to worst/least favourite, regardless of the ratings.

Oh woops I didn't realize they were in ranked order, my bad!

In my opinion, if you liked the original Star Wars movies but not the prequels or sequels, The Mandalorian is the antedote that will make you like Star Wars again - or at the least, something you'll just enjoy watching every week while continuing to happily ignore everything else Star Wars

1. THE FORCE AWAKENS

2. Solo: A Star Wars Story

3. The Mandalorian - Season 2

4. Rogue One

5. The Mandalorian - Season 1

6. The Last Jedi

7. The Rise Of Skywalker

I will defend the virtues of SOLO untill the day I die!

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

In my opinion, if you liked the original Star Wars movies but not the prequels or sequels, The Mandalorian is the antedote that will make you like Star Wars again - or at the least, something you'll just enjoy watching every week while continuing to happily ignore everything else Star Wars

I've seen clips and I believe you might be right.  I actually did really like TFA and TLJ, I just can't keep up with all of it.

I've enjoyed both seasons immensely without giving a crap about whatever cartoon shows they were dropping occasional references to

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Mandalorian is the antedote that will make you like Star Wars again

Really?

Haven't seen a frame of that.

That baby Yoda thing makes it seem like more frivolous, cutesy kiddie shite.

Yea, I was surprised too.  It wasn't anything like I was expecting.

It really is more akin to the old movies than anything else from the franchise in the past 35 years.  Give it a shot!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Which Mando season do you prefer over the other?

Season 1 I guess. Season 3 2 is still too fresh but I didn’t really have any hopes going into this show after the ST and season 1 blew me away. It’s probably more consistent than even if it does have the series’ low point (Not Han Solo on Tatooine)

last Jedi

force awakens

rogue one

solo

rise of skywalker

Can’t imagine watching any of these ever again. I used to think I loved force awakens. Put it on a flight, couldn’t finish it. It’s pretty boring. They are all boring.

Last Jedi on top simply for its novelty. It’s definitely trying to change things up a little bit.

On the other hand - all 5 scores I like.

1. The Force Awakens

2. The Last Jedi

3. The Mandalorian Season Two

4. The Mandalorian Season One

5. The Rise of Skywalker

6. Solo

7. Rogue One

8 hours ago, Jay said:

In my opinion, if you liked the original Star Wars movies but not the prequels or sequels, The Mandalorian is the antedote that will make you like Star Wars again...

My enjoyment of the Mandalorian is because of the reverence towards the Prequels and both Clone Wars and Rebels.

Probably my ranking is not going to be much popular but

The ones I feel they are Star Wars:

1- The Last Jedi

2- The Force Awakens

3- Solo

The ones I don't care much (I could swap the order in some of them):

4-The Mandalorian Season 1

5- The Rise of Skywalker

6- Rogue One

7- The Mandalorian Season 2

That's easy. The movies simply got worse with every new one. When The Force Awakens came out, I did not expect that this would be the highlight. Rogue One second best and so on. Mando does not work without all the other stuff. I would rank the two animated Disney series over Mando. 

1. Clone Wars final season

2. Resistance

3. Mando 1

4. Mando 2

Probably all four behindert Rogue One and above The Last Jedi.

My view on the soundtracks is different.

The Williams scores are top in order of appearance, then Solo, then Rogue (here I still don't like the James Bond vibe in Jyn's theme and the exzessive use of Giacchino's imperial march. Apart from that it's brillant). I am no fan of the Mando score at all.

If not Darth Maul would have apeared at the end of Solo I would have probably ranked it over The Last Jedi.

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

If not Darth Maul would have apeared at the end of Solo I would have probably ranked it over The Last Jedi.

Why? It's the coolest scene of the whole film!

I haven't seen the Mandalorian yet (being not too eager to see baby Yoda, nor anything else from Star Wars after the awful sequels), but seeing the enthusiasm here I think I will give it a chance at some point!

The movies:

1) Rogue One: I found the story reasonably good and well-paced, which is more than I can say about the other movies in this list. Re-watchable.  7/10

2) The Force Awakens: the story has its good share of nonsense, but the actors (especially the new ones) gave good performances, the tension between Rey and Kylo could have led to some interesting developments, and I remember getting out of the movie theater with some interest in seeing the continuation. 6.5/10

3) Solo: I find it really, really boring. The final appearance of Darth Maul, with no explanation, is a kick to logic and only had the function to point to a possible sequel that does not seem to be happening. On the positive side, some very good visual effects and a very good score. 5.5/10   

4) The Last Jedi: subverting expectations works only if you give the audience something more interesting than what they were expecting. GoT did this masterfully in its first seasons. Instead, replacing expectations with "nothing" is not enough. Even the score is the weakest of the sequels. 4/10

5) The Rise of Skywalker: this was to the SW sequels what season 8 was to GoT. Nearly total disaster. Introducing resurrection makes the efforts of the good guys pointless. And not a single scene makes sense (I watched it twice to check if I would save anything of the story after the second viewing, but no). Episode I (including Jar-Jar) was a masterpiece, compared to this. Only good points: again some good acting performances from the young actors, and a brilliant score. 2/10 

So, yeah, overall I guess I am not too happy with the way Disney has handled SW so far...

1. The Force Awakens (2015)
  2. The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
  3. The Last Jedi (2017)
  4. Solo (2018)
  5. The Mandalorian Season 2 (2020)
  6. Rogue One (2016)
  7. The Mandalorian Season 1 (2019)

7 minutes ago, Bespin said:
  1. The Force Awakens (2015)
  2. The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
  3. The Last Jedi (2017)
  4. Solo (2018)
  5. The Mandalorian Season 2 (2020)
  6. Rogue One (2016)
  7. The Mandalorian Season 1 (2019)

At last someone who likes Episode 9.

Only positive things I can say about the movie are

- another great Star Wars score by John Williams 

- it made me apreciate The Last Jedi more, which before I thought was the worst SW film. 

I'm with @GerateWohl on the movies...I never really realized it till just now, but my ranking exactly follows release date. Things get trickier if you start breaking the films apart - I like the first part of TROS better than the first part of R1, and I think TLJ's third act is at least equal in quality to R1's, etc., etc. And there are specific qualities that don't respect the release date order...TFA obviously fails when it comes to originality...Solo has fewer objectionable qualities than some of its predecessors, but fewer exceptional qualities, too...

But at the end of the day, yeah, earlier=better for me with the Disney Star Wars films. The Mandalorian is the real fly in the ointment...tougher to place. S1 is very high on the list. Probably a tie for first, and attempting to even edge ahead of TFA. S2...probably sits around the level of TLJ, maybe just a touch lower. But yeah, I have a hard time directly comparing them with the films.

33 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

At last someone who likes Episode 9.

Only positive things I can say about the movie are

- another great Star Wars score by John Williams 

- it made me apreciate The Last Jedi more, which before I thought was the worst SW film. 

Well, you can read all the history of this Forum, I was the only one who believed before "The Force Awakens" was released that only Palpatine could be the great villain of the sequel movies.  No character on the Saga have been more powerfull than him (well Plagueis was.. as he created Anakin, surely by error, but that's another story and he surely deserves it's own movie, because it seems I'm the only one who understood the story!).

And I knew that the end of the Skywalker Saga could only mean death of the Chosen One and all his descendants.  "He's" a human being created by The Force, so he could not stay forever, "the entity" had to return to the Force... after it did it's work (Well that's the meaning of 'The Rise of Skywalker' to me). So it always implied the death of Leia, Luke and their possible children.  I knew it before they showed it on the screen.

I would love to see a longer director's cut of Rise of the Skywalker, but at the end, it was EVERYTHING I ever wanted for the ending of the Saga.

IT ENDED THE ONLY WAY IT COULD HAVE ENDED. 

PS: One thing I would never forgive to Ryan Johnson, is not to have gived us more clues about the return of Palpatine (well the use of The Emperor's Theme, in the scene where Snoke his murdered, was a big one after all... sorry to have thought JW was a silly old man to reuse it for this scene!!!)

TLJ - love how it looks and what it does with the characters, got better with every rewatch

Mando S1 - fun

Mando S2 - bumpier but fun

TFA - alright but got more boring and shallow with every rewatch

R1 - OK I guess, only rewatched it once. Weak characters and story and prequelitis.

Solo - ugly, bland, boring, bad bad case of prequelitis

TROS - trash. For the most part.

1/ THE LAST JEDI

Er...um...that's about it, really.

TFA is Star Wars' Greatest Hits. It adds nothing to the story, but it's fun.

TROS is a complete mess. The best thing that I can say about TROS is that it seems to be cobbled together from two-plus hours of deleted scenes. I'm certain that somewhere, there is a decent film trying to get out.

Haven't seen THE MADALORIAN.

ROGUE ONE could be the best of the lot...but probably isn't.

SOLO is plain embarrassing.

This is what $4,000,000,000 laughing, sounds like.

19 hours ago, Jay said:

Is it that widely derided?  I thought most people liked it more than the average Disney SW flick

Yeah, just look at this thread for a start.