Rank the Disney-era Star Wars productions!

Jay

3 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

1,583,195,939. The Rise of Skywalker

1,583,195,940. The Desolation of Smaug

Where's BotFA then? 2,000,000,000?

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

A much better resolution of what came before it than The Rise of Skywalker, so...

Well, yeah. But only because Tolkien is a better story teller than (checks IMDB) Chris Terrio, Derek Connolly, Colin Treverrow and JJ Abrams.

15 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Chris Terrio, Derek Connolly, Colin Treverrow and JJ Abrams.

I've read through Derek Connolly and Colin Treverrow's script. Its reads better than the finished film, but still not good.

I often compare this film more to Gladiator, with The Rise of Skywalker being the equivalent of giving Commodus a redemption arc. A line from Doctor Zhivago springs to mind when he expires: "Spare me your expressions of regret. He was a murderous neurotic and no loss to anyone."

Its nuts that 2.5-hours of Gladiator achieve more than 20 hours of Star Wars: an arena battle that doesn't suck, senate politics that don't put you to sleep and a patricidical villain who doesn't suddenly go on a pedestal because he did CPR on a girl once...

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Well, you can read all the history of this Forum, I was the only one who believed before "The Force Awakens" was released that only Palpatine could be the great villain of the sequel movies.

I am not that deep in all that legends stuff. But Palpatines return the way it was done in the movie made no sense. If episode 7 would have started with some servant chasing for resurrection ritual like Hellraiser or Harry Potter 4 I might have bought it. 

But apart from that this lame final battle, this stupid and uninteresting 3PO must not translate Sith is even more stupid like this Ep. 8 Holdo doesn't explain the Plan to Poe plot. I could not agree more with Chen G.

14 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Why is Luke and Leia playing when Lando talks to his "daughter"? 

Never quote me please, I removed the last part.

16 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

when Lando talks to his "daughter"? 

Is that a thing in the backstory/writing history of this movie?

In any other circumstance, I'd say its bollocks, but in the context of this film I don't know anymore.

4 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Is that a thing in the backstory/writing history of this movie?

In any other circumstance, I'd say its bollocks, but in the context of this film I don't know anymore.

Well there are two black characters in Star Wars, so they must be father and daughter.

:pat:

That's not Disney. Its George Lucas.

He'd been steadily turning Star Wars into a soap opera since 1981. Disney just walked in his footsteps in this particular regard, aided by the fact that it was he who set Episode VII (having done some early development on it for Disney) on the road to dealing with another generation of Skywalkers and Solos.

Yuck.

36 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

@Bespin Ok. I unquoted you. But the question remains.

Because at the end of the movie, the Good won... because of Luke and Leia... and they are dead. So that's sad.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Palpatines return the way it was done in the movie made no sense. If episode 7 would have started with some servant chasing for resurrection ritual like Hellraiser or Harry Potter 4 I might have bought it. 

But apart from that this lame final battle, this stupid and uninteresting 3PO must not translate Sith is even more stupid

You know, The Rise of Skywalker having a convoluted plot is one thing. Its not entirely unheard of for a film to have a nonesensical plot but have relatable characters and drama, in which case the plotting can be excused, at least to some extent.

The Rise of Skywalker is not that kind of movie. It makes any number of irrevocable choices when it comes to its characters and what it puts them through, and with regards to its themes.

Its trying to convey a message of "some things are stronger than blood" while being the most soapy piece of cinema in recent memory, where everyone is related to everyone.

Its an entry in a series that's been described as a "morality play", where its somehow deemed immoral of the characters to set-out to kill the villain. While, at the same time, it has another patricidial, genocidal villain redeemed for a token deed of good, simply becuase he's "the son of Han and Leia" - again conflicting with the "some things are stronger than blood" message. Talk about twisted morals!

To narrow-in on something more specific, lets look at how the film handles Rey. Of course, it does the tired, old "is Rey going to go eeevvvill?" schtick. But my issue isn't that's its cliched and deriviative (which it is). My issue is that it doesn't work because two full films - one of them from this very filmmaker - have thoroughly established her as a good-natured, quintessentially good character. As a result, this film had no hope of ever convincing its audience Rey could turn evil.

Furthermore, Rey isn't given any credible motivation to turn evil, except that her grandfather was evil. That would be fine and well, had said grandfather been a figure present in Rey's formative years, but he wasn't. Him being evil should be as relevant to her as Kylo being evil is. It makes no sense.

And, not doubt because of all of this, Daisy Ridley is completely at a loss at how to play this. Whenver Rey is supposed to be shocked or conflicted, she pulls a "deer-in-the-headlamps" look. Its transparent and repetitive, and just doesn't work.

Ontop of this, add an absolute breakneck pace - a light-speed pace, if you will - and it becomes impossible to "settle into" any scene, any setting, any character growth and any sentiment. These things take time, which the one thing this film is unwilling to invest in...anything, really.

Bad movie!

Is it possible to make movies in the 21st without dwarves? Mercy.

BTW, the message beneath the sequel trilogy, is: whatever who you are and where you are coming from, you can make your own destiny. Just make the right choices. Everything is possible.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

LOL. This is true. If for no other reason, than it didn't take up a third of the film.

To be fair, it only takes up exactly 11:10 out of the film's 2:31:51 runtime, therefore 7.35% (7/100), nowhere near 1/3.

Not defending the sequence, just me being anal. :lol:

1 - The Last Jedi - the only Disney era production I would consider good (although not great). Has some incredible moments (some of which provided JW with a fantastic canvas to paint in, they were really conceived to allow the music to carry them), a very striking look and does something interesting  things with some of the characters. The last Star Wars production to have characters in it

2 - The Force Awakens - It's alright, not great by any means, but it has nice energy and enthusiasm to it, a very good cast and fantastic closing scene that really allowed JW to shine

3 - Mandalorian Season 1 - Fun, looks great, although it's a bit too slight and disposable

4 - The whole thing is very meh, saved only by the great visuals and cinematography, plus the best space battle since ROTJ. Everything else is forgettable

5 - Mandalorian Season 2 - I rank it lower than Season 1 because it has all the same flaws (and thus makes even more apparent, minus the novelty factor)

6 - Solo - Great score. Loved the whole concept and design of Lady Proxima. And there's all there is to it

7 - Rise of Skywalker - Again, like Solo, great score. And Babu Frik. And it is my least favorite of all Star Wars movies. I only watched it once 

5 hours ago, Romão said:

1 - The Last Jedi - the only Disney era production I would consider good (although not great). Has some incredible moments (some of which provided JW with a fantastic canvas to paint in, they were really conceived to allow the music to carry them), a very striking look and does something interesting  things with some of the characters. The last Star Wars production to have characters in it

2 - The Force Awakens - It's alright, not great by any means, but it has nice energy and enthusiasm to it, a very good cast and fantastic closing scene that really allowed JW to shine

3 - Mandalorian Season 1 - Fun, looks great, although it's a bit too slight and disposable

4 - The whole thing is very meh, saved only by the great visuals and cinematography, plus the best space battle since ROTJ. Everything else is forgettable

5 - Mandalorian Season 2 - I rank it lower than Season 1 because it has all the same flaws (and thus makes even more apparent, minus the novelty factor)

6 - Solo - Great score. Loved the whole concept and design of Lady Proxima. And there's all there is to it

7 - Rise of Skywalker - Again, like Solo, great score. And Babu Frik. And it is my least favorite of all Star Wars movies. I only watched it once 

My ranking is pretty close to this, too, except I'd maybe swap the positions for Rogue One and Solo.

1 - The Force Awakens (everything I want)

2 - The Rise of Skywalker (great stuff about Rey, The Emperor and Ben)

4 - The Last Jedi (Everything about with Rey and Kylo are great)

5 - Rogue One (The visuals and realisation are amazing)

6 - The Mandalorian Season 1 (Pure pleasure)

7 - The Mandalorian Season 2 (Great episodes but too much unequal)

8 - Solo (Fun little adventure movie)

Well, I don't understand what's happen, so I repost.

1 - The Force Awakens (Everything I want)

2 - The Rise of Skywalker (great stuff about Rey, The Emperor and Ben)
4 - The Last Jedi (Everything about with Rey and Kylo are great)
5 - Rogue One (The visuals and realisation are amazing)
6 - The Mandalorian Season 1 (Pure pleasure)
7 - The Mandalorian Season 2 (Great episodes but too much unequal)
8 - Solo (Fun little adventure movie)

2 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Funny how TLJ is either some peoples' favourite or others' most hated.

Die-hard fans didn't like it, casual ones loved it.  That's simple.

The way Johnson dealed with C-3PO in TLJ is another unforgivable thing. C-3PO is not an accessory or a furniture. You can't do that in a SW!

Well in a sort of answer, I like how JJ-Baby dealed with Rose in TROS.

ET PAF!

9 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Hey, how Hungary do?  Your crazy PM passed recently an anti-LGBTQ law barring same-sex couple from adopting? Your country goes backward? What's the matter with you? Bunch of retards!

Very relevant, thank you for your maturity.

2 minutes ago, Smaug The Iron said:

Revenge of the Sith and The Force Awakens 

AotC... shudders