Rank the Disney-era Star Wars productions!

Jay

The use of C-3PO is for translation, so he must always be with the Heroic bunch to help them understand aliens and other machines. At last, JJ-Baby remembered it for The Rise of The Chosen One.

So this is Christmas soon... I'll begin a new SW marathon.

In This new order:

- A New Hope

- Rogue One

- Empire Strikes Back

- The Phantom Menace

- Attack of the Clones

- Revenge of the Sith

- Solo

- Return of The Jedi

1 hour ago, Smaug The Iron said:

I really like that. Just as I like Han ignoring him or telling him to shut up in Empire. 

Sure.

I didn't laugh too much at most of the humour in that film. But then, humour is a very personal thing. In fact, I rarely laughed at C3POs humour in any of the films, come to think of it.

The Last Jedi was a bit too "meta" for my tastes. By and large, Star Wars had always been earnest.

On 12/18/2020 at 9:38 PM, Chen G. said:

The Force Awakens: Deriviative, but great fun. **** out of *****

The Last Jedi: tries to have its cake and eat it, but still good. ***1/2

Rogue One: Haven't seen it in a while. From memory, there was a lot of wheelspinning in it, but it was fun enough. Great visuals. ***1/2

The Rise of Skywalker: Second only to Attack of the Clones in awfulness, with only a scarce few moments of excitement for its credit. Soapy, morally bankrupt and insufferably frenetic. **

Haven't seen Solo and The Mandalorian, so I just need to copy-paste Chen's comment here which basically has the exact same order and ratings that I would give these movies.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Die-hard fans didn't like it, casual ones loved it.  That's simple.

The way Johnson dealed with C-3PO in TLJ is another unforgivable thing. C-3PO is not an accessory or a furniture. You can't do that in a SW!

Well in a sort of answer, I like how JJ-Baby dealed with Rose in TROS.

ET PAF!

Rose was the most pointless character in the whole saga. 

It should have been Poe that went with Finn.

Yeah, I don't like a lot of the thematic sidetracks he weaves into the Canto Bight subplot. But, as has been pointed before, its a relatively minor part of the film. Does it bog it down? Absolutely. But is it a huge issue? No.

I'm mostly frustrated with what I termed as the film "having its cake and eat it." It plays with the idea of ending the Jedi order, but doesn't follow through. It plays with the idea of putting Kylo beyond the point of absolution, but ends on an ambiguous "no one is ever really gone" note. If it followed through on both these points, it would have been a much stronger film, I feel.

Also, it should never have brought the issue of Rey's parentage to begin with, and should never have brought up the "you went straight to the dark", etcetra. Sometimes the best way to subvert cliches is to leave them by the wayside completely.

20 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

I never gave a toss who Rey's parents were.

Exactly!

Rian Johnson should have ignored it completely! Not suddnly bring it up 50 minutes into the film only to then go "psyche!" to his audience. Its cheap, and its plays into cliche all the same.

Just have the story play out without a word of Rey's parents.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Rian Johnson should have ignored it completely! Not suddnly bring it up 50 minutes into the film only to then go "psyche!" to his audience. Its cheap, and its plays into cliche all the same.

It's the hipster version of the same old cliché. Just inverted, but in the end the orientation was the cliché.

I use to describe Rian Johnson's strategy for the Last Jedi like this: It ist like Santa Clause saying, everyone likes to be surprised by Christmas gifts, so I thought, what would surprise you most. And I came to the conclusion, you will be most surprised when you get nothing at all.

So much for this Rey parent topic.

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

That was probably most painful, to watch those in 7 nicely introduced characters Finn and Poe stumbling through their pointless plots in 8 and 9. 

Kinda tempted to just rank the films in straight release order, as a general rule it's been diminishing returns. Only difference would be I prefer Last Jedi to Rogue One, and half the time would say it's better than Force Awakens. 

I'll give Mandalorian a shot if I ever have a better reason to subscribe to Disney Plus.

7 hours ago, Bespin said:

The use of C-3PO is for translation, so he must always be with the Heroic bunch to help them understand aliens and other machines. At last, JJ-Baby remembered it for The Rise of The Chosen One.

That’s a good point.

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I'll give Mandalorian a shot if I ever have a better reason to subscribe to Disney Plus.

I mean you can subscribe, watch all 16 episodes (they are on average 45ish minutes each), then cancel.  You will have spent what, $8 to do this.

Well finally it works to watch Rogue One just after "Star Wars 77".

It's sure we have a preview of Vader without his helmet... and a preview of some AT-AT and Imperial Walkers that we'll only see in ESB and ROTJ, but it works.

Of course, I still found that it's an uneven movie, and that the actor who portrayed Vader is a bit too "febrile" for a Sith Lord of his calibre. But, hey, that's a way to make sure there is a balance between "old" and "more recent movies".

Today: The Empire Strikes Back!

On 12/20/2020 at 7:51 AM, Bilbo said:

But then Poe would not have learned the lesson that blind obedience to authority is the new ethic of the rebellion or whatever they are called.  

• 1 month later...

1.  The Last Jedi

2. The Force Awakens

3.  Rogue One

4.  Mando S1

5.  Mando S2

6.  Solo

7.  TROS

I consider animation equally valid to the TV and spin-off movies, so here's my fo real list.

1.  TLJ

2.  TFA

3.  RO

4.  TCW S7

5.  Mando

6.  Rebels

7.  Solo

8.  TROS

9.  Resistance

On 22/12/2020 at 12:32 PM, Tom said:

But then Poe would not have learned the lesson that blind obedience to authority is the new ethic of the rebellion or whatever they are called.  

That wasn't the point - it was to trust in your superiors, and not act the hero when you don't get your way. Poe's actions cost several ships and many lives and put the remnants of the fleet in greater jeopardy.

The whole opening was a way to show how cocky Poe was, a great pilot, but cocky nonetheless. 

On 21/12/2020 at 5:17 AM, mrbellamy said:

Kinda tempted to just rank the films in straight release order, as a general rule it's been diminishing returns. Only difference would be I prefer Last Jedi to Rogue One, and half the time would say it's better than Force Awakens. 

I feel the same way about the ST, they dip in both quality and excitement as they go along. The Force Awakens was such a great treat after a decade of little-to-no Star Wars action. The Last Jedi attempted something new, but in doing so made for a disappointing enterprise. The Rise of Skywalker had nowhere else to go after The Last Jedi, both written into a corner and having to wrap up a trilogy pretty much scuppered any real plans for something bigger.

Yet, the trilogy isn't without its merits and there are some truly great moments here and there - and of course the scores! 

I just wish there was one singular vision to this trilogy and it's left me wondering why they wanted three different directors and writers to work on three parts of a trilogy. Clearly there wasn't a great deal of synthesis and coordination. The retaliation against The Last Jedi is unfair with this in mind, Johnson was just doing his thing...

This is going to be an unpopular list:

1. The Rise of Skywalker 

2. The Last Jedi 

3. The Force Awakens 

5. Solo

6. Rogue One

7. The Mandalorian Season 2

8. The Mandalorian Season 1

I'm ready to defend this list. 

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

That wasn't the point - it was to trust in your superiors, and not act the hero when you don't get your way. Poe's actions cost several ships and many lives and put the remnants of the fleet in greater jeopardy.

The whole opening was a way to show how cocky Poe was, a great pilot, but cocky nonetheless. 

What is the difference between blind trust and blind obedience.  The movie already established that one is not allowed to just leave the resistance.  So, "trust" or be punished.  

2 hours ago, Bounty95 said:

This is going to be an unpopular list:

1. The Rise of Skywalker 

2. The Last Jedi 

3. The Force Awakens 

5. Solo

6. Rogue One

7. The Mandalorian Season 2

8. The Mandalorian Season 1

I'm ready to defend this list. 

This is correct

• 9 months later...
On 19/12/2020 at 6:02 AM, GerateWohl said:

That's easy. The movies simply got worse with every new one. When The Force Awakens came out, I did not expect that this would be the highlight. Rogue One second best and so on. Mando does not work without all the other stuff. I would rank the two animated Disney series over Mando. 

1. Clone Wars final season

2. Resistance

3. Mando 1

4. Mando 2

Probably all four behindert Rogue One and above The Last Jedi.

My view on the soundtracks is different.

The Williams scores are top in order of appearance, then Solo, then Rogue (here I still don't like the James Bond vibe in Jyn's theme and the exzessive use of Giacchino's imperial march. Apart from that it's brillant). I am no fan of the Mando score at all.

If not Darth Maul would have apeared at the end of Solo I would have probably ranked it over The Last Jedi.

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I was confused by this. Why would Darth Maul appearing at the end of Solo be a detraction from its ranking, but his appearance in the Clone Wars wouldn't be? 

1 hour ago, enderdrag64 said:

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I was confused by this. Why would Darth Maul appearing at the end of Solo be a detraction from its ranking, but his appearance in the Clone Wars wouldn't be? 

Because Clone wars is outside my personal canon. It is more or less fan fiction. But the live action movies should be consistent without the animated series. At least in my personal Star Wars universe. But since now they brought back Darth Sidious and Boba Fett in the live action universe as well, I don't care anyway. 

They could make episode 10 and bring back Luke Skywalker, Padme Amydala, Mace Windu, Kylo Ren and Snoke. Death of characters don't matter anymore. It is just absolutely ridiculous. Episode 12 would then end with the resurrection of Shmi Skywalker and Anakin and them being reunited to bring at last a happy end to the prequels.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Because Clone wars is outside my personal canon. It is more or less fan fiction. But the live action movies should be consistent without the animated series. At least in my personal Star Wars universe. But since now they brought back Darth Sidious and Boba Fett in the live action universe as well, I don't care anyway. 

They could make episode 10 and bring back Luke Skywalker, Padme Amydala, Mace Windu, Kylo Ren and Snoke. Death of characters don't matter anymore. It is just absolutely ridiculous. Episode 12 would then end with the resurrection of Shmi Skywalker and Anakin and them being reunited to bring at last a happy end to the prequels.

Oh okay that makes more sense

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

Watched Rise of Skywalker for the second time.  Burdened with the knowledge of what it is, and unburdened by the expectations I had going into it, it was pretty fun.  

The movie, as bad as it is, is oddly endearing and enjoyable.  

On 06/02/2021 at 10:03 AM, Arpy said:

I feel the same way about the ST, they dip in both quality and excitement as they go along. The Force Awakens was such a great treat after a decade of little-to-no Star Wars action. The Last Jedi attempted something new, but in doing so made for a disappointing enterprise. The Rise of Skywalker had nowhere else to go after The Last Jedi, both written into a corner and having to wrap up a trilogy pretty much scuppered any real plans for something bigger.

Yet, the trilogy isn't without its merits and there are some truly great moments here and there - and of course the scores! 

I just wish there was one singular vision to this trilogy and it's left me wondering why they wanted three different directors and writers to work on three parts of a trilogy. Clearly there wasn't a great deal of synthesis and coordination. The retaliation against The Last Jedi is unfair with this in mind, Johnson was just doing his thing...

Thought I’d jump on the necroing trend and respond to this

That’s a fine enough message, but it’s executed terribly in the movie. That dreadnaught would’ve killed the entire Resistance fleet, if Poe hadn’t taken it out they would all be dead. Meaning he was fully justified in disobeying the strategically foolish order to call off the attack.

May as well chime in with mine:

The Mandalorian Season 1 (2019)

The Mandalorian Season 2 (2020)

Solo (2018)

Rogue One (2016)

The Force Awakens (2015)

The Last Jedi (2017)

The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

Mandalorian (Season 1 I favor a little more than 2) is the kind of Star Wars sequel world I had always imagined; much more than what the Disney trilogy ended up being. As for the Solo hate... I really never understood it. That film is so fun to me, and while it isn't perfect, it feels more like the OT than many give it credit for. Plus it has an amazing music score, but I think we all know that. ;) Rogue One is such a dark and unique entry, and also didn't understand any of the hate. Force Awakens is honestly about equal to Rogue One for me, but they have an inverse issue: Rogue One has a killer finale and Force Awakens has a very weak one. Endings usually leave a stronger impression, so Rogue One gets the slight edge in my list to break the tie. But I'll never forget how that first half of Force Awakens just totally won me over, from the visuals to the characters and to the music. But I think what also cuts the enjoyment out of it is that it is a movie that is inevitably unfulfilled thanks to...

The Last Jedi? No, actually. While I didn't like Last Jedi nearly as much as Force Awakens, I thought it had a lot of interesting ideas in it and did a lot more right than wrong. I actually don't have a problem with Luke Skywalker going into hiding and etc based on that backstory they eventually present. The Rose stuff wasn't done well at all, including her side mission, but it didn't ruin the movie for me. Just an unfortunate blemish; the character deserved better. Especially with the way she was handled in Rise Of Skywalker... which, I can honestly say, is my least favorite Star Wars film of all time. I almost don't even know where to begin. The movie just feels off immediately. Barely anything about it works for me. And I was actually excited to see it, but without any big expectations since I didn't think it needed to course-correct like so many others wanted. But, Jesus... it just made the entire trilogy pointless. And as much as I love Palpatine, his inclusion was baffling the way it was handled. But I am sure I am saying nothing that hasn't already been said. This movie ruins the trilogy, no way about it. There are some scenes I like, but it almost doesn't matter when the entire film itself obliterates any momentum that was there before it. I saw it with a friend, who had the opposite reaction to it (but he also had the opposite feelings for Last Jedi), and I just don't get how THAT is the finale anyone would have wanted.

So really, only 2/7 were stories I had real issues with, and only one that I outright hated. Although it is pretty damning that it is my most hated Star Wars film, and likely always will be...

18 hours ago, Jay said:

Unwatchable in what sense? 

So what comes after is purely a personal opinion and do not occur in the actual quality of the show.

After an amazing first season despite a score that sometime bothered me (chapter 6), I found this second season ridiculous in every aspect:

In the first episode Mando's searching for Mandalorians and learned out of nowhere with much ease that one is on Tatooine. He gets there and discover the so called Mandalorian who happened to only possess Boba's armour. He gives it against a little help and at the end of the episode you see that Boba is searching for his stuff. The event being 4 years after RotJ, if I remember correctly, I can't understand how Boba took longer than Mando to find back his armour while being on the very same planet. Overall the episode was still good that's why I pursued after l.

In the second episode, Mando still in search of Mandalorian, conveniently meet a pregnant alien whom husband saw Mandalorians on the very only planet where she can take care of her eggs (she needs water so obviously she first went on Tatooine, let her husband go to find a planet with more water while she's waiting just in case there is no planet with enough water). Mando accepts to take her there and crashes his ship in Alien-like place with giant spiders to fill the rest of the episode. Overall a boring episode with a ridiculous plot.

Episode 3. Mando finds the Mandalorian who will help him only if he helps them to attack an imperial ships. So three episodes now and three times the same plot, kinda of too repetitive. Overall it's better than the previous one but not very interesting. Why bringing back characters who've lost all interest since the end of Clone Wars (plus she didn't aged a bit in 20 years)

Episode 4: back to get help to find someone for the child and this time we go back to Nevarro where we need to fight a bunch of imperial in one of the most boring fight scene I've been giving to watch. Almost fell asleep while watching it.

Episode 5: the worst Star Wars live production. They succeeded to make not like Ashoka. She doesn't care about Baby Yoda (what kind of people does that?) clearly ready to just leave him by himself and fights now like a young padawan (her opponent is either very strong-- Ventress type or the dear Ashoka decided to stop fighting for a damn long time). In this one they also failed costumes (Ashoka looks so fake), sound mixing (lightsabers are now silencious weapons), Kyle Reese is ridiculous as the chief of the camp and dies in a ridiculous gunfight)

After this episode I stop, nothing making sense to me, Williams quotes making my ears bleed and Göransson music being too much electronic and out of place. I might watch episode 6 before trying Book of Boba but they really loose my interest on those five episodes (and I'm usually okay with lots of things especially when it comes to Star Wars)

So this is the end of my longest post on this forum, congrats to those who had the courage to read it 😉

4 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

I can't understand how Boba took longer than Mando to find back his armour while being on the very same planet. 

😉

Because Boba was stuck in the Sarlaac for all that time? Threepio did say that digestion would take place over a thousand years, so he had time to consider, plan, and execute his escape.

So somehow, Boba escapes the pit and loses his armor in the process.  

How? There are EU books that explain it, but while they are not canon, TBoBF is free to pick and choose which elements it wants for flashbacks. 

During the episode, when they said the Krayt was living in a Sarlaac nest, I figured that was the same creature we saw in RotJ, even though the topography was quite different. Maybe it moves... Maybe it's bigger than we saw.