Steven C. Smith - MAX STEINER: THE EPIC LIFE of HOLLYWOOD'S MOST INFLUENTIAL COMPOSER (OUP, 2020)

Stephen Butler

Hi there, members of the film fan forum family:

Has anybody read this particular weapon in the armory of film music study?  It has got to be one of the best books on a film composer I have yet read.  It combines analysis, biography, wit, humour with extraordinary depth of knowledge and understanding - the world has waited decades for a book like this.  I've read it a number of times and it's just fab!

I'm not sure I can provide a link to it but you can get it anywhere you like - Amazon or your favorite book emporium.  This is the guy who wrote that famous biography of Bernard Herrmann, A Heart at Fire's Center.  If you enjoyed that book, as I did, you will deffo enjoy this one!

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Stephen Butler

I'm aware of the book, but haven't read it, no. Despite his historical significance, I've never been a big fan of Steiner's (with a few exceptions). But that shouldn't prevent me from learning more about his life and work, of course.

53 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Steiner was a great composer, but...er..."most influential"? I think not.

Well, "'most" is debatable, depending on what criteria you use. But KING KONG is a tentpole reference score in film music history for a reason.

I got this book as a present in November and can also thoroughly recommend it.  Max Steiner was a fascinating character regardless of whether or not the reader has an interest in film music.

Whenever I have attended concerts featuring Golden Age film music, I am always struck by how much I enjoy the Steiner selections, even when pitted against the likes of Korngold, Rozsa, Herrmann and others.  His music grabs me from the outset, which probably explains why he was such a great film composer.

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

Well, "'most" is debatable, depending on what criteria you use. But KING KONG is a tentpole reference score in film music history for a reason.

Correct.

He certainly is influential.

Talented? That's debatable

23 hours ago, publicist said:

It's a wonderful book and rivals Smith's Herrmann bio 'A Heart At Fire's Center'.

A Heart At Fire's Center was probably the best biography I have ever read, so this one is definitely on my radar