Unexpected random encounters with the music of John Williams

Fabulin

Harry Potter in the Hairdresser today.

And not JW, but the 20th Century Fox fanfare played in between club music while waiting in line for a club in Korea, that was exceedingly strange

The Sky Cabin at Knott's Berry Farm. I can't remember what it was now, but I seem to recall being surprised to hear something Williams playing in the background one time.

Damn, that's going to bother me now, trying to remember. It wasn't one of his best-known works but I was familiar with it.

The Dutch satirical comedy news show "Sunday With Lubach" has a couple of Williams favourites.

"Across the Stars" and "Catch Me If You Can" are used quite regularly.

Any of our members here work on that by any chance?

That'd explain a lot!

• 4 weeks later...

John Williams - and primarily the Indy theme - has been all over this weekend and last weekend's biathlon events in Oberhof. They play it just before the skiers are about to enter the shooting range (and easier to hear now that there is no audience noise).

Someone played a slow version of the Raiders March on a church organ at my high school graduation. This was 11 years ago, but unexpected enough that I still remember it.

Watching The Americans on Amazon (great show by the way) and there’s an episode where they are all watching David Copperfield make the Statue of Liberty disappear and the music accompanying the tv broadcast... why it’s the opening titles from The Towering Inferno. Given that it appears to be the original footage (including sound) I assume this is actually what they did use for the broadcast.

4 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Watching The Americans on Amazon (great show by the way) and there’s an episode where they are all watching David Copperfield make the Statue of Liberty disappear and the music accompanying the tv broadcast... why it’s the opening titles from The Towering Inferno. Given that it appears to be the original footage (including sound) I assume this is actually what they did use for the broadcast.

Now that you mention it, I believe there was a thread, ages ago, probably at MM.com or FSM, about film music used in Copperfield shows.

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Now that you mention it, I believe there was a thread, ages ago, probably at MM.com or FSM, about film music used in Copperfield shows.

Yeah, I vaguely recall that. Probably 20 years ago.

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2021 at 9:48 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

What's Copperfield doing now? It's like he's disappeared...

Just the other day, saw a car screaming through a parking garage with The Asteroid Field blaring out the window, echoing through the garage. 

Wish I could have stopped him and chatted!

32 minutes ago, MrJosh said:

Just the other day, saw a car screaming through a parking garage with The Asteroid Field blaring out the window, echoing through the garage. 

Wow I’ve never encountered anyone just randomly listening to JW in that way.

1 hour ago, MrJosh said:

Actual king shit

11 hours ago, MrJosh said:

I think I know that guy!

Was there a huge monkey on the passenger seat?

• 7 months later...

The Star Wars theme popped up in the new movie FREE GUY, and I was trying to tell if it was recorded by Beck directly for the film, or if it was an existing recording tracked in (the film is by 20th Studios which is now owned by Disney, so it would be easy to go either way)

I was surprised when during the end credits roll, it said it was by "The London Philharmonic Orchestra".  What version is this?  Anybody know?

Sounds like the '77 STAR WARS recording to me. Way too iconic not to recognise! Terrible crossfade to the theme reprise still in the main title.

So they put a typo in the End Credits?  If its the original recording, it'd be the London Symphony Orchestra, of course

Imagine that character pulling a lightsaber to some random music and then everybody saying 'it's a lightsaber'. It would fall completely flat, even for the dummies. Where would Star Wars be without JW?

The Avengers theme was probably a Beck re-recording (he already did just that on Ant-Man), but the Star Wars theme was not, it sounds like they tracked it from the movies themselves, probably from the OT.

The London Philharmonic Orchestra was maybe a typo from a guy who confused it with the London Symphony Orchestra. 

Isn't it absolute bullshit that for the little limited releases very much under the radar Mike has to go through so many hoops and keep to so many rules and name track titles right even keeping obviously wrong ones, and wait months for approvals, and then all these big studios can just shit on all of that and get such basic stuff wrong for the actual big wide releases of stuff?

• 2 months later...

Wasn't expecting to hear John Williams music in the trailer for a Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers reboot, but here we are

I guess Disney owns it, so...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/04/2021 at 5:25 PM, MrJosh said:

On 12/04/2021 at 5:58 PM, Disco Stu said:

Wow I’ve never encountered anyone just randomly listening to JW in that way.

Believe it or not, I do this in my parking garage too. Weather permitting, I live in FL so its really hot, if I have the windows down and I'm coming home there's a good chance I'm blaring an End Credits cue.

I'll never forget when I was in South Korea in 2013, a little Korean boy, who couldn't have been more than 5 years old was randomly humming the Imperial March very loudly while sitting with his parents in a cafe. He wasn't watching Star Wars or playing with Star Wars toys, he was just having a good time humming the Imperial March to himself.

16 hours ago, Once said:

I'm pretty sure that video is 3D animated. Pretty cool, though.

They should have animated in proper 16:9 then!

17 hours ago, Once said:

I'm pretty sure that video is 3D animated. Pretty cool, though.

Yes, there are various versions of it with different music and different (or no) "extra stuff" in the background. At least the original version is also clearly designed to loop seamlessly.

• 3 weeks later...

Heard Presumed Innocent and JFK in the behind-the-scenes featurettes for All The President's Men; it was so overused that at one point I wished that I had never listened to Presumed Innocent. In fact, the disc's producer, Gary Leva, must have a penchant for Williams because he used Hook's "Prologue" for documentaries about THX 1138, and snippets of JFK for the 2007 documentary about A Clockwork Orange!