Unexpected random encounters with the music of John Williams

Fabulin

Eating at a local Hungarian restaurant (https://brigittashungariandelivery.com/about-us/) this weekend in a small Texas town (Kilgore) and heard the soundtrack from Jaws. It was in the background, so it took a track or two before I realized what it was. The owner told me he keeps the radio on a Hungarian station and on Saturdays they play film music…

The original radio version of The League of Gentleman has a sketch which involves a dating agency called Close Encounters... you can probably guess how the prospective dates find each other on their first meeting!

On 22/03/2022 at 1:03 PM, 80sFan said:

Eating at a local Hungarian restaurant (https://brigittashungariandelivery.com/about-us/) this weekend in a small Texas town (Kilgore) and heard the soundtrack from Jaws. It was in the background, so it took a track or two before I realized what it was. The owner told me he keeps the radio on a Hungarian station and on Saturdays they play film music…

Was the record they were playing over the radio scratched?

Not sure - it was a fairly low volume (I'm don't think I would have noticed anyway - I was so thrown off by hearing the music!)

On 22/3/2022 at 1:03 PM, 80sFan said:

It’s called Klasszik Radio and it plays film music on a daily basis, and on Saturdays and Sundays they have a two-hour film music special program called Cinemusic. 

There’s a classic Hungarian Mini Series called ABIGÉL released in 1977 that’s based on one of the bestselling Hungarian novels by Magda Szabó.
I almost fell out of my chair when I realized that the main theme is from Williams’ JANE EYRE score.
I think the music editor simply “borrowed” the theme and no one has noticed in 45 years that it’s actually a John Williams score.
It’s one of the most popular TV series of all time in Hungary, and Hungarians to this day have no idea that the music of ABIGÉL was written by John Williams. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

This is probably a classic, but it's the first time I've come across it (timestamped):

I've never seen this but this is outstanding. Maybe when JW was recording Hook he allowed Robin to come in and do a cover of the Close Encounters theme. Now that would be an epic bonus track.

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Tom said:

I didn't realize that he met his wife in high school--and she was a vocalist in his band.  

Yeah, but then they drifted apart after high school. Ruick actually married TWICE (one that was annulled, one that lasted for some 2 years) before they hooked up again.

20 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Can this go here? Mahler symphony 9-3 quotes both March of the Resistance and I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas.

Why not? 

I got the White Christmas quote in the final movement. Can you point us to the MOTR quotes please?

5 hours ago, BB-8 said:

I'm also wondering whether Jedi Steps is related to Mahler, or vice versa.

It's always been one of Williams's most Brucknerian moments to me. (Who of course had a significant influence on Mahler)

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Hehe Yea! I thought I had mentioned that here but I guess I didn't! 

Apologies if you did, but I didn't recall seeing it. It's both funny and quite sweet. Even better than the music on the piano is a proper book of JW piano arrangements.

2 hours ago, rpvee said:

I’m in CA for Star Wars Celebration, and took a trip to Laguna Beach. Was walking along an ocean-side path and came across a string quartet practicing the Jurassic Park Theme for a wedding. Williams music on one side, beautiful scenery and ocean waves on the other!

IMG_8020.MOV 200.22 MB · 0 downloads  

"Turn left":lol:

• 3 weeks later...

This is why I wear tshirts that reference Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Orville, The Boys, Succession, The Office, Always Sunny, and Arrested Development, and not Star Wars :P

Still looking for a good shirt for Mr Robot and Battlestar Galactica...

15 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Not entirely unexpected, but not necessarily worth making a new thread either, so I'm just dropping this here… apparently, Simon Rattle just conducted the Star Wars main titles with the LSO at the BMW Classics concert last Saturday:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeyTQ2NK-Bd/

Rattle will also be doing some John Williams next month with BRSO in Munich (open air).

Klassik am Odeonsplatz - Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks (br-so.com)

Klassik am Odeonsplatz 2022 - BR-Symphonieorchester: Filmmusik mit Sir Simon Rattle | BR-KLASSIK CONCERT | BR-KLASSIK | Bayerischer Rundfunk

Sir Simon Rattle | Bildquelle: © Astrid Ackermann

• 4 weeks later...

Three classics by John Williams played by the BRSO under Sir Simon Rattle.

Star Wars Main Title

Hedwig's Theme

E.T. Flying Theme

Indy March was played as an encore but wasn't broadcast.

https://www.br-klassik.de/concert/ausstrahlung-2904460.html

https://www.br-so.de/klassik-am-odeonsplatz-3-p42416/

simon-rattle-klassik-am-odeonsplatz-104__h-272_v-img__16__9__xl_w-483_-d14a9968b6314b64cbfb1fbee8edfee50e8c00e5.jpg

2022.07.10._Konzert_Rattle_Odeonsplatz_c_Marcus-Schlaf-17-800x600.jpg

20220710_212823.jpg