Here we go again: MGM Looking to Sell Entire Film Library and Studio

Jay

Disney? Sony? Paramount? Universal? WB?

I can’t see it being any of these because of all the antitrust hearing going on. So I think it will be one of the streaming services. 

I don’t think it will be Netflix. I don’t think they have the sort of cash required to spend $5-6 billion on something like this. They’re pumping their money into content creation so I think it’ll be too much for them. 

I think Apple is actually the most likely. They’re producing their own content but a back catalogue like MGM’s would expand what they have on offer while they get more of their own content out there. They’re going to be a major player but it’s going to take a bit of time and they definitely have the cash. 

On 12/22/2020 at 2:05 PM, Jay said:

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1159188-mgm-looking-to-selling-entire-film-library-and-studio

Who will buy them?

Google? Amazon? Apple? Netflix?

The studios showed in the last sale they wanted to invest but did not want to buy.  My money is on one of the streaming giants buying the company.  Netflix being the #1 and Apple #2.

On 12/24/2020 at 12:53 AM, Bilbo said:

I can’t see it being any of these because of all the antitrust hearing going on. So I think it will be one of the streaming services. 

I don’t think it will be Netflix. I don’t think they have the sort of cash required to spend $5-6 billion on something like this. They’re pumping their money into content creation so I think it’ll be too much for them. 

I think Apple is actually the most likely. They’re producing their own content but a back catalogue like MGM’s would expand what they have on offer while they get more of their own content out there. They’re going to be a major player but it’s going to take a bit of time and they definitely have the cash. 

As a shareholder of Netflix, they have lots of cash.  Trust me.  Remember, they offered something up to 200 million to stream Kong V Godzilla.

On 12/22/2020 at 6:54 PM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Hopefully Universal so they make a 007 ride.

The ride won't happen if the Broccoli's don't sign off.  MGM distributes, covers the budgets and markets the Bond movies.  The Broccoli family owns the property, they are the ones that have to approve all the obvious creative/sellable stuff (a ride, toys, music releases, stories, etc).

On 12/22/2020 at 3:02 PM, Edmilson said:

Fuck Apple, I hope Netflix buys them, then we can have all the Bond movies in a streaming service I actually have an account with.

I tried to stream the movies Apple has via the app that showed up on FireTV and no such luck.  It seems they don't want my business so I agree...f them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

James Bond and the Pink Panther will have a new owner: Amazon.

Amazon is looking to grow an even bigger presence in Hollywood. The tech giant is reportedly weeks into negotiations to acquire MGM for around $9 billion, according to multiple reports.

MGM weighing acquisition comes as no surprise. Word broke in the fall that the studio was preparing for a sale, and came after months of rumors and speculation that Apple could make a bid as it pours billions into its fledgling streaming service.

But it turns out its another tech player could win MGM. The Information first reported the MGM-Amazon negotiations.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/05/amazon-wants-to-buy-mgm-1234638339/

Sad to see all these iconic film companies being purchased by "unsexy" entities. Fox by Disney, and now MGM by Amazon.

It would appear Amazon are going to indeed get MGM, so as both a Bond fan and a Stargate fan I'm happy.  Hopefully we can now have a permanent streaming home for the franchise rather than the near monthly shifts they seem to be doing at this point.  Also, we know Bezos likes science-fiction and the SG1 creators are trying to get a new show off the ground, so hopefully Amazon sees the void that the Expanse will be leaving when it ends next year and picks up a new Stargate show.

If MGM had to go to a streamer, I'm glad it's Amazon, given that I'm already Prime member (mostly for the one day delivery).

I am surprised Apple didn't make a bigger push though, given that they're going to need to fill up the programming on Apple TV+ with a LOT more than what they've got now if they're going to remain viable.

33 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I hope to see the Bond movies and the Tom & Jerry cartoons streaming on Prime Video.

Tom & Jerry are owned by Warner Bros (and stream on HBO Max). When Ted Turner bought MGM in 1986, he kept the pre-1986 film library before selling the studio off.

I really dislike this. Feels like the beginning of a buyout battle that results in two massive studios lol. I'm sure it won't get that far, but I won't be surprised if there is another buy out somewhere down the line.

Hope this works out for the best regardless.

Two of my least favorite (and sooo overrated) movies of all time (though on entirely different levels; I don’t care for The Wizard of Oz as an adaptation of the book but at least it isn’t chock full of racism).

Yavar

26 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That's not the point.

The point is Amazon only got whatever is in MGM's vault post-1986. The rest stays in WB's hands.

Indeed. I was just reacting to the headline.

Yavar

I love The Wizard of Oz, and couldn't possibly care less that it's not faithful to the tone of the novel.  Gone With the Wind is pretty good too!  These are both landmarks for film music as well.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I love The Wizard of Oz, and couldn't possibly care less that it's not faithful to the tone of the novel.

I confess that I may be in the minority on this one :) but I grew up with my grandmother reading me the original L. Frank Baum book(s), and so when I saw the film it felt totally off and bothered me. Always has, even though I like "Over the Rainbow" and the scarecrow's song, and the transition from B&W to color is pretty inspired. Dorothy is way too old and the film isn't weird enough and is far too sunny. I resent the film's popularity because it virtually guarantees we will never get a good faithful darker adaptation of the amazing books (Disney's Return to Oz in the 80s is probably the closes Hollywood will ever come to one, and it's not like I totally love that, either). But they deserve one -- the subsequent novels by Baum after the original are even better that it was.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Gone With the Wind is pretty good too!  These are both landmarks for film music as well.

Gone With the Wind has nice costumes and production values... and is utter racist garbage, using those production values to perpetuate the myth of and nostalgia for the "genteel South" (amazing that it hasn't been "canceled" yet, like Disney's Song of the South which frankly isn't even quite as bad as Gone With the Wind IMO). "Tara's theme" is great, I'll give the score that. But overall my opinion of the score jives with the intelligent duo behind Settling the Score:
https://www.settlingthescorepodcast.com/25-gone-with-the-wind/

Super overrated (like a lot of Max Steiner, IMO).

Yavar

10 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Gone With the Wind has nice costumes and production values... and is utter racist garbage,

I'm more concerned with it being one of those "soap opera writ-large" kind of movies. I don't like soap operas so much that I should sit through one for 3.6 hours!

Also, there are way too many scenes of Scarlett saying what amounts to a soliloquy: talking her thoughts out-loud to the camera. Not a very cinematic device, and a repetitive one.

I mean, its fine: there are some nice shots - and an action sequence, which I was surprised by - but its not my kind of movie, I suppose...

7 hours ago, Jay said:

The DOJ should block this sale.

At a time when there is serious discussion of " breaking up" Big Tech, this should be the start.

Anti- trust law must be enforced

6 hours ago, TSMefford said:

I really dislike this. Feels like the beginning of a buyout battle that results in two massive studios lol. I'm sure it won't get that far, but I won't be surprised if there is another buy out somewhere down the line.

Hope this works out for the best regardless.

Had Jeff Bewkes annulled the AT&T/Warner deal, the mega merger could've been Disney buying Warner Bros. instead of 20th Century Fox.