Andrea Bocelli: overrated or not?

Jurassic Shark

Is Andrea Bocelli overrated?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Is Andrea Bocelli overrated?

Slouched on the couch watching Andrea Bocelli's and David Foster's Christmas concert. I've never understood why Bocelli seems so highly regarded. Is it because he's blind? Or is he really the best thing since sliced bread?

12 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

He's definitely overrated because he's blind. I'm always told I have to repsect and love him because he's blind and I'm blind and apparently that comes with obligations. Having said that, I've heard him wail 'con te partiro' or whatever the hell that song is called way too much.

Are you a good singer?

17 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Um, I never sing off-key, but I wouldn't dream of doing it as a profession or improving my limited skills. Perfectly happy humming the burglar theme from Home Alone in the shower.

So you're better than Andrea Bocelli then.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I have no idea who that even is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then I'm truly sorry I made you aware of him.

He's neither underrated nor overrated. Perfectly fine singer who can belt out a tune or two. I think my favourite performance of his is "God Bless Us Everyone" from Silvestri's A CHRISTMAS CAROL. He shows some impressive range at the end there.

11 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

He's definitely overrated because he's blind. I'm always told I have to repsect and love him because he's blind and I'm blind and apparently that comes with obligations. Having said that, I've heard him wail 'con te partiro' or whatever the hell that song is called way too much.

Wait, what? You're blind? How does that work on a messageboard like this? I guess you can have the posts read out loud on your machine, but how about quotes and such?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

He's neither underrated nor overrated. Perfectly fine singer who can belt out a tune or two. I think my favourite performance of his is "God Bless Us Everyone" from Silvestri's A CHRISTMAS CAROL. He shows some impressive range at the end there.

What about his opera recordings?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Wait, what? You're blind?

Duh, how did you think he's such a good singer?

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What about his opera recordings?

Haven't heard many of those. I don't really consider him an opera singer; more of a velvety crooner/light entertainment singer.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Wait, what? You're blind? How does that work on a messageboard like this? I guess you can have the posts read out loud on your machine, but how about quotes and such?

I use a braille display, a device underneath my computer that converts text on screen to braille. I can also turn on a speech synthesizer, a voice that reads text on screen, but I try to avoid that because it's rather robotic.

24 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I use a braille display, a device underneath my computer that converts text on screen to braille. I can also turn on a speech synthesizer, a voice that reads text on screen, but I try to avoid that because it's rather robotic.

Can you use the same voice as Hawking did?

44 minutes ago, Biodome said:

My dad really loves him, and insisted that I should watch all the documentaries about him and his blindness when I was younger.

I can't stand Bocelli now.

Like it's an amazing achievement for a blind man to sing.

Are you blind as well?

16 hours ago, Thor said:

That's why the HTML standard has support (and the guidelines have pretty strict rules) for accessibility metadata in content. Doesn't mean that everyone uses them, of course, especially those strictly adhering to the 80/20 rule who figure they just "don't need" blind people.

• 1 year later...