NEW WILLIAMS LIVE ALBUM OUT NOW FOR FREE DOWNLOAD, “John Williams and The President’s Own”

Disco Stu

Would be nice if a new piece was snuck into this, but I am guessing it an archival sort of thing all around.  then again, we are talking about the Marines.  If they can kick down doors in a hostile environment, I am sure they can play some instruments even in a viral environment. 

On 12/24/2020 at 9:04 PM, Disco Stu said:

Not exactly sure what this is yet, but I would assume it’s either going to be recordings of Williams’ music conducted by band director Fettig OR an official archival release of one or more of the concerts Williams himself has conducted for the Marine Band over the years

Oh, I would LOVE for it to be a release of music from the Williams-conducted concerts from 2003 and/or 2008!! I attended the latter and loved it, or most of it anyway. ;)

Not exactly sure what this is yet, but I would assume it’s either going to be recordings of Williams’ music conducted by band director Fettig OR an official archival release of one or more of the concerts Williams himself has conducted for the Marine Band over the years.  Generally the band records a new album every year, but I’m guessing the pandemic has forced them to plunder the archives for this year’s release.

All I know about it is that it has the title, the cover, and “COMING SOON!” at this URL 

https://www.marineband.marines.mil/Audio-Resources/Educational-Series/
F8C78801-1BB4-458F-8FA1-73072CD58736.png

It's and old recording, it's in my discography since 2013. In the singles.

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It's and old recording, I think it's in my discography since few years now, in the singles.

Given the title in the graphic that @Disco Stu shared above, I don’t believe this is simply a release/re-release of his composition titled “For ‘The President’s Own’” (conducted by him or Fettig), but rather is a release of Williams conducting The President’s Own. Or maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part...

OR an official archival release of one or more of the concerts Williams himself has conducted for the Marine Band over the years.

Yes if I had to place a wager on what the album would be that would be it.

15 hours ago, Bespin said:

It's and old recording, it's in my discography since 2013. In the singles.

This will be a full album, not a single.  Just like all the other albums you see below it in the link I posted for their "Educational Series"

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

However, I would also guess that the kind of professional musician who would consider joining a service band would statistically be more likely to be Republican than the average professional musician!

Well, they do get to wear red jackets!

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Thomas Hooten

Do you know if his JW album is still available on CD somewhere?

13 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Do you know if his JW album is still available on CD somewhere?

Dunno about internationally though https://www.amazon.com/Hooten-Plays-Williams-Thomas/dp/B07P3WK6SZ

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I wonder whether marine band players are mainly republicans or democrats.

I was in my high school orchestral band.

But, when asked to join the MARCHING band I replied

"No way! Marshall ain't puttin on no uniform"! 😝

• 2 weeks later...

He conducts all the tracks?

I assume "The President's Own" will match the version Marjer Music released in 2013 on their website only?

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Excellent!!!

So this is a compilation of performances from the two concerts that John Williams conducted on July 12, 2003, and July 20, 2008.

Except "For 'The President's Own'", which would be the studio recording conducted by Williams in 2013.  From the liner notes:

As the band’s 215th anniversary approached in 2013, Col. Colburn once again invited Mr. Williams to lead the ensemble. Unfortunately, the process of sequestration in the government prevented a third gala concert from taking place; however, Williams followed through on his promise to compose an original piece for the band to celebrate the milestone. It was his first piece written for band in more than forty years, and he warmly titled the work “For ‘The President’s Own.’” Williams traveled to Washington, D.C. in the summer of 2013 to conduct a reading and recording of his generous gift to the Marine Band. That recording is featured as a bonus track on Volume 2 of this collection.

So we'll have to download the album from Youtube?

There's no way of getting the album in FLAC quality?

EDIT: Ah ok the mp3 are in the zip file. MP3s???

I'm slow thins morning, sorry.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

So we'll have to download the album from Youtube?

The band provided a direct download, you do not need take it from Youtube.  However it is in MP3 only.

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Not presently.  The Marine Band typically produces CDs to be distributed freely to libraries and educational institutions, so it may be possible, at some later point, to obtain a FLAC rip of the CD.

FYI, the previous MP3 version of "For 'The President's Own'" has a bit more high-frequency information than the MP3 version featured in this new set.  Very, very minor differences, mind you.  Both have a relatively hard cut-off at 16 kHz so the differences are between 16 kHz and 22.05 kHz, but they can be seen in the spectrographic comparison below...

Spoiler

PREVIOUS MP3 VERSION:

image.png

MP3 VERSION IN THIS NEW SET:

image.png