Animation scoring: Powell vs. Horner vs. Giacchino

WampaRat

Which composers animation scores do you prefer overall?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which composers animation scores do you prefer overall?

• James Horner
    • John Powell
    • Michael Giacchino
    • Other

On 12/29/2020 at 12:17 PM, Thor said:

We're obviously on different planets in our evaluation there. The Oscars are all deserved. My attraction isn't actually the songs (great as they are), but the lush, consonant, dynamic scores. No composer has as impressive a body of work in animation as Menken.

Consonant, yes. That was always your big problem, too much bloody consonance. 😎

Horner's cartoon scores are too cutesy and forgettable for the most part.  Plus there are only two really memorable ones (American Tail, and Land Before Time) while Powell has at least three great scores with the How to Train Your Dragon Trilogy 

There's also Hrton Heard A Who, which has great moments

4 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Horner's cartoon scores are too cutesy and forgettable for the most part.  Plus there are only two really memorable ones (American Tail, and Land Before Time) while Powell has at least three great scores with the How to Train Your Dragon Trilogy 

Even a minor entry like The Pagemaster is better than either. I like Powell well enough, but statements like this make this board a ridicule.

I don’t remember most themes in Horner cartoon scores, but can whistle/hum Sid the sloth’s theme despite having not listened to the Ice Age scores in many months.

That acknowledged, John Powell is my favorite composer (followed by Chris Young, Goldsmith, Broughton and John Scott), but I’m not compelled to find reason to look down upon the others’ virtues.