What Is The Last Score You Listened To From 2021?

Jay

Some nice things but it's mostly an ambience score with no real thematic. I've listen to this because of Beltrami who can do some nice scores once in a while but I'm not fully satisfied with this last one (don't know if it works best in the movie though)

Is Gordon secret? Honest question. He made a big impact with Moby Dick (a score I love), then followed it with On the Beach (which got lots of good reviews but never did all that much for me). A few years later came Salem's Lot (which I barely remember) and a few years later still Daybreakers (which has at least some really good moments, though I've rarely listened to the whole thing). But even that was 11 years ago now, and aside from those, I've totally lost sight of him.

Which may have something to do with the fact he didn't do film scores, at least not with any regularity. But when he does, it's good to great stuff. A great brass chorale in a third-rate horror movie called Out of the Shadows, the classicist Gift of Light and of course I will always cherish his sports and olympic stuff. Mao's Last Dancer was another great addition in the mid-2000's.   

Always been a fan of Gordon, as I just noted in the other thread, but wasn't aware he had a new score out this year. Thanks for the tip!

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Master and Commander is his best score.

I love the film, and some of the source music, but the score has never done anything for me. I have it on CD, and yet I keep forgetting it exists.

9 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I love the film, and some of the source music, but the score has never done anything for me. I have it on CD, and yet I keep forgetting it exists.

Perhaps you should give it another try now that I reminded you it exists. :)

Revo - Bravely Default II

I am somehow less impressed by my second listen than I was my first.  The constant re-working of tracks from the first game isn't supported by strong enough new material I think.  Or maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Master and Commander is his best score.

Many people feel his contributions are overshadowed by all the classical pieces used, but I feel his aproach was highly original and effective. And the album flows beautifully between original and pre existing cues

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Perhaps you should give it another try now that I reminded you it exists. :)

I just did. And even now I don't remember much. It's mostly comprised of a) rhythmic drumming, b) some grand orchestral gestures, and c) a couple of jigs. a and b could more or less be out of the LOTR playbook, just without what made Shore's scores characteristic. In the end, the gestures are just empty gestures, and none of it feels like a cohesive score to me.

That's not surprising really, given the film's reliance on non-original music and a certain touch of a "documentary" approach with little room for an upfront score - the score mainly gets to support the dramatic tension between the preexisting and diegetic music cues. And it surely does its job well in the film, it just doesn't leave much that I find interesting to listen to on CD. And I can't help but have at least minor misgivings when a film affords itself at least one grand gesture and give it to the Tallis Fantasia, letting the original score have the scraps.

The best release of Blade Runner ever...though i understand how such album would have seemed out of place at the time of this movie's release. As much as i love Rutger Hauer, i would have preferred Tears in the Rain without his voiceover.

Mortal_Kombat_Sdtk_3x3.jpg

I love EDM more than most people here, but the type of commercial techno on display in "Techno Syndrome 2021" is not really my cuppa tea, especially not when it goes all dubstep (which has been out of fashion for a while now). There are glimpses of fine music in the score otherwise, like the oriental instrumentation and when it's downtempo and textural. The action music feels very generic. Lots of noise, fuss and breaks. All rather uninteresting, and I'm afraid there's too much of the latter (especially over the course of 80 friggin' minutes!)

CS5050219-02A-BIG.jpg

Wheatley and Mansell sounds like a match made in heaven, and I'm guessing it is (although REBECCA didn't that much for me). This is for the most part zithering, dark, ambient textures that are NOT an easy listen (it has more in common with Mica Levi than Mansell's previous work), but I can picture it working beautifully in the film.

image.png

I can't place it, but a lot of the melodies and textures of this score remind me a hell of a lot of something else. I listened to this without focusing too much unfortunately, but I don't think it was awful. 

On 4/16/2021 at 2:11 AM, Thor said:

I love EDM more than most people here, but the type of commercial techno on display in "Techno Syndrome 2021" is not really my cuppa tea, especially not when it goes all dubstep (which has been out of fashion for a while now). There are glimpses of fine music in the score otherwise, like the oriental instrumentation and when it's downtempo and textural. The action music feels very generic. Lots of noise, fuss and breaks. All rather uninteresting, and I'm afraid there's too much of the latter (especially over the course of 80 friggin' minutes!)

I agree that this score is way overlong and sadly not that interesting at all. Sadly, because I really like Wallfisch when he's at his best. 

image.png

This is a really enjoyable listen, haven't heard the score for the first movie but if it's anything like this I'll give it a spin. Think I'm realising I'm pretty partial to most African influenced film music. 

I was very curious about VOYAGERS. Alas, the press screening (and premiere) has been postponed over here, due to the pandemic, so I'll have to wait a bit. But I'm curious about the score; thanks for the reminder, Jules!

As for COMING TO AMERICA 2, I thought it was a disastrously poor film (I consider the original one of the best comedies of all time). The score didn't do much for me either, I'm afraid, but I should probably give it another go.

On 4/17/2021 at 12:10 PM, Thor said:

I was very curious about VOYAGERS. Alas, the press screening (and premiere) has been postponed over here, due to the pandemic, so I'll have to wait a bit. But I'm curious about the score; thanks for the reminder, Jules!

Listening now. I'm a bit disappointed, to be honest. A mix of Max Richter "Lite" and experimental, ambient "noise" textures. Don't know what I had expected, but something a little more original and musical, I suppose. But I'm still looking forward to the movie!

On 4/18/2021 at 2:10 AM, Thor said:

As for COMING TO AMERICA 2, I thought it was a disastrously poor film (I consider the original one of the best comedies of all time). The score didn't do much for me either, I'm afraid, but I should probably give it another go.

I only watched Coming to America relatively recently and I can barely remember it. Yet I recall another Landis/Murphy collab vividly Beverly Hills Cop III, a rather crappy movie.

I don’t know if I was just in the mood, but quite enjoyed it the second time round. Certainly not about to enter the pantheon of great space scores or anything though. 

On 4/17/2021 at 1:46 PM, Jules said:

image.png

This is a really enjoyable listen, haven't heard the score for the first movie but if it's anything like this I'll give it a spin. Think I'm realising I'm pretty partial to most African influenced film music. 

So am I, and although this contains its fair share of fun ethnic instrumentation, there is no melodic base or - in fact - any base at all. It's all window dressing.

91256.jpg

The incorporation - and variation - of Grieg's "Solveig's Song" is quite lovely indeed, but a lot of the other stuff is rather typical ambient territory that Fogelström is so known for.

Christopher Lennertz - Tom & Jerry

Probably my 5th or 6th listen now.  I love it!  So much fun - this was just what I needed to get my day going this morning.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Christopher Lennertz - Tom & Jerry

Probably my 5th or 6th listen now.  I love it!  So much fun - this was just what I needed to get my day going this morning.

I agree!

On 2/12/2021 at 9:56 AM, Disco Stu said:

Tom and Jerry - Christopher Lennertz

Ummmmm, I had below 0 expectations putting this one on and it's shockingly good!  It's a pretty fun pop-R&B inflected score.  Dare I say, it's actually Powellian in spots (as in, reminding me of John Powell's sillier, lighter animation scores).

It's definitely worth checking out for at least a single listen.

Hans Zimmer and Steve Mazarro - The Spongebob Movie: Sponge on the Run

This was super fun!  I really enjoyed this, the 30 minute length of the album was perfect.

James Newton Howard - Raya and the Last Dragon

Wow!  I finally checked out the OST album today, and I liked it a lot!  Easily the JNH score I've liked the most since Maleficient.  What a wonderful blend of action, drama, ethnic instruments, choir - its great!

On 4/23/2021 at 3:49 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Is this the one he said had it all?

Nope, you're thinking of Jungle Cruise

On 4/23/2021 at 3:51 PM, Disco Stu said:

Raya was a very enjoyable movie too.

We'll watch it as soon as its free on D+!

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Raya is one of the best Disney animated movies (including Pixar) on recent years.

I agree, and yet at least the response that I saw generally seemed kind of tepid.

I've read people calling the score to Falcon and The Winter Soldier "as good as film music gets". 

Legit question, are people getting legit dumber by the year? 

5 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

I've read people calling the score to Falcon and The Winter Soldier "as good as film music gets". 

Legit question, are people getting legit dumber by the year? 

I think we're prone to forgetting how old we are and expect these youngins to have been exposed to the actual good stuff like we were, when the truth is they've never had any interest in exploring what came before their time. Consequently their only frame of reference is whatever was released in the last five years because that's the limit of their exposure.

It's as if all this has been designed to be that way too, by making everything as bland and vanilla as possible to invite the widest desired audience. Or else it'll be "too niche" or not commercial enough.

11 hours ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

I think we're prone to forgetting how old we are and expect these youngins to have been exposed to the actual good stuff like we were, when the truth is they've never had any interest in exploring what came before their time. Consequently their only frame of reference is whatever was released in the last five years because that's the limit of their exposure.

Yep

11 hours ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

It's as if all this has been designed to be that way too, by making everything as bland and vanilla as possible to invite the widest desired audience. Or else it'll be "too niche" or not commercial enough.

Yup.

More than the age I would say it's more about the lack of interrest in film music. People just like the scores they noticed from the movies or shows they've seen, so as everyone is watching marvel stuff, people always say that the music in it his great music.

Bridgerton by Kris Bowers

It's too long, and the sound suffers a bit from the COVID-style remote individual recordings, but there is some fine and colourful writing here. Bowers seems to be another new voice to watch out for.

28 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Lovely score by Joe Kraemer!

I sampled that today too, and was so underwhelmed, I didn't even want to post about it here. :) First of all, there is no real thematic content. The Williamsesque bits are cute, though. But the biggest problem is that it sounds so sampled and cheap. I doubt that real instruments were actually used.

Joe Kraemer - Emily and the Magical Journey

Good stuff!  The fact that it is performed by synths and not a live orchestra is a bummer, but the writing is wonderful, really fun stuff!

Raya and the Last Dragon - James Newton Howard

My favorite JNH score since the first Fantastic Beasts and it's probably better than that.  I love the variety found in the score and the blend of orchestral and synthetic instruments just sounds gorgeous.  The people involved with how good this sounds should be very proud of their work here.

Wow thanks for reminding me about that score that I had somehow already forgotten about (probably because I haven't seen the movie).

I liked my first listen to that a lot too.  Really need to listen again