What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (2021 scores)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best release of Blade Runner ever...though i understand how such album would have seemed out of place at the time of this movie's release. As much as i love Rutger Hauer, i would have preferred Te

Christophe Beck - WandaVision (Episode 6 OST album)   I think this is the best overall release yet, and probably a good place to start for someone curious about this score.  The 90s styled s

Be that as it may, the music was wonderfully used in the film

Is Gordon secret? Honest question. He made a big impact with Moby Dick (a score I love), then followed it with On the Beach (which got lots of good reviews but never did all that much for me). A few years later came Salem's Lot (which I barely remember) and a few years later still Daybreakers (which has at least some really good moments, though I've rarely listened to the whole thing). But even that was 11 years ago now, and aside from those, I've totally lost sight of him.

Which may have something to do with the fact he didn't do film scores, at least not with any regularity. But when he does, it's good to great stuff. A great brass chorale in a third-rate horror movie called Out of the Shadows, the classicist Gift of Light and of course I will always cherish his sports and olympic stuff. Mao's Last Dancer was another great addition in the mid-2000's.   

Revo - Bravely Default II

I am somehow less impressed by my second listen than I was my first.  The constant re-working of tracks from the first game isn't supported by strong enough new material I think.  Or maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Master and Commander is his best score.

Many people feel his contributions are overshadowed by all the classical pieces used, but I feel his aproach was highly original and effective. And the album flows beautifully between original and pre existing cues

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Perhaps you should give it another try now that I reminded you it exists. :)

I just did. And even now I don't remember much. It's mostly comprised of a) rhythmic drumming, b) some grand orchestral gestures, and c) a couple of jigs. a and b could more or less be out of the LOTR playbook, just without what made Shore's scores characteristic. In the end, the gestures are just empty gestures, and none of it feels like a cohesive score to me.

That's not surprising really, given the film's reliance on non-original music and a certain touch of a "documentary" approach with little room for an upfront score - the score mainly gets to support the dramatic tension between the preexisting and diegetic music cues. And it surely does its job well in the film, it just doesn't leave much that I find interesting to listen to on CD. And I can't help but have at least minor misgivings when a film affords itself at least one grand gesture and give it to the Tallis Fantasia, letting the original score have the scraps.

Mortal_Kombat_Sdtk_3x3.jpg

I love EDM more than most people here, but the type of commercial techno on display in "Techno Syndrome 2021" is not really my cuppa tea, especially not when it goes all dubstep (which has been out of fashion for a while now). There are glimpses of fine music in the score otherwise, like the oriental instrumentation and when it's downtempo and textural. The action music feels very generic. Lots of noise, fuss and breaks. All rather uninteresting, and I'm afraid there's too much of the latter (especially over the course of 80 friggin' minutes!)

CS5050219-02A-BIG.jpg

Wheatley and Mansell sounds like a match made in heaven, and I'm guessing it is (although REBECCA didn't that much for me). This is for the most part zithering, dark, ambient textures that are NOT an easy listen (it has more in common with Mica Levi than Mansell's previous work), but I can picture it working beautifully in the film.

image.png

I can't place it, but a lot of the melodies and textures of this score remind me a hell of a lot of something else. I listened to this without focusing too much unfortunately, but I don't think it was awful. 

On 4/16/2021 at 2:11 AM, Thor said:

I love EDM more than most people here, but the type of commercial techno on display in "Techno Syndrome 2021" is not really my cuppa tea, especially not when it goes all dubstep (which has been out of fashion for a while now). There are glimpses of fine music in the score otherwise, like the oriental instrumentation and when it's downtempo and textural. The action music feels very generic. Lots of noise, fuss and breaks. All rather uninteresting, and I'm afraid there's too much of the latter (especially over the course of 80 friggin' minutes!)

I agree that this score is way overlong and sadly not that interesting at all. Sadly, because I really like Wallfisch when he's at his best. 

image.png

This is a really enjoyable listen, haven't heard the score for the first movie but if it's anything like this I'll give it a spin. Think I'm realising I'm pretty partial to most African influenced film music. 

I was very curious about VOYAGERS. Alas, the press screening (and premiere) has been postponed over here, due to the pandemic, so I'll have to wait a bit. But I'm curious about the score; thanks for the reminder, Jules!

As for COMING TO AMERICA 2, I thought it was a disastrously poor film (I consider the original one of the best comedies of all time). The score didn't do much for me either, I'm afraid, but I should probably give it another go.