What Is The Last Score You Listened To From 2021?

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

John Powell - Locked Down

There's 18 minutes of score in this film, and about a third of that is classical pastiche (or straight re-recordings of classical pieces, I wouldn't know) which is sort of quasi-source at times. The truly original score is basic tension building stuff, with a bit of percussion and some distorted guitar, and then a wacky end credits cue under footage of Chiwetel baking bread

Honestly the music is good enough that a little 20 minute digital EP would be appreciated, shame it's not in the cards

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

John Powell - Locked Down

There's 18 minutes of score in this film, and about a third of that is classical pastiche (or straight re-recordings of classical pieces, I wouldn't know) which is sort of quasi-source at times. The truly original score is basic tension building stuff, with a bit of percussion and some distorted guitar, and then a wacky end credits cue under footage of Chiwetel baking bread

Honestly the music is good enough that a little 20 minute digital EP would be appreciated, shame it's not in the cards

Maybe he'll find a way to make it happen, fingers crossed. I'm still curious as to whether this was the work he referred to at the talk before Christmas (mentioned elsewhere) as being a struggle to get right. Given how little music there is and how straightforward the music sounds (not seen it personally), it seems hard to fathom that he'd have difficulty in coming up with something appropriate, unless Liman is very particular. Half hoping he's working on something else more interesting!

NP: Da 5 Bloods (Terence Blanchard) - really love this one, guess it's not really Blanchard's core compositional style but it's a terrific riff on Williams Americana, without leaning heavily on anything specific.

Christophe Beck - WandaVision

Well, we watched the first 2 episodes and I literally did not once notice the score within the episodes themselves (other than obviously the sung title songs by the Frozen guys).  But when each episode ended.... Christophe Beck's main credits cue was great!  Looking forward to see what else he goes up to as the show goes on!

Christophe Beck - WandaVision (Episode 1 OST album)

The opening song by the Frozen guys is fun.  "Toast-Mate 2000" is fun retro-commercial music.

What's left is about 5 minutes of actual underscore, and then the end credits cue.

The underscore (tracks 3-8) is nice enough; It got the job done in the episode, doesn't offer a whole lot of value outside of it I don't think.  "That You For Coming" and "Rings" are the only two standout cues I'd say.

The end credits cue is pretty good though!  I like how different it is from the 50s sitcome stylings of all the other underscore, definitely reveals that there is more going on than there appears in the narrative.

Kinda funny there's a 9 minute OST album and they couldn't add in Vision's ukelele song

Christophe Beck - WandaVision (Episode 2 OST album)

A significantly more satisfying OST album than Episode 1!  This time it's just over 6 minutes of underscore instead of 5, and this time all the cues are interesting.  The Strucker commercial music is out of place though, and would have been better programmed right after the theme song leaving the underscore play as one single suite.

Anyway, I like how the Bewitched-esque stylings gradually give way to the Beekeeper cue, which has a nice modern flair to it - it'd be right at home in an MCU theatrical movie.  "Exit Stage Left" is kind of an interesting cue the way it starts retro as hell, gets more modern in the middle, then ends with a classic Hollywood romance sound.  "It's Really Happening" sounds like a nice wrap up of the whole 50s sound since it looks like things are moving past that with episode 3.

On 1/9/2021 at 3:17 AM, publicist said:

It is actually remarkable, that music so sophisticated is part of a Netflix production.

Is it really a Netflix production if they're just distributing it?

Anyway, the film doesn't feel like a Shitflix film at all.

Antebellum by Nate Wonder and Roman GianArthur

A nice late 2020 find thanks to pub's recommendation. Some nice textural ideas grounded by a memorable, if simple, thematic device that sounds like a drunken, melodramatic Baroque sea shanty. There's a lovely major key apotheosis take on the melody in the final cue that was especially enjoyable. 

Lovecraft Country by Laura Karpman and Raphael Saadiq

Another pub recommendation. There is definitely sophisticated writing and sonic configurations here, but it's difficult listening. Ideas are too scattered (the nature of TV) and it sometimes gets too noisy. The long album also doesn't help. There some fine cues though.

The Little Things by Thomas Newman

Newman in thriller mode is painfully very Newman. The tense off-kilter piano rhythms are nice, but altogether unremarkable.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Modern scores are often a real chore to sit through...

I agree with you on this one but I don't think we can make generalities with thoses. Each year they are great new scores. I've personnally really enjoy  Promising Young Woman by Anthony Willis or The Trial of the Chicago 7 by Danniel Pemberton that I recommande you. Maybe they will change your mind about modern scores and if not well it's a question of flavors and colors. :P

I love the style of Thomas Newman. I listened to this score and it's pretty atmospheric and trance-like, but it remains very "Thomas Newman". I will have to watch the movie before issuing a gratuitous comment. I quite understand that this movie is not a comedy!

47 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I agree with you on this one but I don't think we can make generalities with thoses. Each year they are great new scores. I've personnally really enjoy  Promising Young Woman by Anthony Willis or The Trial of the Chicago 7 by Danniel Pemberton that I recommande you. Maybe they will change your mind about modern scores and if not well it's a question of flavors and colors. :P

Nah. He's right. Most modern scores are a chore to sit through, including the Pemberton you've listed. That the Willis score is as memorable as it is, is an exception to that rule.

Promising Young Woman by Anthony Willis

A thriller score with a personality! The music gets surprisingly sophisticated in places.

Supernova by Keaton Henson

Let's throw some meandering chamber string writing together and hope it fools the arthouse folk!

8 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I know them, though i find Pemberton's Birds of Prey far superior (or Antebellum, a really good one, which i linked elsewhere). Since many years i becry the unmusical, movingless static-ness that are 95%  part and parcel of these releases, overlong to begin with. Composers get paid to avoid writing proper music as much as possible, video game music has become a haven compared to it.

12 hours ago, KK said:

Nah. He's right. Most modern scores are a chore to sit through, including the Pemberton you've listed. That the Willis score is as memorable as it is, is an exception to that rule.

What about the 2019: Ad Astra by Richter, Ophelia by Price, GoT8 by Djawadi, Knives Out by Johnson, His Dark Materials by Balfe or HTTYD3 by Powell and many more. I'm not even quoting Williams' TROS.

That makes a lot of great score to me which aren't just "movingless" and "unmusical" to quote @publicistI think you can find some very various scores which don't only sound like static music or noise.

@BespinI personnaly found that Newman's music has often the same sound. I don't find it bad nor good when I'm listenning to it. But when I'm watching the movie well... that's usually something else!;)

55 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

What about the 2019: Ad Astra by Richter, Ophelia by Price, GoT8 by Djawadi, Knives Out by Johnson, His Dark Materials by Balfe or HTTYD3 by Powell and many more. I'm not even quoting Williams' TROS.

That makes a lot of great score to me which aren't just "movingless" and "unmusical" to quote @publicistI think you can find some very various scores which don't only sound like static music or noise.

Most of the stuff you list there has a few engaging pieces at best (at best!) and represents but a tiny fraction of all the dross coming out. But i'm not making a big debate out of this, people who are into movies always will try to find significance in film music, i find my former hobby now irrelevant, as far as new releases are concerned. I follow the Spotify updates, of course, but apart from a Wintory here or a Pemberton there (or even Zimmer's WW 1984-cue), there's just not much that appeals to me either harmonically or melodically (it works good enough as background music).

Christophe Beck - WandaVision (Episode 1 OST album)

I dunno why, but I *really* love these 50s sounding cues here!

And the end credits theme gets better to me every time I hear it

Christophe Beck - WandaVision (Episode 2 OST album)

LOL, the theme song in this one that just says "Wanda Vision!" over and over again is a treat to listen to

Christophe Beck - WandaVision (Episode 3 OST album)

Wow, I think I like this theme song the best!  This 70's sound has been parodied so much, but this is a great version of it.

The score cues here are great!  Super fun 70s style stuff.  Excellent use of theramin!

The final "real world" style scoring instead of the 70s stuff, "No Home", is just OK.  But the rest of this album is really fun!

Christophe Beck - WandaVision (Episode 4 OST album)

I think this is probably the weakest of the 4 albums, it's certainly not as "fun".  It's mostly modern super hero style scoring, but no fanfares or action music at all, just the kind of in between stuff when characters are talking to each other and the plot pieces are moving along.

It's not bad, it's just not very interesting or comepelling, I guess.  After 2 listens, I don't even have a highlight track to mention.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I think this is probably the weakest of the 4 albums, it's certainly not as "fun".  It's mostly modern super hero style scoring, but no fanfares or action music at all, just the kind of in between stuff when characters are talking to each other and the plot pieces are moving along.

It's not bad, it's just not very interesting or comepelling, I guess.  After 2 listens, I don't even have a highlight track to mention.

Just the same here. The first time I hear it I didn't even notice it was over....

I think that the only track worth listening is The Players but even this one sounds like a vague variation of the Ant-Man theme with less flavour.

Yea that's true, I do remember looking up and noticing that track name at point actually.

I guess the retro-stylings of the earlier episode scores were just more compelling then superhero score #45347.  But hopefully it will be more interesting next time we get a real world episode

Christophe Beck - WandaVision (Episode 5 OST album)

The 80s tracks are fun but very short.  The real world tracks are the best yet - finally getting interesting!

Tom and Jerry - Christopher Lennertz

Ummmmm, I had below 0 expectations putting this one on and it's shockingly good!  It's a pretty fun pop-R&B inflected score.  Dare I say, it's actually Powellian in spots (as in, reminding me of John Powell's sillier, lighter animation scores).

It's definitely worth checking out for at least a single listen.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Tom and Jerry - Christopher Lennertz

Ummmmm, I had below 0 expectations putting this one on and it's shockingly good!  It's a pretty fun pop-R&B inflected score.  Dare I say, it's actually Powellian in spots (as in, reminding me of John Powell's sillier, lighter animation scores).

It's definitely worth checking out for at least a single listen.

That sounds like a good bet then... I saw it was available earlier but hadn't bought it yet, but that's a selection of comments I can get on with. Plus his Lost in Space music is aces so happy to hear his other stuff too

Andrew Willis - Promising Young Woman

Wow, for a score that doesn't need to carry the movie (and I didn't even notice anything about when watching the movie), this was a surprisingly good listen.  Nice violin and piano work.  The final Romantic Suite track was especially nice

Christopher Lennertz - Tom & Jerry

Wow!  That is instantly and easily the best score of the year so far.  What a joy!  Already want to listen again.

We need more just flat out FUN scores like this in our lives

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Andrew Willis - Promising Young Woman

Wow, for a score that doesn't need to carry the movie (and I didn't even notice anything about when watching the movie), this was a surprisingly good listen.  Nice violin and piano work.  The final Romantic Suite track was especially nice

Looking forward to checking this out. The press screening of the film has been postponed twice now, but I'll get to it eventually.

Minari by Emile Mosseri

A more full-bodied cousin of his Kajillionaire score from earlier in the year. It's feels a little too piecemeal in places, but for an immigrant drama of this sort, this offers more than you could hope for in colour and imagination. Mosseri continues to be a distinct voice to look out for.

Christophe Beck - WandaVision (Episode 6 OST album)

I think this is the best overall release yet, and probably a good place to start for someone curious about this score.  The 90s styled sitcom tracks are really fun and the "real world" cues are the best yet, with "Hexpansion" probably being the best single track released so far

Christopher Lennertz - Tom & Jerry

Damn this is great, easily the best score of 2021 so far.  Almost makes me want to watch the silly looking film!

Thomas Newman - The Little Things

We watched this flick on HBO Max a couple weekends ago, and I actually noticed how good the score was in several scenes - it really stood out as being good music.  

So I listened to the OST album on Spotify last week and those same parts were indeed good but there is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooot of filler in between the good parts here.  The album starts and ends strong and the middle is.... also included.

I'd like to make a playlist of the good tracks and listen to that more because I really liked the piano work in the good tracks

Akira Senju - Project Triangle Strategy Debut Demo

Wow!  I noticed the music was decent playing the demo, but gave up on the demo too soon to have caught more than a bit of it.  Now that the gamerip is out I am delighted to find its full of strong memorable music, in the style of classic Final Fantasy games.  Really cool stuff!  The full game score and its OST album should be a treat next year!

It's a fun, feather-weight children adventure score (the main theme is lifted from JNH's recent Nutcracker score) that recalls all his recent scores for this genre, i. e. Maleficent, Huntsman, Nutcracker and so on. It's with many percussion and pop elements and chorus, and thankfully lacks overbearing pathos. I quite dig it (though it certainly is a minor entry).

On 2/26/2021 at 7:03 AM, publicist said:

It's a fun, feather-weight children adventure score (the main theme is lifted from JNH's recent Nutcracker score) that recalls all his recent scores for this genre, i. e. Maleficent, Huntsman, Nutcracker and so on. It's with many percussion and pop elements and chorus, and thankfully lacks overbearing pathos. I quite dig it (though it certainly is a minor entry).

Pretty much this, apart from Nutcracker, which I never got into. It's got JNH's prior work all over it (bit of Goldsmith in places too), and the percussion/pop/electronic elements take some getting used to.

I'm rather enjoying it too - the main theme is pretty catchy (end of Return, end of Running on RaindropsYoung Raya and Namaari)

As a side note, I'm often a fan of credits songs, but unfortunately not in this case - that thing is garbage, and far as I can tell unrelated thematically to the score.

Finding 'Ohana (Joseph Trapanese) - I had high hopes for this; a family friendly adventure score for a movie set in an exotic location but at over 90 minutes, the album is far too long and with far less character than expected. One of those scores that's mostly enjoyable enough at the time but I was bored well before the end.

On 2/27/2021 at 11:15 AM, Richard Penna said:

Pretty much this, apart from Nutcracker, which I never got into.

Due to its balletic nature, i prefer Nutcracker over many other workmanlike JNH things of the last year. It's Tchaikovsky, but so what?

I've decided to listen to Tom and Jerry by Lennertz as apparently everyone here find if pretty cool.

It's indeed a pleasant and funny score with some great action cues. Not my favourite of the year though, WandaVision still keeps my favour.