What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2021 films)

Jay

^

That one is next for me.

Just finished watching Raya And The Last Dragon, and it's... fine, I guess.

Gorgeous animation, some of the best I've seen. Probably the most emotive 'faces' done yet.

Howard should definitely score more animation. He really has the perfect flair for it, even if this isn't anywhere near the best he can do.

NOMADLAND | Morning Coffee Clip | Searchlight Pictures - YouTube

Nomadland

Pretty good.  It was an interesting insight into a lifestyle I knew nothing about, with Frances McDormand being as great as she always is.  I liked the "slice of life" aspect that most of the movie does, though the internal conflict she has between deciding to stay a nomad vs staying with David Strathairn's character gave the proceedings just enough conflict.

It was good, I dunno about movie of the year worthy or anything though.  One thing I did really admire was the direction by Chloé Zhao; One thing she does frequently is have long stretches of dialogue from one scene overlaid over footage from another, really gives the film an interesting style and pacing and keeps you on your toes about what's going on.  It will be interesting to see how much of this kind of stuff she gets to use in her upcoming Marvel movie.

It's free on Hulu

It won the Golden Globe for best drama and best director 2021. It surely is high on my list.

Chloé Zhao is also the director of Marvel's Eternals :o, which will beleased later this year. 

5 hours ago, AC1 said:

Chloé Zhao is also the director of Marvel's Eternals :o, which will beleased later this year. 

17 hours ago, Jay said:

It will be interesting to see how much of this kind of stuff she gets to use in her upcoming Marvel movie.

Coming 2 America is on Amazon Prime Video tonight

Coming 2 America

Meh.  A watered down, PG13 iteration of the R-rated original with none of the bite and a fourth of the comedy. A slew of references to even the tiniest moments from the original are enjoyable, and the new cast members actually do a great job, but a lot of the old guard phone in their roles (especially Murphy) and none of it really matters or says anything.

One curiosity is that there is a huge amount of references to very specific early 90s music (Salt n Pepa, En Vogue, Prince) even though the original film was from 1988, before this style of music was prominent.  Very strange.

The best part about the movie was Wesley Snipes, he was hilarious - I had no idea he could be so funny!

it's free on Amazon Prime but it's not anything overly remarkable.  At least it moves quicker than the slow original flick

Here's the True Tale Behind Netflix's Buzzy New Carey Mulligan Archaeology  Drama, 'The Dig' | Artnet News

The Dig

Nice little light drama about a widow in 1939 rural England who hires an archaeologist/excavator to examine old burial mounds on part of her estate, who ends up finding something older and more important than they could have hoped for.

It's one of those flicks where every character gets their own little stories that wind through the main plot: The widow (Cary Mulligan, so much better here than she was in Promising Young Woman) is dying, the excavator (Ralph Fiennes, who mumbled so much we had to turn on the subtitles) is unrecognized for his work and has a bit of a strange relationship with his wife, one of the new team members who come (Lily James, who was delightful) has a husband who is hiding his homosexual nature from her yet spending more and more time with another team member, so she falls in love with the widow's cousin (Johnny Flynn), etc etc.

It's a slow, yet light and breezy drama that is kind of interesting (turns out its based on a true story) but won't set your world on fire.  I'm not really surprised it didn't get any Oscar noms

It's free on Netflix

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Movie Review - BOSS LEVEL

Boss Level

This is a super-fun sci-fi action flick!  It's sort of an R-Rated Edge of Tomorrow, with Frank Grillo as a man who is stuck in a loop reliving the same day over and over again, which always begins with assassins in his house about to kill him. Each loop he gets closer to figuring out why the bad guy (Mel Gibson, who was great) is trying to kill him and how he can save his estranged ex-girlfriend (Naomi Watts) as well.  Also features a nice supporting cast including Michelle Yeoh as a sword master, Ken Jeong as a bartender, Will Sasso as Gibson's #2, and Rob freaking Gronkowski as a helicopter gunman

It's prime turn your brain off and just enjoy entertainment, and a good one at that - it's refreshing to see a good r-rated violent sci-fi action flick again in the sea of neutered pg13 action fair these days, and the cast is likable and the story intriguing enough.

Directed by Joe freaking Carnahan, it's free on Hulu

Thunder Force, City of Lies & 10 new movies you can now watch at home -  Polygon

Thunder Force

I've never liked any Melissa McCarthy movie I've seen except Spy - I dunno what it is, I just can't get into most of her movies (she's been funny on SNL though).  This was no expection, and potentially the worst movie I've seen with her in it.

It felt like a first draft script that Netflix just shoved money at and said "go make it now".  The premise (meteors have turned some of Earth's sociopaths into supervillains in the 80s, now in modern day an orphan because of a supervillian attack invents a serum to give superpowers to regular people, which blue collar dock worker McCarthy accidentally takes) is fine, but there's nothing to it beyond that, with many scenes existing seemingly to just pad things out and give McCarthy a chance to come up with something funny on set or something.

It's garbage, don't waste your time

It's free on Netflix

Please, no more time loop stories.

There is a short , nominated for Oscar, that shamelessly rips off the superb TWILIGHT ZONE ep ( Jordan Peele version) " Replay"

TZ itself did another time loop story in season two.

In fact , GROUNDHOG DAY, as good as IT was, ripped of a time loop story.

Enuf!😵

14 hours ago, Jay said:

Thunder Force, City of Lies & 10 new movies you can now watch at home -  Polygon

Thunder Force

I've never liked any Melissa McCarthy movie I've seen except Spy - I dunno what it is, I just can't get into most of her movies (she's been funny on SNL though).  This was no expection, and potentially the worst movie I've seen with her in it.

It felt like a first draft script that Netflix just shoved money at and said "go make it now".  The premise (meteors have turned some of Earth's sociopaths into supervillains in the 80s, now in modern day an orphan because of a supervillian attack invents a serum to give superpowers to regular people, which blue collar dock worker McCarthy accidentally takes) is fine, but there's nothing to it beyond that, with many scenes existing seemingly to just pad things out and give McCarthy a chance to come up with something funny on set or something.

It's garbage, don't waste your time

It's free on Netflix

I wasn't keen on Spy, it took a little too much delight in making the male spies (Law and Statham) look like idiots IMO. At least Austin Powers and Johnny English have a degree of affection for what they're sending up. 

Found it somewhat satisfying when Feig tried to pull similar shit with Ghostbusters and fell flat on his face.  

On 4/16/2021 at 1:42 AM, AC1 said:

What made you want to watch this? You can see from miles away that it's garbage.

The wife wanted to watch it

On 4/16/2021 at 6:32 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

I wasn't keen on Spy, it took a little too much delight in making the male spies (Law and Statham) look like idiots IMO.

I thought Statham was hilarious!  I really enjoyed his performance.  I don't remember alot about he plot or anything; I saw it on a long plane ride and it did its job there.

For the most part, I really just don't find Melissa McCarthy funny and am kind of surprised how popular she is.  She has no range, all her movies are the same

• 2 weeks later...

For middle of the road low viewer investment flicks, IMDB ratings (not reviews) are more reliable than the tomatometer score, I find. I've enjoyed plenty of 6.7 IMDB movies just fine. 

Things Heard & Seen (2021)

Things_Heard_and_Seen-ending-explained.j

It's Horror, it's a Drama, it's a Thriller, it's ..., it's ..., it's not so good, but I did manage to watch it till the end. With Amanda Seyfried, Karen Allen, Rhea Seehorn, F. Murray Abrahams, ...

It doesn't look like my kind of movie, but I'll watch it for Seyfried and Seehorn

Nomadland was pretty great. First movie to make me cry in 2021, although the only other thing I’ve watched is Mortal Kombat. 

• 2 weeks later...

May be an image of 2 people, sky and text that says 'AMAZON ORIGINAL MOVIE TOM CLANCY'S WITHOUT REMORSE WATCH NOW prime video'

Without Remorse

This was a decent little action flick.  It was refreshing to finally see one of these Tom Clancy stories with an R-rating instead of PG-13 (though interestingly, that seemed to only translate to being allowed to depict more violence, I don't think anyone swore at all for some reason!)

What I liked about the action scenes is that they (for the most part) went for a more realistic portrayal of how gun battles would actually go down, instead of Hollywood-ized stylized versions.  It was refreshing.

Unfortunately the story telling and world building in between the action scenes was pretty subpar, but for me the action scenes outweighed the negatives there to come out overall as a positive experience

Like the MCU trend, stay tuned for a mid-credit scene that sets up the next movie.

It's free on Amazon Prime

FREE Mortal Kombat (2021) Full Movie Online TV at Johnny Doughnuts in San  Francisco - May 18, 2021 | SF Station

Mortal Kombat

Hehe, actually enjoyable.  The plot makes no sense but the fight scenes are mostly pretty good and the special effects are up to snuff.  This is basically made for, and will probably only be enjoyed by, current teenages and anyone who grew up with the original games.  It's goofy fun.

The whole time i was wondering how they were going to fit Johnny Cage into this, and the final couple seconds that tease him is great, now they can lure an actual big name actor to play him now that this was a hit.

It's free on HBO Max

Tom Clancy's Without Remorse

Really bad movie.  I like most of the movies written by Taylor Sheridan, but this one had a horrible and generic script. The action scenes aren't great, except for one involving a plane sinking in the sea. Score is entirely forgettable.

Oh I dunno, I thought the opening action scene and the attack on his house were pretty well-done action scenes

The Mitchells vs The Machines

Pretty great animated movie, with a fun story and characters. I liked how the movie incorporates the language of social media into itself. 

Just watched The Woman In The Window.

I thought it was a very good movie.

Amy Adams was as always very very good. As was the supporting cast.

I like these sort of movies so I might be a bit biased but I really liked it.

Elfman's score was interesting and really added to the level of confusion the main character experiences in the film.

Hope we see an album release.

The Woman In The Window

I thought it was terrible (anti-enjoyable) and was just about to guess (before Jules' post) how low the score will be at Rotten Tomatoes. My guess it's 31%. One of this year's worst! In my opinion, of course.

gUttUEqsrvaMlK5oL5TSQ54iE96.jpg

I saw Woman In The Window too.

I agree that it is bad. I won’t bother trying to explain it further, but I found this review online that expresses my feelings in a humorous way while not being too juvenile:

”It seems patched together from a word cloud of genre elements that the Netflix audience might like”

and

“At least Anna gets some sort of closure in the end. All audiences will be left with is confusion and disappointment.

Source

The Woman in the Window' Netflix Review: Stream It or Skip It?

The Woman in the Window

I didn't hate it.  It's not great, it's nothing revolutionary or important, and while it features a great cast, I wouldn't say any of them do their best work.

But it is one of those 90s potboiler thriller type movies done with a bit of a modern flair, with some good moments and a pretty nifty score by Danny Elfman.

Sure, it's predictable (it's never the guys who act the most guilty, it's always the guy who acts the most innocent) and some parts made literally no sense (the disappearing knife-wielder scene that's in the trailer), but there are worse ways you can spend 90 minutes

It's free on Netflix

Joe Wright is an excellent filmmaker but by all accounts he had some trouble with that movie and I read that after poor test screenings he had the movie taken away from him to at least some degree for re-editing.

Yea and I think reshoots too

It felt a bit like things were changed around from original intentions while watching at times.

I haven't seen Pride and Prejudice, Atonement, The Soloist, Anna Karenina, or Pan, but I liked Hanna and Darkest Hour (and his Nosedive episode of Black Mirror)