What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2021 films)

Jay

Aye, nothing announced yet, and nothing on NZ iTunes so it's not dropping tomorrow

That would be pretty weird.  Even the slightest Elfman scores (like the 20 minute OST for End of the Tour) get some kind of release, and I'm guessing this score is more substantial than that.

For a while into the movie I thought the score was generic pap, and I was wondering why Elfman was even hired.  But eventually, the score got much more interesting, and even the classic Elfman choir made an appearance.  I'm very much looking forward to checking out the album.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Even the slightest Elfman scores (like the 20 minute OST for End of the Tour) get some kind of release, and I'm guessing this score is more substantial than that.

Apparently scores for Netflix films/scores tend to come out after the film not before it, according to the FSM thread

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I haven't seen Pride and Prejudice, Atonement, The Soloist, Anna Karenina, or Pan, but I liked Hanna and Darkest Hour (and his Nosedive episode of Black Mirror)

The Soloist is definitely a must see, RDJ and Jamie Foxx are just terrific. I haven't seen the others yet though.

I'm in the process of watching Army Of The Dead but ... I don't like it. :(

In fact, Snyder's JL is better.  No contest!

Sigh! Why?!

Eu2AjDRXIAozDO3.jpg

Well, luckily the second half was less chit-chatty (in the most boring of ways) and more exciting. Did anyone notice that one of Snyder's cameras had two dead pixels? At first I thought it was my TV! Very distracting! 

Army-of-Dead-Zack-Synder-Dave-Bautista.j

The woman in the window

I was expecting something awful. But I thought this one to be an okay suspense movie. The plot is engaging enough, the performances are decent and Elfman's score is effective. It's not a masterpiece but it isn't the disaster the critics said it is.

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The woman in the window

I was expecting something awful. But I thought this one to be an okay suspense movie. The plot is engaging enough, the performances are decent and Elfman's score is effective. It's not a masterpiece but it isn't the disaster the critics said it is.

I thought it was fine as well. Does anyone know anything about whether the score will get a release? Doesn't seem to be any movement as yet :((

On 5/20/2021 at 10:41 AM, Jay said:

Aye, nothing announced yet, and nothing on NZ iTunes so it's not dropping tomorrow

On 5/20/2021 at 10:45 AM, Jay said:

Apparently scores for Netflix films/scores tend to come out after the film not before it, according to the FSM thread

My bad, I didn't even realise that I'd already posted my thoughts on the movie too haha

Could it be that it's another Ghost in the Shell situation where the score took a while for a release because there was some sort of issue with the composer firing? I honestly can't remember what the deal was with that release. 

GitS never got an official release ultimately, as the planned program (assuming it exists) was Mansell only. Anything that has come out is purely on Balfe's end (by the man himself, no less).

It's possible, given Ad Astra ran into a similar problem of Balfe's addition delaying the OST (though ironically he'd be the one with the short end of the stick in that scenario). However, given these sorts of score changes tend to be last minute (there had been a pre-order available for a while before cancellation), and LB mentioning something about legal issues getting in the way of having it officially out, it wouldn't surprise me if the original album assembly was junked for no longer representing what was in the film.

Army of the Dead

Wow, that was horrible. It has some decent action scenes, but the script is terrible, filled with plot holes and things that don't make any sense.

Can't believe I'm gonna say that, but the best Zack Snyder movie of 2021 is still Justice League.

At least AofD gave us this super funny Pitch Meeting:

I became less interested in it when I saw it was 2 1/2 hours long.  From the trailer and everything else it looked like it was gonna be one of those 90-100 minute fun fastpaced silly action flicks.  I guess it's not

Fast-paced? Snyder's movies rarely are. No, really the first hour is quite boring, the story itself is serviceable but the dialog is terrible. I even thought I wasn't going to be able to finish this movie. The second part is where they stopped talking and when all the action takes place. That part is definitely watchable. If it's any indication, many fans of Snyder's first zombie film are disappointed.

5 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Dawn Of Dead <=> The Duellists

300 <=> Alien

Watchmen <=> Blade Runner

fixed

32 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Army of the Dead

Wow, that was horrible. It has some decent action scenes, but the script is terrible, filled with plot holes and things that don't make any sense.

Can't believe I'm gonna say that, but the best Zack Snyder movie of 2021 is still Justice League.

At least AofD gave us this super funny Pitch Meeting:

Usually the more the movie is bad, the better the pitch meeting is

army-of-the-dead-dave-bautista-social.jp

Army of the Dead

Dumb popcorn flick riddled with lazy writing and plot holes. But it looks good. And I found it more watchable than Justice League.

On 5/23/2021 at 9:17 AM, Edmilson said:

The woman in the window

It is absolutely the disaster they said. It is way more awful than Army of the Dead which was terrible. Granted if Zack Snyder is the director you know its a crap film. Sure he has a visual style. That doesn't excuse him.

Alex I thought the two dead pixels were blood splatter. I won't go back to check.

Alex your memory is fading. We agree more often than you remember. But still infrequently enough that when it happens it has a wow factor.

Those Who Wish Me Dead': Film Review – The Hollywood Reporter

Those Who Wish Me Dead

This was pretty good!  I liked how it's one of those films that follows two separate storylines and they start intermingling halfway through then are one and the same by the end.

One story follow two mob (I guess?) hitmen (TV's Littlefinger and Movie's Nicolas Hault) as they assassinate a Florida DA and then attempt to assassinate a forensic accountant only to have one thing go wrong after another.... the other story follows Angelina Jolie as a Montana firefighter still not herself after reading a fire wrong that lead to people dying that might not have otherwise, being assigned to man a fire tower near where an assassination attempt occurs....

The film is not very long which works in its favor, as it doesn't have THAT much going on.  Even then, it's extended with scenes that don't actually serve much point, like a weird fire tower jump escape and a crazy lighting storm field run.  But for the most part it's paced pretty well, and all the actors are pretty good, and the dialogue is fine.

It's free on HBO Max

A Quiet Place Pt II 

Too much repetition from the first movie for my liking, maybe I just don't enjoy the concept as much as some. I also get annoyed at the constant shuddering and hyperventilating that Krasinski must have asked for, particularly when Noah Jupe is doing it. Still fun with a big crowd in cinemas!

On 5/26/2021 at 5:36 PM, Jay said:

Those Who Wish Me Dead

I thought it was absolutely crap. Jolie's hair is inexplicably lovely though.

Prominsing Young Woman

First time I get back in theaters since last september, well it was great! I really like the movie, great performance from Carey Mulligan, good script (I love the end) and a really nice score too

disney-cruella-emma-stone-2-1613567862.j

Cruella

Fancy costumes and campy performances galore, but alas there's no meat to these bones. It's ultimately undone by a lukewarm screenplay that feels like it was written by a committee. Cue up The Devil Wears Prada instead.

13 minutes ago, KK said:

It's ultimately undone by a lukewarm screenplay that feels like it was written by a committee.

Too many movies nowadays feel like this.  I mean, you had stuff like that in the studio system, but I guess those were more inspired committees.  No overall artistic focus as of late.

A pity maybe in this case.  The visual of Stone hamming it up as Cruella seems ripe with potential.  

The whole thing is rapidly being consigned to the meme pile.

On 5/22/2021 at 3:14 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

I thought it was great. 

How is that possible. It is terrible.

Every single person has different opinions on things and all opinions are welcome here!

The Conjuring The Devil Made Me Do It.

It was okay for what it is.

The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made me Do It

Geez, that was pretty bad. Not only it is not scary at all, it's also very boring. 

And it doesn't help that I watched The Exorcist on the day before watching this one because it made Conjuring 3 seem even worse. It's like comparing the Brazilian National Soccer team of 1970 (the one with Pelé) with the current team. 

On 5/24/2021 at 8:20 AM, May the Force be with You said:

fixed

Usually the more the movie is bad, the better the pitch meeting is

They do a really good job of analysing scripts that make no attempt at consistency, believability, or common sense.

A Quiet Place 2 - solid sequel that adds Cillian Murphy as the main male protagonist and manages a decent amount of suspense and jump-scares; no mean feat when it's competing against wrapper-rustling weak-bladdered idiots ... seriously if you literally can't fucking well 'hold your water' for less than 2 hours (and that's including ads and trailers), seek medical advice.

The Edge of All We Know. Documentary about black holes following two long-running science collaborations, one being the 4-person team that collaborated on Stephen Hawking's final paper (regarding the preservation of information about matter consumed by black holes) and the other being the international multi-team effort that resulted in the famous first picture of a black hole released in 2019. As most of it is related to hardcore science, you won't learn much you didn't already know about black holes, but the documentary's fly-on-the-wall style gives an inspiring insight into the complexity, excitement, and sense of community behind the research. Nice multi-track cello score by Zoë Keating, too.

It's free on Netflix.