What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2021 films)

Jay

300 came out when I was a teenager and I really liked that film back then. It has all of the things a 14-year-old like in a movie: violence, blood, carnage, great fight choreographies and, of course, Lena Headey's boobs ;).

These days I can't watch that movie for over 15 minutes, but I still remember it fondly.

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Maybe it was just the thrill of watching an R-Rated movie when I was just 14... lol

It's then when your love for capes began. 

Nobody - Bob 'Better Call Saul' Odenkirk's contribution to the 'fiftysomething ass-kicker' action sub-genre. Has the sense to not take itself too seriously, and Christopher Lloyd has a ball as Odenkirk's wily old father.

On 6/12/2021 at 2:09 AM, AC1 said:

More garbage ...

MV5BNzZlYTI0NDYtODg4YS00YjUxLTgwZjItY2Nh

Gave up after 10 or so minutes. It's a B movie but not in a fun way.

I found it much more interesting than you. The scenes of madness were cool and slightly disturbing but it lost me over the air bubble injection bullshit. 

It's no surprise it's one of the lowest scoring films of 2021 on RT. I was hoping for something like Bird Box but alas, it was garbage. 

Well if its on a streaming service I am less harsh because its just a tv movie instead of a real movie.

Watched A Quiet Place this afternoon and decided I'm going to go to cinema and watch Part 2 right after. The first one was solid but the second one is more fun. It is funny though how the kiss are much older. After that, I went to see Nobody with Bob Odenkirk. Seriously, this must be a John Wick spin-off, right? If it is, it's a good one. If it's not, less so. Now waiting for In the Heights to start... 

Karol

I finally saw A Quiet Place Part II! In the cinema for the first time in almost a year. It was truly amazing. The film is better than the first. The cast, direction, writing, cinematography, worldbuilding and score are all perfect! So glad Cillian Murphy finally has a big role in a blockbuster. His scenes with Millicent Simmonds were beautiful. Blunt is just as in the first one on the top of her game. And I was in awe of Noah Jupe's acting. His character goes through a lot of pain and he sold me 100% on it. Just great stuff!

On 6/16/2021 at 5:43 PM, JoeinAR said:

Well if its on a streaming service I am less harsh because its just a tv movie instead of a real movie.

Doesn't make a difference to me. A movie is a movie. 

On 6/20/2021 at 12:09 AM, AC1 said:

Doesn't make a difference to me. A movie is a movie. 

so wrong on so many levels

Okay, okay, streaming gives directors more freedom (if not complete freedom) and they don't have to make movie about superheroes, but other that that? They are the same. 

What's your obsession with Superhero films. You seem to watch a bunch on streaming services. Last movie I saw at the movies was a horror film. That is my favorite genre to see with a group of people. Horror and comedy are the best films to share eith an audience.  But the next Superhero film to hit the big screen is getting excellent critical reviews unlike most Netflix non cinematic stuff.

13 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

What's your obsession with Superhero films. 

Eh, I'm not obsessed with superhero movies, theaters are. You don't seem to be aware of that. Horror is still a fairly lucrative genre too. Of course, Horror is the quintessential theme park ride. You don't even have to go to the theater to experience it. 

193L3.jpg

3 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Eh, I'm not obsessed with superhero movies, theaters are. You don't seem to be aware of that.

They do dominate the boxoffice but they do not dominate the overall film release schedules as they make up about less than 10 percent of overall film releases.

How Hulu comedy 'Plan B' helped star Kuhoo Verma let go of 'sexual shame'

Plan B

Coming-of-age sex comedy about two high school seniors in South Dakota who embark on a road trip after one of them has a sexual encounter where the condom breaks, and the nosy pharmacist in their small town won't give her the Plan B pill.  Not as good as the very similar Unpregnant and not nearly as good as the hilarious Booksmart, but a decent enough romp with two likable leads and a good and important message (and lgbt representation)

Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar Blu-ray (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD)

Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar

HOLY SHIT this was one of the absolute funniest movies I have seen in years!  My wife and I both laughed frequently and heartily throughout this entire ridiculously silly film.

Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo are hilarious but Jamie Dornan steals almost every scene he's in, I had no idea he could be so funny.  Damon Wayans Jr, Michael Hitchcock, Andy Garcia, and Reba McEntire bring their A games as well.  

This film is a total delight and what shame covid ruined its planned summer 2020 release and it got related to the VOD dumping ground this winter!  It should have been held for a summer 2021 theatrical release instead, I think it could have been the sleeper comedy hit of the summer for sure. 

Hopefully it will grow the cult following it deserves once it leaves VOD and shows up free somewhere.

In The Earth - the latest from Ben Wheatley, a freaky-deaky psychedelia-tinged folk-horror that is unsettling almost from the off. Might be too heady a brew for some, but I enjoyed it.

Me and my gay friends say F9. 

The 9 isn't for the number of films in the series but for the number of times it jumps the proverbial shark. stupid Stupid STUPID film that still manages go be fun Fun FUN. ITS so good to be back in the thestre.

Cruella

I wasn't expecting much of this movie but I really dig it. I think it's the best Disney with perhaps Jungle Book. Emma Stone is incredible so is Emma Thompson, the direction is really nice and the all the production design/costumes/make-up part is terrific.

About the score, well I really like it in theater although I thought it was a bit in the shadow of the songs but when I start to listen to the album it's turn out to be excellent, probably the best 2021 score so far IMO.

The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard

As a enormous fan of the first movie, I couldn't miss that one. I find it a bit less good than the first probably because there's not the surprising effect but it's still a lot of fun with a great casting and a really efficient direction.

The Tomorrow War

I thought it was great! Cast was good, action was great. And the VFX on the monsters/aliens were very good and they were very well realised. Not once did I have the feeling they couldn't be real.

Great stuff

Tenet

Cool idea. But what a mess. Overly complex yet laughably predictable. Both protagonist and antagonist are paper thin as characters. In fact, the whole movie feels heartless making it feel utterly pointless and uninteresting.

I’ve read that that dialogue was overall muffled and that people have problems hearing through the masks and the backward speak translated walkie talkies, but that wasn’t the problem at all - the problem is the audio mix.

Dialogue is much too low throughout the movie, even in a casual conversation - so you turn the volume up. But then a moment later the soundtrack and FX is much too high - so you turn the volume back down again. This little ritual repeats itself every 10-20 minutes or so, which is very often in a 2.5 hr movie. It bugged the hell out of me. Annoying AF, as the kids might say.

Uninteresting and annoying.

11 hours ago, AC1 said:

It's gonna flunk on RT. 

It was pretty damned stupid.

I had a blast in Forever Purge 

Any relevant discussion should be avoided since it is Jan 6 exaggerated.

12 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

The Tomorrow War

I thought it was great! Cast was good, action was great. And the VFX on the monsters/aliens were very good and they were very well realised. Not once did I have the feeling they couldn't be real.

Great stuff

Dumbest movie I seen this year by far. And not just blockbuster dumb, just flat out dumb. Did I have fun with it, yeah...kind of. But the inconsistent logic sort of dampened my enjoyment. The alien design is fantastic, but they are unstoppable in one scene and easily killed in the next. 

On 6/22/2021 at 9:52 PM, AC1 said:

Okay, okay, streaming gives directors more freedom (if not complete freedom) and they don't have to make movie about superheroes, but other that that? They are the same. 

Streaming is also the only medium left that allows hardcore violence, language and sex. So I am all for streaming.

The Tomorrow War

Not as bad as I was expecting to be. It has a decent enough script and the action scenes are pretty well shot, despite some obvious CGI. Chris Pratt is better here than he was in JW, JWFK and Passengers, and J.K. Simmons was very manly.

The score however (composed by @Jurassic Shark's favorite composer) was very generic. It could've been the score for any action movie of the last 10 years and it wouldn't make any difference.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The Tomorrow War

Not as bad as I was expecting to be. It has a decent enough script and the action scenes are pretty well shot, despite some obvious CGI. Chris Pratt is better here than he was in JW, JWFK and Passengers, and J.K. Simmons was very manly.

The score however (composed by @Jurassic Shark's favorite composer) was very generic. It could've been the score for any action movie of the last 10 years and it wouldn't make any difference.

The main theme is recycling the same progression from Honor of Kings and His Dark Materials. Everything else is just stitch together from other scores. 

Freaky - 'body-swap' comedy horror that is reasonably amusing with some quite inventive 'kills' that unfortunately goes on to botch things somewhat with an illogical ending seemingly tacked-on in order to tiresomely hammer home an 'empowerment' message.

Black Widow

One word terrific!

Black Widow finnaly got the solo movie she deserved and that was very nice.

[spoilers ahead]

Spoiler

Just find that the end was kinda of weird. Ashamed that they use a cut to black specially depending on what comes after

The Mitchells Vs. The Machines': Review | Reviews | Screen

Mitchells vs the Machines

Pretty good little animated flick about a family that bonds while saving the world from an evil AI trying to take over.  Kind of a blend of The Incredibles, Inside Out, Into The Spider-verse, and some other stuff. The animation style was a close cousin to Into The Spider-verse's look and style, and had the same frenetic pace filled with blink-and-you'll-miss-it jokes that briefly appear on the screen.  But even without all that, it was still a pretty solid movie.  And very nicely integrated lgbt representation.

It's free on Netflix

It'll be up against Luca, Del Toro's Pinocchio, Raya, and a wildcard entry (Vivo, Wendell and Wild, Spirit Untamed, Ron's Gone Wrong, maybe Extinct or one o the ones coming out of Japan)

There are a lot more animated movies coming this year.

Another Disney film where a trailer was just released for is Encanto. Looks very promising

9 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

There are a lot more animated movies coming this year.

Another Disney film where a trailer was just released for is Encanto. Looks very promising

Yep. And coincidentally, Encanto released its first trailer today:

17 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Nice for kids!

Animated != for kids.

Only 90% of the world and industry think that for whatever goddamn reason.

Raya, Luca and Mitchells vs Machines might be for kids, but adults can certainly enjoy them too. If I had children, I'd have no problem in watching these movies with them. On the other hand, stuff like Despicable Me and Minions are meant exclusively for kids under 8 years old.

40 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

30 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Yep. And coincidentally, Encanto released its first trailer today:

?

24 minutes ago, Holko said:

Animated != for kids.

Only 90% of the world and industry think that for whatever goddamn reason.

Really? I think it's the other way around. For some goddamn reason 90% of the people don't even realize most of those movies are for kids. 

Of course, there are exceptions:

MV5BMGRkZThmYzEtYjQxZC00OWEzLThjYjAtYzFk

Stowaway Movie Review for Parents

Stowaway

A small little surprise.  The marketing made me think this was a more action-oriented flick, where the stowaway on their spaceship to Mars would be a mystery slowly unraveled that would result in him being like, there for sabotage or an alien or something.  But this isn't that kind of movie at all!  Everything that happens is extremely straightforward, and the whole thing is really an interesting study on morality: They had enough resources to get 3 people to Mars, but now there is a 4th person on the ship too... what do you do?  What sacrifices are the right ones?

Toni Collete, Anna Kendrick, and Daniel Day Kim were all good, and newcomer Shamier Anderson holds his own against them for the most part.  There isn't a lot of flash to this movie - almost the entire thing takes place in one large spaceship set and there's very little special effects (even the takeoff from earth is entirely shown from within the cockpit), but it doesn't need any splash, it's an interesting character study.

It's free on Netflix

REVIEW: “Luca”; A Movie With A Lot Of Potential That Just Never Gets Off  The Ground - WDW News Today

Luca

Certainly not one of Pixar's best - but let's be honest, even mid-tier Pixar is still pretty good.  And that's what this films is - it's good!  It's just not a new masterpiece like we used to get from Pixar on a somewhat regular basis.

The characters and setting are fun and unique, the pacing is terrific, the story is pretty good.  I liked the analogy at the end about (insert your non-accepted status of choice) finding your own community that will accept you even if greatest society won't (yet).

it was fun!

It's free on Disney+