What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2021 films)

Jay

We watched Pray Away, a film about gay salvation through Jesus Christ. It was interesting, perverse, angering, and insufficiently judgemental.  

Standard documentary style with interviews. Non linear story telling. 

Being gay can be tough. Denying it and living a lie is far tougher.

This weekend we watched:

Gunpowder Milkshake, a pale John Wick imitation that was not clever enough and too gross. The cast almost makes it worthwhile but not quite.

Ice Road, a serviceable Liam Neeson film that is somehow very watchable. Although more than once I thought I'd rather be watching something about the real thing.

Pelican Brief, which does not belong on this list but still made me miss James Horner (even though it was obviously a paycheck movie for him).

Tomorrow War, which I LOVED. There were a couple of times I thought 'Hmmm, I could be watching Edge of Tomorrow" (which is a better Alien War Movie) but I liked the Chris Pratt story that happens to be set against the War. I do NOT need a sequel you idiots!

Greenland, ummmm. I didn't like it. I don't know if it was good or not. It was just a plot and situations that I don't enjoy and if it was well done or not I wasn't going to like it.

Aftermath

aftermath-netflix-review-1200x675.jpg

This horror flick unbelievably B and unbelievably bad, mainly because of the direction and the performance of Ashley Greene. If this isn't going to win some Razzies, then my name isn't AC1. Don't watch this one unless you enjoy bad movies. 

The Suicide Squad

A really fun film, it's what the original movie should have look like

Jungle Cruise

Another fun film. Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt make a great duo, the rest of the cast is really good too

Kaamelott

A bit disappointed by this movie it drags a bit in length as it is over preparating the sequel. Still it was a very nice moment with a great direction.

Suicide Squad it was okay. Nothing remarkable but it didn't suck

Boys From County Hell ... Northern Irish (yay!) horror-comedy in which the residents of a small country town discover that the local legend about a vampiric creature being contained under a cairn (stone pile) in a field (they tell tourists that Bram Stoker visited the town back in the day and ripped off the legend as the basis for Dracula) isn't a legend after all when the cairn is pulled down to make way for a bypass road and the creature is unleashed.

A hoot, with a nice balance between gore and chuckles.

The Suicide Squad was pretty good and funny. Better than what I was expecting, despite being a little predictable. 

John Murphy's rock score worked great with the movie and alongside the songs Gunn chose for it. Leagues ahead of Steven Price''s forgettable score for the awful 2016 film.

4 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Yeah but it's made by a Marvel guy so...

Made by a Marvel guy while being under the yoke of DC!

062221_Old_Shyamalan_Movie.width-696.png

Old

Surprise, surprise...I really enjoyed that. The writing is awful, as you might expect, and the acting is schlocky, but it is committed. If anything, it's at least a great showcase for Shyamalan, the craftsman, as it's littered with exquisite visual composition (some of it is quite beautifully shot) and mood-building zingers. In all the gloriously intentional and unintentional ways, it is funny, thrilling and hard to watch, all at once. There's even moments of grace in all its stupidity. I mean, there's clearly a lot of potential for a much better film than this one (so many simple fixes in exposition delivery, character choices, and trimming unnecessary codas), but I really don't care because it's a fantastic B-movie. The most fun I've had with Shyamalan in years!

Jungle Cruise: I LOVED THIS MOVIE.

Rather than feeling like an Indiana Jones wannabe (like The Mummy) it feels simply like it's (definitely) drinking from the same pool. If you don't like seeing Johnson and Blunt bouncing lines off of each other, stay home. It's something like 80% of the charm of the film. Effects are solid, action set pieces are fun.

Music is terrific.

I'm a little confused why the film happens in South America rather than Africa (inviting even more Indy comparisons). Maybe because they had a plot structure and they felt that more people know about the Conquistadors than any Brits / Europeans who colonized Africa?

I think it's stealing the usual base of WW I Germans = WW II Germans.

Great time at the movies. Or just rent it on Disney+.

Black Widow.

Finally, it’s here, after being delayed and delayed. But was it worth the wait? I would say yes, but it’s certainly not the best movie in the MCU. Luckily, it’s not nearly as bad as Thor 3 either. Do I still want to see more of them? Again, yes. Scarjo is as fantastic as ever, but I’m still suffering from a Rachel Weisz overdose. Where are the days I was totally blown away after seeing her in The Lobster and did she acquire a Russian accent for act two of this movie? The second half is definitely better and the very beginning felt much longer than it actually was. The amount of women also feels a little incongruous because Marvel hadn’t exactly been using them to this extent in the past. I definitely think they overdid it here, but I’m also 100% convinced wouldn’t be saying that had it been other people than Weisz and Pugh, who is terrible. The dialogue was as good as ever, but parts of the story were a bit muddled. The family stuff is a bit predictable too and are they going to bring back the widows? I’d be very interested if they did, but don’t know how I feel about how this one fits into the larger narrative because now we just have to believe Natasha kept in touch with her Russian family and a secret part of me was hoping this movie would reveal her to be terminally ill or something that would make her decision to jump in Endgame a bit easier to digest. I want her back in the MCU! Not the way the post-credit scene wants it, though. Also, why did IMDB claim Robert Downey Jr. would be in this movie? WHERE WAS HE?

Now, the score. I was really disappointed when Desplat was replaced by Balfe and had been hoping for a richly thematic score with violins and flutes. Instead, we got the umpteenth generic Marvel score with interesting yet underdeveloped ideas, a few good moments (that involve trumpets) and a bass-heavy mix. But it’s not Balfe’s fault at all, because when the end credits start, the orchestra explodes into spectacular action music that would have been so perfect for the movie. Oh, wait, I’m forgetting this director said scores shouldn’t influence people’s emotions. That was her, right? I’m not a big fan of Balfe’s music, but he was clearly told to tone it down here and they shouldn’t have done that.

8 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Luckily, it’s not nearly as bad as Thor 3 either.

Why do you dislike Thor: Ragnarok, aka the third Thor movie? It received some excellent reviews and it's generally regarded as the best solo movie starring Chris Hemsworth's Thor.

Maybe you meant Thor 2? That one is indeed a pretty bad film, one of the worst in all of the MCU.

26 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

did she acquire a Russian accent for act two of this movie?

Weisz, Johansson, Pugh, and Harbour were all playing Russians.  The American "family" in the opening scene was a sham for spy work.  Natasha has always been a Russian hiding her accent in all the films.

I am aware that I am in the minority, but Thor: The Dark World (2) is my favorite Thor film. Thor: Ragnarok (3) is my least favorite. Most people have those reversed. Both films have light and sometimes silly comedy. Both films have some surprisingly heartfelt moments. Usually between Thor and Loki. 2 has some really great moments with Anthony Hopkins' Odin.

But 3 just feels like it hates the Thor movies. And I have to admit that sometimes that's awesome. Loki's play (starring Liam Hemsworth, Matt Damon, and Sam Neil) with a freaking on stage choir SINGING THE SCORE from Dark World is delightful. But killing off most of the supporting cast with barely a line of dialog and finally destroying Asgard with a punchline was too much.

Thor 2's biggest weakness was a terrible villain. Which, you know, was mostly standard for Marvel at the point. Even Loki was no great shakes in Thor or The Avengers, IMHO. But I adored him in Dark World and everything since. I enjoyed the chemistry and the conflict among the protagonists. The villain was just the excuse for them to be there. Not ideal, but also not uncommon in the MCU at that point. Also, I loved Tyler's score.

None of the Thor films take Thor very seriously and that's all to the good. But Ragnarok was the first film where you suspected that he wasn't just overconfident but actually stupid.

Plus 3 didn't have Darcy. You can't have a good Thor film without Darcy.

Anywho: We watched The Mighty Ducks last night. Never seen it before. Fun, formulaic kids and sports flick. Nice seeing Joss Ackland playing the heartwarming mentor. And poor David Newman obviously got temped with everything from Field of Dreams to Back to the Future.

Ragnarok is probably my favorite Marvel score.

I also like the movie, but can understand some of the criticisms.

2 hours ago, Permanent Waves said:

Ragnarok is probably my favorite Marvel score.

I also like the movie, but can understand some of the criticisms.

I've really enjoyed almost all of the Mothersbaugh scores I've heard. I especially love Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. But wow did Croods 2 leave me cold. Partly because he wasn't doing it for me but I'm sure a big part was because he wasn't Alan Silvestri. But unlike, say, Henry Jackman he didn't win me over.

5 minutes ago, Permanent Waves said:

I really love the bit starting at 1:07 of the suite with the high strings and descending horns, and then the rising celli part a bit later:

He writes serious music for unserious things and he's great at it. But I can't think of a single moment of any of his scores where I didn't feel like he was winking at least a little bit.

3 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

He writes serious music for unserious things and he's great at it. But I can't think of a single moment of any of his scores where I didn't feel like he was winking at least a little bit.

Kinda my issue with McNeely and Giacchino actually.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Mothersbaugh is a hoot. Apparently for every commercial he scored he would slip in hidden anti-capitalist or jokes about the product within the music. 

4 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I am aware that I am in the minority, but Thor: The Dark World (2) is my favorite Thor film. Thor: Ragnarok (3) is my least favorite. Most people have those reversed. Both films have light and sometimes silly comedy. Both films have some surprisingly heartfelt moments. Usually between Thor and Loki. 2 has some really great moments with Anthony Hopkins' Odin.

Plus 3 didn't have Darcy. You can't have a good Thor film without Darcy.

I love Thor 2 and 3. The Dark World has been assassinated by internet groupthink. Most people that off-handedly joke about it being the worst probably haven't rewatched it in years but it's just reinforced by someone every time Marvel movies come up in conversation. The only huge problems with it are Portman is a little lost and Malekith is a bland villain. But there's so much to love about it. It's the MCU project that gets Loki the most right imo. And visually, Asgard looks far better than it does in Ragnarok, which has the classic MCU soundstage look to it.

Ragnarok is a great movie, but is pretty careless with the universe itself, which I'm not a huge fan of. It's a shame Infinity War had to begin as it does because it really doesn't do the ending of Rag. any favours. But the insanity of things like Fenrir the giant wolf and Sakaar and Goldblum and the costuming and music is right up my alley. 

Really all 3 Thor movies are imperfect, but also pretty great in their own ways. I find rewatching the 1st one to be a drag because of the Destroyer bits. But the Thor/Loki shit in 1 is pretty compelling.

Love and Thunder sounds as if it will get even wilder, and I'm definitely here for that, especially now that we have no previous canon to insult. Really can't wait to watch all 4 as a franchise. If you separate them from the MCU at large the 4 of them (including L&T hypothetically) have such a fun evolution and great mythology. 

On 8/7/2021 at 1:36 PM, Edmilson said:

It's a fun movie! Everyone should see it. 

Its so overrated. Just dumb as hell.

If this is a good movie I sure do not want to see a bad one.

On 7/31/2021 at 8:48 AM, crocodile said:

Suicide Squad. It's better than the other one but that doesn't say much. It tries way too hard and mostly misses the mark. 

Karol

Indeed. A few half-decent gags aside, do not understand the hooplah around this film at all.

Old (M. Night Shyamalan)

I'm a fan, except for Last Airbender, Another Earth and Glass, and found this one OK. Some nice moments in between, but the conclusion, although clever, isn't well executed IMHO

On 8/16/2021 at 10:14 PM, KK said:

Indeed. A few half-decent gags aside, do not understand the hooplah around this film at all.

I agree. And by the end I really could not see another building crumbling. These days, they throw much stuff at the screen, have so many scenes of mass destruction and assault on the senses, it ceases to have any impact whatsover. The Suicide Squad is a movie that could've been easily 50 million dollars chepaer if they got rid of so many pointless and forgettable scenes of mass destruction and CGI creatures. It just makes you numb.

Everyone remembers Stay Puft in Ghostbusters. And he was on screen for what, 40 seconds? Nowadays, so much stuff is put on screen that every potentially memorable element is lost in such a muddled CGI fest

I'm sure The Green Knight's rollout is different in every country.

Here in the US, it is currently $20 on your VOD service of choice.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-green-knight

You should be able to use that site to find out what's what in your country by changing the "Streaming in" dropdown from "United States" to "The Netherlands"

They said it would be on Prime on 21 August. I assumed it would be free, like with Netflix.

Edit: Just checked Prime Video and it says the film is not available in my country. Weird, because I know it's available in The Netherlands. The film is probably still playing in theatres here so I guess that's the reason why I can't watch it. 

Shadow in the Cloud film review

Shadow In The Cloud

LOL!  This movie is hilariously over-the-top goofy fun.  One part creature feature, one part small budget single location thriller, one part WW2 air combat action, all mashed up with a sprinkle of feminism and anchored by a strong performance by Chloë Grace Moretz.  The film doesn't take itself seriously and neither should you, pop some beers and enjoy the fun, goofy ride

It's free on Hulu

Good on Paper review – Netflix dating comedy is OK on screen | Comedy films  | The Guardian

Good on Paper

One of those comedies that starts with a pretty good premise and interesting cast, then kinda goes nowhere with it.  It stars Iliza Shlesinger, a comedian I had never heard of before, as a version of herself (a comedian trying to get more actin roles) who starts dating a guy (Ryan Hansen!) who seems like a perfect match, until slowly the web of lies he covers his entire life in slowly unravels.

Margaret Cho as her best friend and Rebecca Rittenhouse as a rival actress ended up providing more amusement than Shlesinger and Hansen, and the long, pro-tracted ending was a disapointment after the setup in the first 2 acts could have been used to lead into a much better ending.

I'd watch another movie with Shlesinger though, she was both incredibly attractive and pretty funny!

It's free on Netflix

Gunpowder Milkshake' Netflix Review: Stream It or Skip It?

Gunpowder Milkshake

The latest of the John Wick clones we get once a year or so these days, this time about an assassin with mother issues who has a hit go wrong and ends up having to protect a child from an endless sea of opposition, including those sent by her boss (Paul Giamatti) who has no choice in the matter.  She ends up reuniting with her mother (Game of Thrones' Lena Headey) and getting additional help from a trio of assassins (Carla Gugino, Michelle Yeoh and Angela Bassett) as well.

Some of the action scenes are truly terrific, and they try to find as many ways as possible to make them interesting (such as one scene where she is partially paralyzed and has to improvise ways to use her weapons without full use of her arms, or a car chase involving the child steering the car).  Despite this and the great cast, the end result is somehow less than the sum of its parts and ends up being another forgettable affair.

The electronic score by Frank Ilfman was also a bit all over the place, with some more traditional sounds at times, and then Stranger-Things-esque electronics at others.  I might give it a listen.

It's free on Netflix.

The Green Knight

the-green-knight-photo-dev-patel-1377658

Some scenes and elements pulled me in, other pulled me out. Have to see this one again because it's hard to form a clear opinion after only one viewing. The film does contain the most sensual scene of the year though. Holy damn, Alicia Vikander can be so sexy.

17 hours ago, AC1 said:

Some scenes and elements pulled me in, other pulled me out. Have to see this one again because it's hard to form a clear opinion after only one viewing. The film does contain the most sensual scene of the year though. Holy damn, Alicia Vikander can be so sexy.

I loved The Green Knight. Was expecting to be let down because it had so much early buzz but blew me away. What a gorgeous looking movie, would love more stylish mythic films like this. 

Free Guy - shades of The Truman Show, The Lego Movie and Ready Player One in this amusing comedy about a background character in an online game who becomes self-aware. With Ryan Reynolds, Jodie Comer, Taika Waititi and Channing Tatum (plus a host of voice cameos).

On 8/27/2021 at 10:27 AM, Jay said:

Gunpowder Milkshake

The latest of the John Wick clones we get once a year or so these days, this time about an assassin with mother issues who has a hit go wrong and ends up having to protect a child from an endless sea of opposition, including those sent by her boss (Paul Giamatti) who has no choice in the matter.  She ends up reuniting with her mother (Game of Thrones' Lena Headey) and getting additional help from a trio of assassins (Carla Gugino, Michelle Yeoh and Angela Bassett) as well.

Some of the action scenes are truly terrific, and they try to find as many ways as possible to make them interesting (such as one scene where she is partially paralyzed and has to improvise ways to use her weapons without full use of her arms, or a car chase involving the child steering the car).  Despite this and the great cast, the end result is somehow less than the sum of its parts and ends up being another forgettable affair.

The electronic score by Frank Ilfman was also a bit all over the place, with some more traditional sounds at times, and then Stranger-Things-esque electronics at others.  I might give it a listen.

It's free on Netflix.

We watched this a few weeks ago. I have since rewatched John Wick 1 & 2 and seen all of the places that Milkshake went wrong. Milkshake is probably the movie that people that didn't want to see Wick thought that Wick was.

I saw the first John Wick and didn't like it at all, so never bothered with the sequels.  I'm kinda curious if I was just in the wrong state of mind or something and might give it another chance one day.  I tend to like the over the top violent gun action movies like Shoot 'Em Up, Everly, American Ultra, etc, but that one didn't do it for me for whatever reason